Film photography lives on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film photography lives on!

I'm one of those lifelong hobbyist photographers who caught the digital bug in the early 2000s when I got my original Canon EOS Digital Rebel. I had always shot 35mm film before that, and had my own darkroom at home for many years. As time grew scarce I eventually dismantled the darkroom and switched completely to digital. After a decade of disappointing photos I still have a decent digital camera, but I shoot medium format 120 film. I have a stockpile of Fuji Velvia, Kodak T-Max, various Ilford films, and even Fuji instant film...

I've never been able to capture digital images with the same depth and feel that I could on film. I was very excited a year or so ago when the Brothers Wright introduced CineStill 120 to Kickstarter. It's an 800 ISO tungsten cinematic film, adapted for 120 still. Sadly they didn't meet their funding goal.

This past week the brothers relaunched on IndieGogo with a new plan. They're almost at their goal. I'm encouraged that they'll make it this time and start selling a great fine art film in 120.

Even if you don't shoot film, check out their gallery. It's amazing.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...m/x/13321636#/
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

My dad was old school, classical european trained commercial photog. Made a comfortable retirement doing retail catalogs in the 80s and 90s in NYC. I learned developing black and white from him, how to load medium and large format 4x5 and 8x10, etc. But it was no glamour biz - catalogs are table top; toasters, cutlery and all manner of commercial chit. His forte was room sets, his lighting skills were top notch.

That being said. Yeah, I can't understand it. Digital never did it for me. I even played with RAW. Seriously compare a large format positive to any digital rendition and it's no competition. At least a few years ago.

I have a later model of the Rebel T2i i think. But haven't played in some time. Sorta dissappointing to go to a car show and come back with images that blow compared to ektachrome positives.

Comment

Working...
    X