No announcement yet.

Questions on Ademco Vista 50P support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does any of this work with the Ademco 4140XMP panel or does it have to be the Vista series?

Comment

I am currently setting the status for all zones when HS starts up (or you enable the plug-in), so that is also why you are seeing many with the same date/time. I was thinking of changing that to only set the status text and not the time on startup to be more accurate...but just hadn't figured out if that was going to be a problem or not. (Meaning, I know it's doable, but just didn't know if anyone would care too much on that account.)

But, yes, you are correct that there are other situations where multiple zones will go to "Ready" state at the same time. Particularly if multiple zones are faulted or bypassed and then the system gets disarmed. In that case, I'm not told by the ICM if the zones go from fault to ready or bypass to ready while other zones are in the fault or bypass state. This part is irritating and I can't find anyway around it yet...

So, your question on the motion sensors and bypassed zones is correct. They currently do not reset until the system is disarmed. Like I said...irritates me too...but I'm stuck with it right now because of ICM. I'm looking at sending a "Status" request to the ICM, but it doesn't seem to work for bypassed zones...will continue to look into it though.

So, my plug-in currently is only reading from the ICM (they broadcast everything), so I'm not directly interracting with the ICM yet. So, you could be controlling the ICM through it's own web page while I'm getting status information from it as well. I've also done some testing where I've had multiple ICM browsers open at the same time, and that seems to work well, so I believe that even after I start directly communicating with the ICM that the web pages on the ICM will still function properly.

I was looking at putting the ICM web page into HS programattically, so that in HS you would have the link right there. I may still do that.

I do not have fire zones on my panel, so can't test those. But, I don't see how those would cause problems...they may just send messages to the plug-in that I've not seen before.

I have two logs that I think are beneficial right now. One is exactly what you are looking for, an event log that contains all the events that occur within the security system. So, panel events and zone events all time stamped in chronological order. It will be in the HS directory and called vista_event_log.log. The second one is more useful for me and that is the vistaicm_messages.log. This one contains all the textual messages that the ICM would display as status messages...so if there is anything in the log, then that is a message that I'm not currently catching. (Zone messages are ok in there, but any panel messages, I should be catching.) The second log is the interesting one for the fire zones...if you have way to test the fire zones, you can capture the messages in that log, then I can program to them.

The interface to the ICM is purely HTTP based, not even HTTPS at this point. So, language doesn't matter... I'm basically going to simulate like I'm a browser and simulate hitting the number buttons on the web page. I've already done some sample testing of this and it seems to work fine. So, I don't expect the Apex web interface to be different from the ICM...but we'll have to see.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Regards,
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerunner2 View Post
        Does any of this work with the Ademco 4140XMP panel or does it have to be the Vista series?
        Bladerunner,

The Vista-ICM module, used by this plug-in, only works on the Vista series of security panels.

Chris

Comment

Oops...found another bug

After replying to Dusty I came across some good news and some bad news.

First, the bad news. In looking at the event log, I figured out that I was flapping zones that were faulted. I had one of my messages triggering a "Ready" state incorrectly...so zones that were faulted were going to the "Ready" state within 30 seconds or so and then going back to "Fault" state.

The good news is that while looking into why this was happening, I think I'm now going to be able to get much more granular status on faulted zones becoming ready. I think within a 10-30 second window I should be able to determine if the faulted zone has gone to the "Ready" state.

Also, looks like since the only way to change a "Bypass" state into a "Fault" or a "Ready" state is to disarm the system (meaning entering in the code + Off), that I can get real time status on the "Bypass" state too.

Hmm, now I just have to write more code and test it out. Guess that means I'll be coming out with a 1.0.0.2 soon.

Well, stay tuned for updates on the zone situtation.

Chris

Comment

Great news on the find. It's really sounding this is going to solve all my reservations with using ICM and letting go my ascii scripting. I'm busy at the moment loading up Ebay with my "closet" perhaps sometime tomorrow afternoon i'll get a minute to hook it up and try it out.

Perhaps you can get enough of a following to get an actual plug-in status for Homeseer. I have had Napco alarm panels and some others in the past and I really think Ademco products are better "security" systems- less trying to do everything else and just focusing on security. Their wireless products pretty much flawless with a very good range.

Thanks for all your hard work-

Dusty

Comment

Rev 1.0.0.2 ready

Hi all,

I have rev 1.0.0.2 ready now. It addresses the issues that I brought up in the last post. Here are the release notes for this version.

It is also posted at this location for anyone who wants to play around with it: http://www.shadowguild.com/vistaicm/..._vista_icm.zip. There is documentation included that explains about the release, another doc for the test plan that I perform and a final one that talks about development plans for the future (blank right now :-)).

• Made the startup status more robust
              Needless to say, this version is much better than the previous ones in regards to getting accurate information in a timely manner.

My next step is to work on the web pages in HS. I'm looking at the following pages:
              * Bringing the ICM web page into HS
              * Showing the Event Log for the last 100 events that happened in the panel
              * Finally putting together the configuration page

Also note, I may move this thread (e.g. start another one) in a different board that is more appropriate for 3rd party security plug-ins...if there is one.

As always, let me know if anyone else is interested.

Regards,
              Chris
              Last edited by ChrisDunn; January 27, 2008, 04:26 PM. Reason: Paste from Office showing garbage...oops

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	eventlog.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1153867

The Vista ICM link will open up the security panel page from the Vista ICM. So, it redirects to http://honeywell which then lets you control the security panel. Only works inside the house at this point

Then, the Config page lets you add zones, delete zones and change zones (e.g. name them). It looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	config.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1153866http://www.shadowguild.com/vistaicm/...cm_1_0_0_3.zip. I have the Updater version all working, so I intend to send this into HomeSeer. I would like to get any feedback from people who are interested before posting if possible.

Thanks,
                Chris

Comment

Chris, I am very interested in your plug-in. Let me know when you're ready to have testers and I'll buy the ICM.

I see here comments about zone status messages...if the ICM emulates a keypad, ar you able to query the panel for recent events to get the info you need and avoid the problem with restore happening before the ICM can get the zone info?

I am a dealer in Ademco / honeywell so possiblecould get access to their support on your behalf. Realistically, though, their support is geared toward break/fix or install and the ICM is ( I think) purchased from a third party. There may not be good info available from Honeywell.

Let me know. I'd be happy to test once you get that far.

David Grigg

Comment

Hi David,

It's ready for testers if you are up for it. In my last post, I posted a link to the download on my own website. If you pull it down let me know how it goes. I've got it to the point that I'm ready to post it on the HomeSeer Update page, but would REALLY prefer to have some other people install and test it.

Feel free to grab the download and read the documentation that I put in there. It's not incredibly verbose, but it should give you an idea of what all the plug-in can do. And, if you have any questions prior to buying the ICM, let me know.

I was able to get around all the issues that I mentioned in the previous posts. So effectively, as soon as you disarm the system once after the plug-in is running it should be pretty close to 100% accurate on the state of zones and definitely 100% accurate on the state of the panel. The accuracy will be within 30 seconds of any event.

I have access to the honeywell information (i.e. MyWebTech) as well, and there isn't much there in regards to the ICM...as you pointed out it is a 3rd party device. I haven't contacted in2networks (think that is their name) yet, but will probably do that if I want to move forward with more development.

Also note that right now I'm only monitoring and not controlling the system. I also only support one ICM in the network.

I'm also completely open to posting my source code for others to use. I wrote it in an object oriented way (well...sort of :-)) enough so that someone could pull out the IP interface to the ICM and plug in a serial interface for anyone wanting to use the RS232 interface into a Vista panel.

Thanks,
                    Chris

Comment

Wow, looking forward to getting this up and running

Chris, I will download and take a look. I've been wanting an excuse to buy an ICM anyway.

When i saw your reply i realized that there must be more posts on your thread, and indeed i had missed a dozen or more. You've accomplished a lot in a month and a half. That's what I get for ignoring the boards for awhile.

FYI - for starters I will be using this with a 20p. With one-way status as the main function it appears that it will function similarly to the x-10 interface have in place, however it will likely allow more than 16 detectable events (1 house code) and perhaps greater granularity on the exact nature of a fault. I don't particularly want to control the security system from homeseer myself but it would be something of a coup for some of my installations. Any plans to implement that?

Thanks for investing your time in this.

Comment

Hi David,

Yep, should give you more than just the x-10 interface. I have the panel status (Disarmed, Arm-Stay, Arm-Away, and Alarm) and then up to 98 zones with status (Ready, Fault, and Bypass). I think I've posted 99 zones before, but now that I think about it...it's 1 security panel + 98 zones for a total of 99 devices.

Since the ICM gives you remote (Web) access to control the panel (and I put a link to the ICM inside HomeSeer from the plug-in), I'm assuming that you are looking for scripted control of the panel then, correct?

I could do that, I've looked into what it would take and it wouldn't be too difficult, it's just not high on my priority for now. In addition to to that, I've thought about putting several other features in there as well.

At this point though, I don't think I'll do anything more for a while. I have a couple of other things on my plate ahead of those changes. If there is enough demand I could jump back in though...I don't think it would take too long to do.

Regards,
                        Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

I've got to say I'm really excited after having read through this entire thread. I have 2 Vista 20p panels (1 home, 1 work) and I was looking at ripping them out for DSC power series just to have automation. I think the Vista is a better quality panel too, so I'm happy to keep it.

I plan to order the ICM in a couple of weeks and I'll gladly beta test the system for you.

Scripted control would be nice. I suppose the idea there might be to arm the system automatically based on a motion sensor and door sensor trigger.
                          I'll be happy with just monitoring the status for now.

If I understand the ICM and other Honeywell products in the line, ie the thermostat I think it may be possible to easily build off your existing plug-in to create more that are compatible with their other devices.

Wow!

Not seeing the code nor having done a lot of in-depth research on the Honeywell protocolsI can only guess. But, if it was the case to easily alter your code for their other devices, you would be on your way to not only a plug-in but a new version of HomeSeer for the Honeywell line of products.

Am I missing something, or could it be that close?

HoneySeer anyone?

Thanks in advance for your efforts thus far

If it works out for me I'll gladly cough up the $20 plug-in fee even if its not registered with HS.

Seth

Comment

Hi Seth,

Thanks for positive feedback, always appreciated.

I purposely wrote the plug-in to be generic so that it could be reused. It is in Visual C# though most people prefer Visual Basic... Also, this was my first time programming in C#, so I'm sure I have some odd coding styles in there. :-) My background is C++, so C# was all new to me.

There are three main areas to it. First is the communications objects for talking to HomeSeer. Second is the Panel objects, for maintaining state of the panel and zones. Third is the communications protocol for communicating with the panel through the ICM.

I was very good about keeping the third one (the communications to the ICM) clean and with a good clean interface back to the panel objects. This part was designed so that if someone wanted to take the code and create a plug-in for the serial interface to the higher end Vista panels, it would be fairly easy to do. I even have the serial protocol specs, but couldn't test it out if I did write anything to it. (Any takers on modifying the code?) :-)

I haven't tried scripting my objects, so don't know if they would work. There really isn't any control at this point, so all the status is in HomeSeer already. Also, control of the panel through HomeSeer is something that I might do later, but for now I have other things ahead of that.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to switch out to work with the thermostat or lighting ICM modules. The Vista one was fairly easy (kind of stumbled on it) for getting status updates. I'm not sure that the others will be quite so simple.

Oh, and I have found two bugs since I've started using it...just for everyone's information.

1) Once in a while, when disarming, the status will bounce to DISARM to (last armed state) and then back to DISARM. I think this has something to do with status messages from the ICM getting crossed. Not sure I can do anything about this, but it's minor, so I'm not worried.

2) After an alarm goes off (thanks to a houseguest) and you disarm the panel to stop the siren...the plug-in flips back and forth from ALARM to DISARMED until you disarm the system one more time to clear the faulted zone that caused the alarm. (I had 1500 emails telling me about the alarm...oops.)

Anyway, let me know if you want some more information. Feel free to private message me as well.

Regards,
                            Chris

Comment

Chris,

You seem to be extremely knowledgeable on the ICM. Excuse my getting of topic here but you obviously know what the "default" username for a telnet session into the ICM is. Could you share that info? I am interested in "poking around" the system and possibly incorporating your plugin. As well, I have an extensive GeoVison video system that I would like to incorporate into the system as well. I know it is a leap...

Thanks
                              Sigmnd

Comment

top 10 things the ICM cant do maybe I can.

I have taken a different direction. The ICM was not an option when I started trying to find a way to interface my ademco panel to my home automation system.

http://forum.homesecuritystore.com/i...?topic=10480.0

I still have work to do but i was successfully able today to download my panels programming into a text file. I dont seem to have any problem seeing zone faults. I dont have a vista 20 only a vista 15 so i dont know about the partition issues but I doubt that would be an issue as I can fake any keypad address.

Re
                                Sean M

Comment

Working...
                                X