Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mloebl
    psampson,

It's actually in the (-)xx.xxxxx format. I'll try those addresses today and see if I can save them. I don't think I'm doing much logic checking on the addresses other than "00.00xxxx".

-Mike
    psampson,

I just tried and that range works... it's probably the formatting as it's only a single decimal place. I'll see if I can add some logic in the future to auto convert to xx.xxxxx.

-Mike

Comment

I have a newer version I'm testing that allows for custom locations, as well as intro support for APRS icons. Was testing it with my two radios and almost finished until someone locked the transmit on their radio so no APRS right now locally, lol. Hope to get it out in the next day or so. Next up after this is a more integrated way to monitor SSIDs based on a virtual device.

-Mike

Comment

Location saving now

Was testing it with my two radios and almost finished until someone locked the transmit on their radio so no APRS right now locally, lol. Hope to get it out in the next day or so.
        -Mike
        mloebl,

I hate it when that happens! Look forward to the next update.

I managed to get the locations to save now. Thanks for the tip. One period too many I think! so I amd using -33.xxxx and -151.xxxx and hopefully that is the right north/south east/west with the hyphens. I can never remember it.

I've not managed my first trigger yet. a) because I had the setting problem, b) because I haven't left the house much and c) because I'm not sure the plugin automatically connects on startup to APRS-IS server. Seems not. I was not connected for a while.

The other thing, in VK I'm trying to find the right APRS-IS feed for the job. None of the servers seemed up this week. I tried with ui-vew32 but could not connect. Port 2032 or any of the VK/ZL only feeds 10153.

So I tried a USA server on 2032 which connected but the traffic is high and I don't know if my VK call will even appear there.

I do run a home base APRS 24*7 on soundcards and AGWPE, so it would be nice to be able to use that as a source locally on my LAN as well as APRS-IS and xastir.

I'll try the AU aprs-is servers again.

cheers,

Phil

Comment

VK Connected now

Looks like its been a while since I connected to a VK server, all new port numbers. So I am using aprs.net.au:14579 for a VK/ZL feed and it connected ok! Thanks for the aprs-server url in an earlier post. that spelt it out in clear detail when I looked at AU servers in Sydney.

So now we see what happens! Will advise..

cheers,

Phil

Comment

Ross,

You can get started with TinyTraker3, a serial GPS, simple 2m radio and ext antenna. Buying it all brand new, not used ran me about ~$200 US (getting it used can probably cut it down quite a bit.) I now use the Kenwood TM-D700 dual bander with a cheapy Sirfstar3 GPS in the back window.
            -Mike
            Mike, Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the info. I'll have a look around and see what my opions are locally.

Thanks.

Ross.

Comment

Using UI-View32 local aprs-is server connects ok

I thought about other data feed sources for APRSparser and it occured to me that even though I have managed to connect to aprs-is with a VK/ZL feed over the internet now, ui-view32 can also be a server on the local LAN (when you tick the right box!).

This means AGWPE directly is not required as long as I run UIview-32. So I enabled the server in UIview-32 (default port 1448) and was able to connect to that from APRSparser locally without issue.

So now I am using an RF feed AGWPE->UIview32->APRSparser. We will se how it goes. When I selected enable server box in UIview32 it would not accept it without selecting a internet APRS-IS server as well. So I just selected one that didn't work (one of the few times something not working is GOOD!) and it appears to just use the incoming RF feed alone. We'll see.
              Ultimately I'll probably use local server, and the VK/ZL feed and RF local feed simulataneously for redundancy.

BTW, for those in Australia, the format for the LAt/Long looks like it should be this: -33.xxxx 151.xxxx I checked on findu to see what I was sending and took the hyphen off 151.xxxx.

cheers,

Phil

Comment

Still no luck

I am using a tinytrack III in Mic-e mode. Still cant get my trigger "less than 3km from home" to fire.

I looked for a debug in the ini file and options but don't see one. Is there a way to turn on logging of the incoming stream and match/mismatch to a trigger? That would really help in these early testing stages.

Cheers,

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

There is some debug code there, I'll see if I can get a debug enabled build out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

-Mike

Comment

Everyone,

I'm going to edit the 1st post in this thread for all future software updates so you don't have to dig thru to find the latest version.

Phil,

The new version I will post has debugging for incoming message decoding. To enable, edit the HSPI_APRSPARSER.INI file, and under settings add "Debug=True" without quotes. Restart Homeseer, then reconnect to your APRS server. I wouldn't let it run to long as it currently logs to the Homeseer log for now (will be changing that hopefully in the future.) However it should dump all incoming data it receives as it tries to decode it. When done, disconnect, and then stop Homeseer, then either delete the line in the ini file, or set it to "False".

Thanks,

-Mike

Comment

Great, I'll give the debug a go.

Hi Mike,

I'll do as you say and see what I can figure out and report back here. Thanks for a logging version, that will make things easier while we try different sources as well.

regards,

Phil

Comment

Logging REALLY helped out

Hi Mike,

The logging really helped me out. Thanks! But not quite there yet.

First: I tried my home UIview32 beacon TX from -1 and logging showed it was still 33km from what I
                        had entered into the Home value in the plugin. so clearly that needed to be fixed by making sure I was more accurate in Lat and Long.

5/03/2006 6:14:37 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~<B>SSID:</B> VK2JNT-1 <B>Message:</B> @050714z3345.16S/15101.82E_095/003g009t075r000p000P000b10110h51/ WPH NSW {UIV32N} <B>Mic-E:</B> False
                        5/03/2006 6:14:37 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Message is not Mic-E, proceeding to decode
                        5/03/2006 6:14:37 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Distance from my location is 33.494 kilometers
                        5/03/2006 6:14:37 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Checking for match on Home

Next: its resolved to less than .4 km. Now were getting somewhere.

5/03/2006 6:26:57 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Processing APRS message
                        5/03/2006 6:26:57 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~<B>SSID:</B> VK2JNT-1 <B>Message:</B> @050726z3345.16S/15101.82E_084/005g009t074r000p000P000b10110h52/ WPH NSW {UIV32N} <B>Mic-E:</B> False
                        5/03/2006 6:26:57 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Message is not Mic-E, proceeding to decode
                        5/03/2006 6:26:57 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Distance from my location is .366 kilometers
                        5/03/2006 6:26:57 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Checking for match on Home

Next: I parked the car in the driveway at home and caused it to tx (-9) Mic-e
                        5/03/2006 6:30:04 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~<B>SSID:</B> VK2JNT-9 <B>Message:</B> >TinyTrak3 v1.00 <B>Mic-E:</B> False
                        5/03/2006 6:30:04 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Message is not Mic-E, proceeding to decode

Thats all I got for -9. Nothing noting distance from home etc. So I'm not sure if its Mic-e formatting, or what "False" means. Can you please clarify?

I think with -1 being less than 0.4km from the plugin "home" setting, I'm safe to assume the house is still in the right location :-) but its -9 the car I'm having trouble with.

thanks,

Phil

Comment

got it Sorted!

Mike,

Looks like the entry I was trting to match was only a Tinytrak III Mic-E BEACON. With no posit info. So on driving a round the area near home some more I was able to trigger an event succesfully with proper posit entries:

5/03/2006 6:55:22 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Processing APRS message
                          5/03/2006 6:55:22 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~<B>SSID:</B> VK2JNT-9 <B>Message:</B> `OYhn,Y>/"5F} <B>Mic-E:</B> True
                          5/03/2006 6:55:22 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Message is Mic-E, proceeding to decode
                          5/03/2006 6:55:23 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Distance from my location is .287 kilometers
                          5/03/2006 6:55:23 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~Checking for match on Home
                          5/03/2006 6:55:23 PM ~!~APRSParser Info~!~APRSParserAPRSParser SSID TriggerVK2JNT-9Less than3Home
                          5/03/2006 6:55:23 PM ~!~Info~!~Event Trigger "Car in home Range"

So all is good so far! Great work. I must say the debug is really useful. without it I would not know which areas to resolve. It may be useful if an HS device or two was updated with this info. I think the correction to my home Lat and Long was the only problem in getting a trigger and the how far from home msg was the clue.

regards,

Phil

Comment

Suggestion automatic connect on startup of HS

Mike,

So far so good. I have had to restart HS a number of times tonight and keep forgetting to restart APRSParser. Would it be possible to add a variable in [settings] to allow automatic connection to the server on HS startup if desired?

I guess an extension to connection management, could also include a setting to reconnect x number of retries in y minutes, before giving up and logging a server lost message.

Thanks and regards,

Phil

Comment

Phil,

Glad to hear it! There are a few reasons I've been able to find for the location discrepency... Accuracy of the GPS(s) as well as differences in the converters used to change between different location formats all play a part. I ended up taking the reading that the car said for "Home" and used that as my Home location; it brought it down to I believe .001miles.

The latest build I have here already has an auto connect on startup feature that I added late last night. I'm going to be looking into catching a disconnect event to be able to reconnect on lose of connection hopefully soon.

Not sure if you do any transmitting of weather data, but I also wrote another plugin that is a OWW semi-compatible server. Let's me grab my data from Homeseer devices, create a listening socket on my Homeseer box, and then my Xastir server connects, and gets the data every x minutes based on an HS event, and then it transmits over APRS which then eventually finds it's way to Findu.

-Mike

Comment

Weather and APRS

Hi Mike,

I do post weather and it finds its way to findu as well, but I use a different method.

I have my WM918 weather station hooked to another windows box running APRS UIview-32 and Weather display. Weather display creates an APRS-ready datafile which I add to my beacon on RF and finds its way as VK2JNT-1 and over the internet as CW1324. I also have weather display sending a few variables over xAP as a test to HS xAP conduit. But mormally I use a weatherdisplay HS script to fill some HS devices over the net from a updating text file. From there I have events and mainlobby doing stuff with it.

You will find the northeast USA weather to be the inverse of ours down under! eg we have a hot Christmas, new years day 2006 was 45 degreesC!

cheers,

Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X