Kinect occupancy sensor troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect occupancy sensor troubles

I am playing with the kinect plugin for HS3 and have a few questions.
    My kinect works well for voice control but I am having problems with the occupancy sensor and subsequently the gesture control.
    I have one room, where my server is located, set to turn on the light when there is 1 or more people in the room and turn it off when it is empty.
    The best I can do is get the light to turn on for 1 or 2 seconds before it turns off.
    From the status page it shows empty most of the time but will turn to occupied every once in a while for a few seconds.
    I set the log to trace and can see when it list my coordinates. But it doesn't last long before the log show the room is empty and it turns off the lights.
    I have tried several locations and two different kinects. I have also tried different zones but have been leaving it on as an overall zone during my testing.
    Is there something I can do to increase recognition for the occupancy detector?
    I haven't been able to try gesture control because the kinect does not see me for long. The log mentions some gestures were recognized but I can't get them to show consistently.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry. It looks like I just got too excited. Placement seems to indeed be the main issue. I believe I was getting lost when I got too close to the kinect.
    I am off to try multiple instances of the plugin.

Comment

yeah placement is very important.

If you have installed the kinect SDK, you can use the developer toolkit browser to run some sample apps that will show you what the kinect see.
      Alternatively you can use the new camera url snapshot that I have added to version 3.0.0.19 http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=171071

Comment

I have been having a problem since I tried multiple Kinects.
        I must assume HS3 still does not support multiple instances.
        Even when I am down to one, Homeseer says:
        WARNING Can't find Kinect: USB%5cVID_0409%26PID_005A%5c6%2628C6923%260%264
        and I can no longer get my kinect status to work.
        Is there a file I can delete (config?) that would allow me to start over with adding a Kinect?

Comment

multiple instances work but can be tricky to setup

to restart from scratch you can delete Kinect.ini, and any other Kinect_*.ini file you could have in the Config folder.
          or you can just delete the kinect_sensor_id in the [GENERAL] section, that should fix your problem

Comment

I appreciate the help.
            I disable the plugin, unhooked the kinect, deleted the .ini files then re-enabled the plugin. It could find no kinect. Then I plugged in the kinect and it worked.
            I tried things in a different order and it didn't work as well.
            I thought I had 2 kinects running fairly well (before I tried for a third) so I think I will try to do that again.

Comment

For some reason I when I choose a different kinect for my second instance it always reverts to the same kinect as my first instance. I am using HS3 and the beta kinect.

Comment

what do you mean exactly by " it always reverts to the same kinect"

what version of the plugin are you running?

after you change the dropdown menu to select your Kinect sensor, please check what is written to Kinect_<instance_name>.ini for the kinect_sensor_id key. I suspect a formatting problem when the id id is written to the ini file.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                  what do you mean exactly by " it always reverts to the same kinect"

If there is a choice of two kinects when I change the setting and hit refresh or leave and come back it always reverts to what it was before. So I have two instances trying to use the same kinect I think?

what version of the plugin are you running?

after you change the dropdown menu to select your Kinect sensor, please check what is written to Kinect_<instance_name>.ini for the kinect_sensor_id key. I suspect a formatting problem when the id id is written to the ini file.
                  This is with only 1 instance and 1 kinect with everything working.

[CAMERA]
                  netcam_enabled=True
                  [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
                  attention_phrase=Max
                  echo_cancellation=True
                  confidence_threshold=0.6
                  [ZONES]
                  1###name=Zone 1
                  1###type=Overall

I don't see the kinect sensor ID. When I looked at a second configuration filed earlier, I noticed it did have a sensor ID.

Comment

When I start the second instance I can't change the drop down. It always reverts.
                    Here are the two new ini files:

[CAMERA]
                    netcam_enabled=True
                    [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
                    attention_phrase=Max
                    echo_cancellation=True
                    confidence_threshold=0.6
                    [ZONES]
                    1###name=Zone 1
                    1###type=Overall

[GENERAL]
                    kinect_sensor_id=USB%5cVID_0409%26PID_005A%5c5%2613D43362%26 0%262

Comment

there was an encoding problem when writing the kinect id to the ini file. Please test version 3.0.0.20 available from: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...18#post1082218

Comment

Thank you.
                        With the new version I have 2 kinect instances running well.
                        I will probably try another tonight.
                        Can I change the camera port on a second or third instance and have more than 1 camera server running?

Comment

Originally posted by FFlintstone View Post
                          Can I change the camera port on a second or third instance and have more than 1 camera server running?
                          yes you can!

Comment

Working...
                          X