This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 Noob Question

I feel really stupid having built and managed several XP system, but I'm brand new to Windows 7 and am trying to move my Homeseer to a spanking new box running Win7 Pro 32-bit. I've got HS Pro 2.5.0.5 installed, but haven't made much progress after that.

First problem: Every time I try and start HS Pro, Windows pops up a security alert of some sort: "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?" How do I tell the darn thing that I trust HS? I'd like to eventually know this thing can start up unattended, but it certainly won't with this pop-up.

Second: As it starts, I get two very similar errors, one from HS compatibility (in the log) and one from the Speaker app (as a pop-up). The one from hs compatibility is: "Unable to initialize HomeSeer 1.x compatibility interface: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {4B3C1F4A-4B61-4897-B13F-5DF3D40C7954} failed due to the following error: 80040154"

I've tried doing a repair on HSPro, and then I tried completely uninstalling it and re-installing, but with on change. I'm guessing I will be embarrassed at not knowing what these mean, but I guess at this point I'd rather be embarrassed and get by the problems than remain stuck. Anyone wanna take a shot at me?

Steve

Steve,
    When you start HomeSeer right click on the .exe and select Run as Administrator and this should take care of the popup. Were you logged in as an administrator when you installed HomeSeer?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Steve,
      When you start HomeSeer right click on the .exe and select Run as Administrator and this should take care of the popup. Were you logged in as an administrator when you installed HomeSeer?
      I should have mentioned that: I did see the "Run as Administrator" and tried it. No diff. The homeseer account I set up on this machine (the only account, since it is intended to be a dedicated HS server) is set up as Administrator.

Any other ideas?

Steve

Comment

Did you install it using the "Run as admin" option?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Did you install it using the "Run as admin" option?
          Rupp - That seems to have made some progress. I uninstalled and then reinstalled running the installer as administrator, and the hs compatibility error seems to have gone away, I think. The other problems remain. I can't start HS without the "do you want to allow" pop-up, and speaker app still throws the same error on VR.

Sigh... Programming seems so easy, building computers seems easy. Heck, world diplomacy seems easy. This stuff... this is hard.

Comment

Steve,

Have a quick read about disabling UAC in Windows 7.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Try the following:

1. Start -> Run
              2. Type secpol.msc and hit enter. Local Security Policy window appears.
              3. on the left navigation panel, click on local policies -> Security Options.
              4. On the right panel, scroll below until you see "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in admin approval mode".
              5. Double click this option which opens a window. Navigate to Local security setting tab, select "Elevate Without prompting" from the drop down and apply the changes.
              6. Restart

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Steve,

Have a quick read about disabling UAC in Windows 7.
                Pete,

You da man. I knew it would be something easly. I did find a way to create a new icon that was actually a shortcut for running a task I created in task scheduler, where the task was set to run with full administrator privs. It works, but it's pretty obtuse.

I also think I realized the VR error the speaker is having may be simply because I don't have mic plugged in yet.

My next problem: I have HS send out emails, and on XP I used Outlook Express, which is no more. I installed Windows Live Mail (much bigger), and I can tell it has MAPI because if I try and turn on mail in HS before I run Live Mail I get an error already. However, if I try and send something out from HS with Live Mail up I get tons of error messages in the HS log (about 10 per second) until I turn mail back off in HS. I know I can try again to master the magic of stunnel (tried once, but never got it to work with my hotmail) but... Does anyone know how to get HS sendemail to work with MAPI on Win7?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by cjr18 View Post
                  Try the following:

1. Start -> Run
                  2. Type secpol.msc and hit enter. Local Security Policy window appears.
                  3. on the left navigation panel, click on local policies -> Security Options.
                  4. On the right panel, scroll below until you see "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in admin approval mode".
                  5. Double click this option which opens a window. Navigate to Local security setting tab, select "Elevate Without prompting" from the drop down and apply the changes.
                  6. Restart
                  Is that another way to disable the UAC? I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Steve,
                    There are numerous ways documented on the Internet. I looked for one all solution and couldn't find anything but multiple step by step solutions. Here's another one:

For those of us that find ourselves disabling Vista UAC for the whole system (points finger at self), we now have the ability to disable UAC per application. Thanks to Microsoft KB946932, here’s the solution:

Using the tool and steps below, you may disable UAC prompt for the specific application. This does not disable the User Acount Control feature for the whole computer.

1. Download and install the Application Compatibility Toolkit from this link:Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0
                    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

2. In the Start menu, locate the new folder. Find the shortcut icon for Compatibility Administrator. Right click it and clik Run as administrator.

3. In the left hand pane, right-click on the database under Custom Databases and select Create New, and select Application Fix.

4. Enter the name and other details of the application you want to alter behavior on and then browse to it to select it. Click Next.

5. Click Next until you are in the Compatibility Fixes screen. 6. On the Compatibility Fixes screen, find the item RunAsInvoker, and check it.7. Click Next and then Finish.8. Select File and Save As. Save the file as a filename.SDB type file in a directory you will easily find it.9. Copy the <filename>.sdb file to the Vista computer you want to alter the elevation prompt behavior on.

10. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories. Right click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.
                    Taken from this site:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                      Is that another way to disable the UAC? I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Steve
                      As I understand it, it doesn't technically disable UAC, but rather automatically grants permission to any application that would otherwise prompt. I had a similar issue with my APC UPS software, and found the solution here: http://emea-en.apc.com/app/answers/d...ill-start-upon

Chris

Comment

I didn't see the posts here because I had my head in my equipment closet all day. With slick roads and temps never getting above zero, I decided to stay home and work on this. I've made lots of progress, and mostly have things working after the move to Win7/32. A few irritations:
                        • After I discovered that my eight ATT CDs of voices won't install on Win7, I spent $100 on four Cepstral voices. I hope I don't offend anyone, but these voices are horrible! It's only a slight improvement over the Microsoft Mary that came with XP. I really hope someone can tell me how to get my ATT CDs onto Win7. I also have some Neo voices, but I can't find the CDs.
                        • The ADIOcelot plug-in really needs to be upgraded. I'm pretty dependent on the Ocelot, but this poor plug-in barely managed to work under XP. I tried installing it, and it had all sorts of problems. Eventually I managed to simply copy the ADIOcelot section out of my old settings.ini file into the new one, and it seems to be working. I can't edit the config, because there is no config window. Anyone willng to take on a .NET translation?
                        • My homeseer has its own dedicated hotmail account, and I'd like to be able to send (and maybe receive, but mostly send) messages. I had been using Outlook Express, which is long gone in Win7. Can someone who is running HSPro on Win7 and doing email give me some hints? I had tried stunnel at one time, but never got it to work with hotmail. It was probably just me...
                        If I can manage to get this system back somewhat close to what I used to have under XP, I'll be happy. It is a much faster machine, and Win7 is much nicer to work with (if I can get used to it).

Steve

Comment

I didn't see the posts here because I had my head in my equipment closet all day. With slick roads and temps never getting above zero, I decided to stay home and work on this. I've made lots of progress, and mostly have things working after the move to Win7/32. A few irritations:
                          • After I discovered that my eight ATT CDs of voices won't install on Win7, I spent $100 on four Cepstral voices. I hope I don't offend anyone, but these voices are horrible! It's only a slight improvement over the Microsoft Mary that came with XP. I really hope someone can tell me how to get my ATT CDs onto Win7. I also have some Neo voices, but I can't find the CDs.
                          • The ADIOcelot plug-in really needs to be upgraded. I'm pretty dependent on the Ocelot, but this poor plug-in barely managed to work under XP. I tried installing it, and it had all sorts of problems. Eventually I managed to simply copy the ADIOcelot section out of my old settings.ini file into the new one, and it seems to be working. I can't edit the config, because there is no config window. Anyone willng to take on a .NET translation?
                          • My homeseer has its own dedicated hotmail account, and I'd like to be able to send (and maybe receive, but mostly send) messages. I had been using Outlook Express, which is long gone in Win7. Can someone who is running HSPro on Win7 and doing email give me some hints? I had tried stunnel at one time, but never got it to work with hotmail. It was probably just me...
                          If I can manage to get this system back somewhat close to what I used to have under XP, I'll be happy. It is a much faster machine, and Win7 is much nicer to work with (if I can get used to it).

Steve
                          Sounds like it would have been a WHOLE lot easier to simply load XP especially since this an automation server. I tried Win7 but as you I'm too reliant on old plugins that may never be updated. The fact that I'm never on the hardware makes the fact that it is "much nicer to work with" is a non issue for me.

Comment

Yeah I currently prefer my HS W2003 setup over my W7 test setup. I guess if I were to use W7 I would stick with using W7 Starter edition as you don't need much to run HS.

I don't really utilize the console in HS so don't really need fancy graphics or visual styles (Aero).

I currently mostly use W7 Ultimate on two computers - one mostly just for MCE.

Steve, I was able to get NeoSpeech to work fine in W7 (if you find your disks). My preferences are still with NeoSpeech versus the AT&T voices. The best voice but I could never find it for public consumption was the Acapela Heather. I did try it though and it is most impressive.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Steve
                              Steve,

AT&T voices have a check in the installer to verify OS versions and it doesn't recognize anything newer than XP. There are documented workarounds on the board that use the Microsoft utility ORCA to modify the installer. Try this thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=111814

This should be made a knowledge base article by the Homeseer staff, it's amazing how many times people have to solve the same problem over and over.

Comment

Working...
                              X