Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most elegant way to control Honeywell Zwave Thermostats, and other thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most elegant way to control Honeywell Zwave Thermostats, and other thoughts.

Hello,
    What are people's opinions regarding the best way to use a Honeywell Zwave thermostat?

It has a 7 day programming capability, so it is possible to simply use it as a regular thermostat, and then use HS to apply different setpoints for unusual situations (i.e. HS reckons no one is home for a while).

I'm not quite sure how best to use that approach, though, because there isn't an explicit zwave "run schedule" or "resume schedule" command. Neither is there a "hold temperature" command (as far as I can see).
    I think it defaults back to the schedule at the next change if the setpoint is set by zwave, (but I need to check that). This would mean that holding for a long period of time would require re-setting the setpoint after each self-timed change of the thermostat. Ugly...

The alternative is to just dumb down the thermostat (which can be done in the advanced options). Then control the temperature completely with HS. I haven't done this in the past due to past HS2 flakiness, but I'm leaning towards doing this now.

Finally, if one is to consider complete HS control, like this, perhaps it makes most sense to install a bunch of cheap thermostats set to 60F as a back stop to keep the house save in winter if HS dies, and then simply override them with a set of relays in paralllel with the thermostats, controlled by an Arduino. This gives all the funtionality at a fraction of the cost, and furthermore would allow the use of smaller, less obtrusive, thermostats. Clearly temperature information mush be obtained elsewhere, such as from HSM100 units.

Thoughts?
    Doug

You have HS3 why not use it as the controller. Then you can bring other external data into HS3 to modify the schedules such as when the house is unoccupied set back the stat. Or when the security alarm is armed set back the stat. You get a little cold/hot bump up/down the stats set point, etc. BLStat is another good options as it has scheduling built into the plugin to make controlling it a bit easier as well.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I second the Blstat pi recommendation. You can create as many different schedules as you want and load them from any trigger you can come up with. For example I have a virtual device called holiday. When I turn it on it loads a schedule for when we are home during days when the system would normally be set back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I'll third this. I have this thermostat, and simply disabled the programming.

Comment

Honeywell ZStat Scheduling Enable/Disable

Is this discussion about the Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 t-stat? If not, then never mind but if so, is scheduling disabled via setup function 160 (schedule format) by setting Programmable to Nonprogrammable? I use BLSTAT and would like to manage the t-stat from BLSTAT and not have the internal schedule in conflict.

Also I just moved this stat from HS2 (working perfectly) to HS3 using SmartStick+ and shortly after the stat is added I see Communication Lost in the message area of the stat and HS3 can no longer test or connect to it. Zwave ver is beta 3.0.1.53. Should I revert to 3.0.1.25?

Comment

Originally posted by cbabkirk View Post
            Is this discussion about the Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 t-stat? If not, then never mind but if so, is scheduling disabled via setup function 160 (schedule format) by setting Programmable to Nonprogrammable? I use BLSTAT and would like to manage the t-stat from BLSTAT and not have the internal schedule in conflict.

Also I just moved this stat from HS2 (working perfectly) to HS3 using SmartStick+ and shortly after the stat is added I see Communication Lost in the message area of the stat and HS3 can no longer test or connect to it. Zwave ver is beta 3.0.1.53. Should I revert to 3.0.1.25?
            Correct! Just switch it to non programmable. Nice thing is you can still do local control, which will be reported immediately back to HS3.

I'm still running on .25 -- I don't like betas. I have had Lost Communication once. The solution was to pull out the unit from the wall and put it back in. It appears to have gotten confused.

Comment

Working...
            X