Scam calls using my number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scam calls using my number

I've been getting a lot of scam phone calls using local numbers, including my own. I'm pretty sure it's not my future self calling me to give me this weeks lottery numbers.
    One thing I have noticed regarding scam calls in general is that often the calling number is provided (fake of course), but the caller name is not. HSP is displaying "O" in the name field. Not sure if it's HSP adding this or if that's actually the name being transmitted. I do know that most if not all legitimate calls do provide calling number AND name, or if CallerID is blocked then neither. These I'd want to continue to have treated as Private CallerID calls.

Can anyone provide pointers to modify the HSP scripts so that when a number is provided without a name (or O), the call will be treated as a blocked Caller ID. I do have a "Private" entry in my address book which doesn't ring in but eventually HSP is answering the call anyway. I'd need to just let the caller hear ringing without any answer to discourage them.

I've looked at these scripts in the past and they don't look to be too complicated but if I happen to screw up, I'd really have no way of knowing when my phone doesn't ring any more.

Thx
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
    I've been getting a lot of scam phone calls using local numbers, including my own. I'm pretty sure it's not my future self calling me to give me this weeks lottery numbers.
    One thing I have noticed regarding scam calls in general is that often the calling number is provided (fake of course), but the caller name is not. HSP is displaying "O" in the name field. Not sure if it's HSP adding this or if that's actually the name being transmitted. I do know that most if not all legitimate calls do provide calling number AND name, or if CallerID is blocked then neither. These I'd want to continue to have treated as Private CallerID calls.

Can anyone provide pointers to modify the HSP scripts so that when a number is provided without a name (or O), the call will be treated as a blocked Caller ID. I do have a "Private" entry in my address book which doesn't ring in but eventually HSP is answering the call anyway. I'd need to just let the caller hear ringing without any answer to discourage them.

I've looked at these scripts in the past and they don't look to be too complicated but if I happen to screw up, I'd really have no way of knowing when my phone doesn't ring any more.

Thx
    You don't even need a script. Just add two entries for "O" to your address book - one with "O" as the first name and another with "O" as the last name. Leave all the telephone numbers for both of these blank. On both, check the "answer this caller after number of rings" and set it to one ring. Also check the "hang up on this caller". HS will now find a "name match" on "O" and hang up on it regardless of the number!

I think the "O" is supposed to represent "out of area", but that's just a guess. There's a "treat as out of area" option in address book, but I haven't found any documentation as to how it's supposed to be used.
    Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Now why didn't that occur to me ???
      Thanks for the enlightenment. Yesterday, I had four of these calls. One a day is annoying enough.
      I wasn't aware actually the number in the address book could be left blank.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
      X