Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,

Thanks very much.

I missed the part about having the location as "APRSParser"; so now my SSID pulldown is populated.

Now to the next step. Since I do not currently have an APRS tx (but will soon), I plugged in your call as KB1MTS-1 to see if I receive anything off the net. Perhaps there is a test setup you used to validate settings?

I am using "socal.aprs2.net" as the server and port 14580. SHould I be seeing any info in my log file with these configuration settings?

Shawn

PS. Excellent plugin - I know have a good reason to buy APRS gear, this will have very high WAF!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn
      Mike,

Thanks very much.

I missed the part about having the location as "APRSParser"; so now my SSID pulldown is populated.

Now to the next step. Since I do not currently have an APRS tx (but will soon), I plugged in your call as KB1MTS-1 to see if I receive anything off the net. Perhaps there is a test setup you used to validate settings?

I am using "socal.aprs2.net" as the server and port 14580. SHould I be seeing any info in my log file with these configuration settings?

Shawn

PS. Excellent plugin - I know have a good reason to buy APRS gear, this will have very high WAF!
      Cool! Thanks for the feedback

No you won't see anything in the log accept when it connects. Under APRSParser Status you should see it say connected as well. If you are watching KB1MTS-1 on port 14580, make sure you add b/KB1MTS* to the filtering in options or I don't think you will see anything. If you add/change/remove filters, make sure to disconnect and then reconnect. KB1MTS-1 is transmitting, so if configured and mirroring to the socal server, you should see it.

I'm looking at getting a Kenwood TH-D7Ag in addition to my D700, not very high WAF there...

-Mike

Comment

Okay Mike, I've got it working now. I see your data on my device page with the wx symbol. I'm looking forward to getting the mapping working too and installing the latest plugin version.

Thanks again - time to spend some cash on APRS gear!

Shawn WB6JWB

Comment

New version is out. I've been playing with decoding other message and weather data coming across. I am toying with the idea to be able to trigger events based on incoming messages.

-Mike

Comment

I finally got around to setting this up and I am very pleased with the results. I am using XASTIR on a linux computer (55 days without a reboot, more if the power hadn't gone out. ) and it is communicating fine with the APRSParser plugin on my HS computer.

Thanks for the great plugin, I look forward to putting it through it's paces!

...de KB7IVK

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Vader
              I finally got around to setting this up and I am very pleased with the results. I am using XASTIR on a linux computer (55 days without a reboot, more if the power hadn't gone out. ) and it is communicating fine with the APRSParser plugin on my HS computer.

Thanks for the great plugin, I look forward to putting it through it's paces!

...de KB7IVK
              Thank you for the feedback! I think mine is all of 12 days thanks to a troublesome TNC I was troubleshooting.

I *think* I just found the dreaded disconnect bug where it wouldn't detect the connection was lost. Working on fixing it as we speak.

-Mike

Comment

New build is up which now supports detecting network drops and reconnecting. Reconnect settings aren't customizeable yet, but all the backend is there to do it thru ini keys.

-Mike

Comment

The KPC3+ has the ability to have 8 inputs on it. Have you looked at making these 8 inputs update virtual devices within HS 2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by csvc13
                    The KPC3+ has the ability to have 8 inputs on it. Have you looked at making these 8 inputs update virtual devices within HS 2 ?
                    Hello,

I haven't seen an KPC3+, only have an older KPC3 so wasn't aware the other one had inputs. What's the purpose for them? In theory if I can get a status out (somehow), I may be able too, however I haven't tried directly interfacing to a TNC except thru another piece of software such as Xastir or AGWPE. I'm assuming you are refering to directly connecting to the TNC?

Thanks,

-Mike

Comment

You can use them o get status on items, example a relay connected to Temp alarm. If it reached the set point the KPC3+ would change the status of that input. If I understand it the status is sent as part of the packet, so you may not need to interface directly. I will do some more research and let you know what I find.

WA1VXH

Comment

Originally posted by csvc13
                        You can use them o get status on items, example a relay connected to Temp alarm. If it reached the set point the KPC3+ would change the status of that input. If I understand it the status is sent as part of the packet, so you may not need to interface directly. I will do some more research and let you know what I find.

WA1VXH
                        Very cool, let me know what you find and I'll try to do some digging myself. If it does send it as a packet, I can't see any reason I can't parse it out to update a device code.

-Mike
                        KB1MTS

Comment

What equipment are you guys using with this plugin?
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            What equipment are you guys using with this plugin?

Hi Rupp,

The cheap and dirty method for a car... I used a Yaesu VX-150 (rugged) radio, TinyTrak3, Duleo Serial GPS, and a mag mount 2m/440 antenna. You will need an adapter for the radio to the antenna, and also order the correct cable for the TinyTrak. One thing I don't like about this radio is that the aux connector for the mic/audio out/ptt can come lose if not careful and get it stuck in TX mode... If you want a more permanent portable radio, the Kenwood TM-271 is a great little radio. I use one in my basement to transmit weather. I believe it's ruggedized as well, and price is reasonable. Can mount it under your seat, or my father mounted his under the dash along the center column.

Also Byon is working on a new TinyTrak4... which IS bidirectional opposed to the TinyTrak3. However for tracking your car, transmitting is all you really need. If you're handy with a soldering iron, it doesn't take too long to assemble at all if you want to save some money.

I now use a dedicated Kenwood D700 radio which all I needed was the antenna and GPS. It has a built in TNC, 2m/440, and can listen to two frequencies as once with one antenna, and transmit on either one at a time. Basically I leave one side for APRS all the so it can send and receive, then the other side I can use to monitor and chat. The other cool thing with it is that I can set one side for tx, and the other for rx, so for example I can relay APRS thru the ISS when they pass by (currently shut off for maintainence ).

I'd like to get a Kenwood D7Ag with my tax return. It's a hand held version of the D700.

I've been doing a refresh with .Net2 the past week or so, so plain on doing some updating on the plugin. I have an occasional bug on reconnecting I've found, so need to hunt that down. Also want to optimize the code a bit as there are a few pieces I badly want to rewrite.

-Mike

Comment

Greg, I used the equipment that Mike mentioned. The handheld radio (VX-150) is about $113 brand new. The connector was a little bit of a pain, but a rubber band took care of that problem! No problems for the 11 months I've been using it. I think the total investment for everything was about $220, and I'll never have to pay a subscription fee for anything. Plus, if I'm ever in trouble, and have no cell coverage, I can use the handheld radio to get help. Good selling points for the spouse, no?

--David

Comment

Well I bought the book yesterday and started reading so we'll see how this goes. I'm sure I'll be back to ask questions later.
                                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                                X