Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honeywell TH8320ZW Zwave not communicating - Solution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honeywell TH8320ZW Zwave not communicating - Solution!

I have been using this thermostat for about 7 months and it was working fine. I originally had it on a z wave network with my Honeywell alarm but kept losing connection so switched to a Hometroller Zee and was no longer having connection issues. I noticed last night that it was not displaying set point temperatures in HS3. I then tried sending commands to change the set point on the stat and they were not being acknowledged. I tried testing the connectivity of the stat and it failed. I then tried power cycling the stat by removing from the wall and still no connectivity. I then removed the node from HS3 not the stat thinking I would add the stat back to the HS3 to see if this would correct the problem. When I went to the stat to remove the node it took many attempts for it to be removed. It would say action failed or a couple times it hanged just flashing wait for about 10 to 15 minutes. Finally had to power cycle to get it stop trying to remove the node. I shutdown the Hometroller Z and had the z stick in exclusion mode to see if that would remove the node but did not work. Finally after about an hour and a half it finally removed the node at the stat. I then put the z stick in inclusion mode and tried to add the node but it would just say action failed. Tried multiple times and no luck. I also tried adding to the Honeywell alarm system again but it is also not connecting. I am thinking something is wrong with the stat but was curious if anybody else had any ideas what I can try and do to get it to pair again.

I don't want to say the problem is solved but I was able to include the thermostat back onto the network. I had planned to reset the thermostat back to default but tried including it one more time before doing the reset. The first time I tried it did not work but the second time it did. It's only been functioning about 12 hours now so level of confidence is not high as I don't really know why it lost communication in the first place. The only other thing I can think for getting it to include/exclude is when entering the setup in the thermostat you have two options. One is hit system and hit the middle button at the bottom and the other is hit system and the two button outside the middle button which I think allows for more advanced programming. When I was trying it without success I was entering the standard programming function. I still had the option to include/exclude zwave but maybe that does not really work in that mode. When I was trying last night I was in the advanced programming. Fingers crossed that it will keep working.

Comment

Similar Issue??

What version are you running?
      Mine was working along just fine but I just upgraded to 3.0.0.194 a couple of days before leaving for a long weekend. I manually set the temperature up to 80 using the actual thermostat and selected hold. On the way back home I tried to connect and set the temp back down and although I could connect to my system, I could not do anything to the thermostat.
      Once I got home, I found that I couldn't connect to it from the server however I'm getting a status update once in a while. (ie. when I actually push buttons on the TStat). I haven't started removing and inserting it in HS3 yet. I'm looking for info on the forum first.

Comment

Funny you posted this today as my tstat just lost a connection again and I noticed it last night. I had just upgraded to the same version 3.0.0.194 Saturday night so I am assuming there is a correlation. I also didn't think of it at the time but I believe I had also upgraded before I lost the connection last time. I had to shutdown the controller and remove the zstick and remove the tstat and then join again to get it work last night. Also had to redo the programing. I have two tstat's in the house and the one in the master bedroom has not been effected by the upgrades so not positive that is the problem but seems to point that way if you also had an issue.

Comment

I had a similar issue with at the same time I upgraded to 3.0.0.194 but there may have been some other things thrown into the mix at the time. In any case I had to remove the thermostat from HS3, pull it off the wall for a few seconds and then add it back into my network. From there it has worked fine. (knock on wood )

Comment

I also experienced a communication issue today, having just upgraded to 3.0.0.194 two days ago (coincidence?). I have 2 tstats, neither would respond to an HS command to change mode to cool. I could see the CAPI command being sent, but nothing happened at the thermostats. A quick restart of the zwave interface solved my problem... for now.
            Mike

Comment

removed / added

I removed then added the thermostat back in and all communication is now working again. I'll monitor it closely for the next couple of weeks and then whenever I do an update.

Comment

I have had the same issue. I am running 3.0.0.192 (Linux) (so no recent Homeseer upgrade) but I did recently upgrade the Z-Wave plugin to 3.0.1.25. For me, taking it off the wall, removing the backup battery, and plugging back in seems to re-establish the connection.

This happened to me a few months ago (a couple weeks after I got the thermostat). I don't remember whether I had recently upgraded any software at about that time though.

I'm subscribing to see if anything comes of all this anecdata...

Comment

Just happened again last night. Twice in two days might be a coincidence. Three times is a pattern though, so if it happens again, I'll open a ticket and see what happens.

Comment

Update for the past couple of weeks: I opened a ticket with Homeseer on August 23. No help has come from this ticket so far. I updated to the latest 3.0.0.199 HomeSeer code on August 30. The Thermostat continued to drop off the network and Homeseer Support has been a no show.

On September 4, I rolled back to .192 and Z-Wave Plugin .23. So far, the system has remained stable and the Thermostat has not dropped off the network. It's still a bit soon to tell for sure, but I gain more confidence by the hour that there is a bug in the .25 version of the Z-Wave plugin.

I'm a bit disappointed with Homeseer Support on this one. It would be nice to at least get some communication that it's something that's being looked into rather than radio silence.

Comment

Has anyone else had any success with their thermostat? I ended up rolling back to an older build of Homeseer/Z-Wave plugin. The thermostat hasn't dropped off my network since I rolled it back.

Comment

I'm still having an issue with the thermostat and think it is thermostat and not homeseer as I have another Honeywell zwave thermostat that is not experiencing these issues in the house. I just noticed I lost communication yesterday and had not updated or done anything to the system. I was on version 199. As a test I upgraded to version 205 while the thermostat was not communicating to see if that would bring it back on network. That did not work. I also tried restarting the interface but that did not work. I then shutdown homeseer and removed z-stick to remove thermostat. It probably took 15 to 16 tries to remove it from z-stick before thermostat said it was removed. It added to z-stick on first try. Then imported it back in to homeseer. Still connected as of this morning. I also lost connection a few weeks back and was just able to turn off HVAC system which power cycled the thermostat to regain connectivity. That trick did not work this time.

Comment

I'll be interested to know if your thermostat stays on the network for more than a few days.

BTW: I also have a second thermostat (not z-wave at this point), but I've been afraid to go out and plop another ~$120 for another thermostat if it's not going to work. You're saying that you've had one of these Honeywell thermostats that's been fine this whole time and another identical one that is misbehaving?

Comment

The thermostat will normally stay on network for more than a few days. It will go several weeks/months without issue. The thermostat in the Master Bedroom has not experienced any of these issues on the homeseer system. I originally purchased them when I had a Honeywell alarm system installed that had a zwave module for some home automation. I was having problems at that time with both thermostats losing connection from the network. Could not seem to get issue resolved so in doing some research came across homeseer and purchased ztroller to replace Honeywell zwave functionality. Things seemed to work much better initially in homeseer until started having the issue with the thermostat in the living room losing connection. The thermostat in living room was purchased first so not sure if that has an older version of zwave module that is causing the issue. Don't really think it is the case as purchase was only a few weeks apart but at this point not really sure. I also now have a lot more zwave devices on my network so not sure if that is why I am getting better performance from homeseer than when I had the thermostat on the Honeywell alarm. Some of my zwave devices are even located outside or in the barn about 250 feet from main house and don't have connectivity issues with them.

Comment

Working...
                            X