Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Script Error - Anyone know how to fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script Error - Anyone know how to fix this?

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime1 noWrap align=left>9/14/2008 9:34:23 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType1 align=left colSpan=3>Error </TD><TD class=LOGEntry1 align=left colSpan=8>Running script, cannot add script engines: Unable to cast COM object of type 'MSScriptControl.ScriptControlClass' to interface type 'MSScriptControl.IScriptControl'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{0E59F1D3-1FBE-11D0-8FF2-00A0D10038BC}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

See if this web page offers any help.
    http://support.genopro.com/Topic7010-60-1.aspx
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by RacerChris View Post
      <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=LOGDateTime1 noWrap align=left>9/14/2008 9:34:23 PM </TD><TD class=LOGType1 align=left colSpan=3>Error </TD><TD class=LOGEntry1 align=left colSpan=8>Running script, cannot add script engines: Unable to cast COM object of type 'MSScriptControl.ScriptControlClass' to interface type 'MSScriptControl.IScriptControl'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{0E59F1D3-1FBE-11D0-8FF2-00A0D10038BC}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
      Rupp,

THanks of the reply. I followed the link and the REG update was successful. But it appears to not have done anything. Error in HS Log appears very similar to above. Note that I did not boot; I'm recording the game right now :-)

Comment

Can't seem to get rid of this error in the log. I tried the suggestion above, but it still shows a problem...

Functionally, HS seems to be ok, but i'm afraid it'll eventually affect something...

Comment

Can't seem to get rid of this error in the log. I tried the suggestion above, but it still shows a problem...

Functionally, HS seems to be ok, but i'm afraid it'll eventually affect something...
          I have this problem too, and it doesn't go away when I try the regsvr32 fix detailed in other columns. It appears to be preventing the following plugins from working - UltraM1G, UltraMon and Squeezebox.

Any advice on how to fix? Totally clean install of Vista - applied all service packs, and then installed HS PRO

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by nojstevens View Post
            I have this problem too, and it doesn't go away when I try the regsvr32 fix detailed in other columns. It appears to be preventing the following plugins from working - UltraM1G, UltraMon and Squeezebox.

Any advice on how to fix? Totally clean install of Vista - applied all service packs, and then installed HS PRO

Jon
            Try loading the script control using this link:
            http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Try loading the script control using this link:
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
              Rupp,

Thanks for the advice - i've actually given up now and installed XP, and all is running fine. I think I will leave the modern stuff for when HS is Windows 7 compatible and upgrade next year.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by nojstevens View Post
                Rupp,

Thanks for the advice - i've actually given up now and installed XP, and all is running fine. I think I will leave the modern stuff for when HS is Windows 7 compatible and upgrade next year.

Jon
                Good choice

Comment

I am not so sure that loading XP was necessary. The issue was not that the script control was not loaded properly, but that something referencing the script control was not installed or set up properly. As one person mentioned, it was only affecting some plug-ins, not (apparently) HomeSeer.

I would like to know from the plug-in authors what they are doing, if anything, with scripting. If it was a HomeSeer installation/update issue, then we would like to fix it, and if it is something the plug-ins are doing wrong, we would like to help them get it fixed.

Unfortunately HomeSeer's VBScript support is dependent upon the MSScript control, but so far issues on Vista have always been fixed by registering the control. It is a very old system that has not been updated (and will never be again) since 2004.

If you are doing anything with scripts, especially if it is inside a plug-in, then they should start migrating over to VB.NET scripts as those will at least go a little longer before they get deprecated.
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                    I am not so sure that loading XP was necessary. The issue was not that the script control was not loaded properly, but that something referencing the script control was not installed or set up properly. As one person mentioned, it was only affecting some plug-ins, not (apparently) HomeSeer.

I would like to know from the plug-in authors what they are doing, if anything, with scripting. If it was a HomeSeer installation/update issue, then we would like to fix it, and if it is something the plug-ins are doing wrong, we would like to help them get it fixed.

Unfortunately HomeSeer's VBScript support is dependent upon the MSScript control, but so far issues on Vista have always been fixed by registering the control. It is a very old system that has not been updated (and will never be again) since 2004.

If you are doing anything with scripts, especially if it is inside a plug-in, then they should start migrating over to VB.NET scripts as those will at least go a little longer before they get deprecated.
                    I might be wrong but I think the scripts that weren't working were ones that aren't .net yet? namely UltraMon, UltraM1G and Squeezebox. I did try several hours to get HS to work with scripts properly - found a few links that pointed me at CLI commands, but the problem remained. I didn't try Rupp's suggestion above however.

Jon

Comment

I would definitely try it - that is a download and (probably) automatic install of MSScript.ocx. What the error is saying though is that a type library that uses it is having a problem, so it may not fix it.

The other method is that you probably already have msscript.ocx on your system from the HomeSeer installation, it is just not registered. Go to your \Windows\System32 directory with a command prompt and type:
                      Code:
                      regsvr32 msscript.ocx
                      If it comes back with a message that the registration succeeded, then try starting HomeSeer again and see if it works.
                      Regards,

Comment

I would definitely try it - that is a download and (probably) automatic install of MSScript.ocx. What the error is saying though is that a type library that uses it is having a problem, so it may not fix it.

The other method is that you probably already have msscript.ocx on your system from the HomeSeer installation, it is just not registered. Go to your \Windows\System32 directory with a command prompt and type:
                        Code:
                        regsvr32 msscript.ocx
                        If it comes back with a message that the registration succeeded, then try starting HomeSeer again and see if it works.
                        Wish I could try it, but I've gone back to XP now :-(

I will consider giving it a go this weekend, but the general consensus here seems to be that HS runs best/easiest on XP.

Jon

Comment

Oh yes - if you have made the switch to XP, STAY THERE.

There might come a day, Windows 7 is rumored to be it, when there is a fixed version of Vista. Until that day, people either go back to XP or move on and get an Apple!

Vista is the next generation of Windows/Me if you remember that poc.
                          Regards,

Comment

Oh yes - if you have made the switch to XP, STAY THERE.

There might come a day, Windows 7 is rumored to be it, when there is a fixed version of Vista. Until that day, people either go back to XP or move on and get an Apple!

Vista is the next generation of Windows/Me if you remember that poc.
                            Rick,

I'm from the Mac world - 20 years hated Windows - I looked at HS as my main mac was in my study and I had just installed a Windows Home Server in the basement to pool my storage. I needed to get my home automation from my mac onto a PC (i.e. WHS). I googled and eventually found Homeseer and its pretty much consumed the last 8 weeks of my life and all my disposable income! However, it has opened my eyes to the Windows world - building PCs, the different OS's and I must say my Mac is hardly ever used now. I like the Mac, but the Mac world is a little boring - not a lot of solutions or choice - for example on my HS box I rely on Lantronix Port redirector and Stunnel to name a few third party solutions - such solutions do not exist or play nice on the mac. That being said, HS on the Mac would be a good development, but HS devised for the WHS might be a better place to spend your time.

I have Windows 7 running on my media center - it is my main TV - on all day, records non stop and plays lots of movies. IT NEVER CRASHES - my wife is very very happy with it and we can wave goodbye to 2 years of Vista Media Center and its perculiar behavior. I cannot wait for 7 to be released, and more so for HS to support 7 - then I can upgrade all my PCs to 7 and have done with the constant XP/Vista/2003/2008 decisions I seem to be facing these days. I also hear WHS is moving to a form of 7 next year. And it seems as snappy as XP.

Jon

Comment

as one of the rare freaks who loves Vista, I guess all I can say is that I'll look forward to W7 even more! Tell me...does W7 MC support Vista extenders?
                              Plugins:
                              BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Working...
                              X