www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Audio & Video Support > Camera Plug-ins > NetCam

NetCam The NetCam plugin provides access to network based cameras.

Old March 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Seer Master

Default New to Netcam

Ok,

I've just got one of those Dlink DCS-920 net cams and was wondering about using the plugin. However, I've tried to pass username/password to the camera and even disabled access control. But when I try to take a picture, I get:

25/03/2009 6:14:45 PM Error Web Server Error 404, cannot serve file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html/netcam/BackDoor.jpg
25/03/2009 6:14:48 PM NetCAM MakeThumbNail experienced error Parameter is not valid.
25/03/2009 6:14:48 PM Error Web Server Error 404, cannot serve file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html/netcam/BackDoor.jpg

I am running 2.3.0.19 (fresh install) on Windows 2000 Server Sp4. Anyway to debug what is going on?

Any ideas?

Rob
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Seer Master

Anyone???
Could someone suggest how to get help with this. When it's a free plugin, what are your support choices?

Rob
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM
OverSeer

Hello Rob,

I haven't played with a Dlink net cam yet. BUT you can try Zoneminder web site. You will see many cameras etc. I am currently using zoneminder with netcam.

Homeseer User
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Seer Master

My camera works fine and can view images either via WAN or LAN - the error I get is when I use it with Netcam.
The log reports
NetCAM MakeThumbNail experienced error Parameter is not valid.

Is MakeThumbNail an HS routine?

edit...

ARGGG!!!

I tried it when HS is NOT running as a service and it works. This is most unfortunate as I like to run HS as a service.
Is there a workaround to this other than not being able to run HS as a service?

One very interesting note when I run HS as a service - the actual memory usage is a lot higher that when I just run it as a program.
For example - as a service it runs at about 78 MB and as a program it only uses about 48 MB. Again, using 2.3.0.19.

Does this seem right?

Rob

Last edited by langenet; March 28th, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenet View Post
My camera works fine and can view images either via WAN or LAN - the error I get is when I use it with Netcam.
The log reports

Is MakeThumbNail an HS routine?

edit...

ARGGG!!!

I tried it when HS is NOT running as a service and it works. This is most unfortunate as I like to run HS as a service.
Is there a workaround to this other than not being able to run HS as a service?

One very interesting note when I run HS as a service - the actual memory usage is a lot higher that when I just run it as a program.
For example - as a service it runs at about 78 MB and as a program it only uses about 48 MB. Again, using 2.3.0.19.

Does this seem right?

Rob
When running as a service the account doesn't have permissions to access parts of the aspx objects. This is a very common problem.
The service executable is where the addition memory is coming from.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
When running as a service the account doesn't have permissions to access parts of the aspx objects. This is a very common problem.
The service executable is where the addition memory is coming from.
Sooo.... is there something which can be done to grant the necessary permissions????
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Seer Master

OK.. I'm sure this has been discussed already but I couldn't find a sufficient posting for my purposes.

1) Is there any solution to the previous post with respect to permissions and is it worth while in submitting a ticket?

2) Since my Win2K server serves other purposes and is on the Internet 24/7, I am reluctant to have a non password protected Administrator account so I can do an auto login and run HS in the startup folder. Can anyone suggest a work around in this case?

Another not so happy HS as a service user...

Robert

Last edited by langenet; March 30th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
OverSeer

What about a passworded screen saver which is started from a shortcut in the startup folder? I think you'd want something other than a standard Windows screen saver which wouldn't kick in until the delay expired.

Automate everything, modify the rest... but remember... For every action, there is an equal and unexpected reaction.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Seer Master

But doesn't a password protected screen saver just be for the current log in session. What if someone hacks in - it's an easy open door to them if there is no password for the Administrator account....

Thanks for your response!

Robert
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:57 AM
OverSeer

Robert,
I have been using Netcam for a while now. I dedicate one box to HS. Many years ago ran HS as a service and it did fine. I also migrated the server to Windows 2003. In the last couple of years have added a "few" more applications that run with HS and have moved it from running as a service to standard console mode. The box has limited access outside of my network. I have not had any security problems with it (behind a Linux firewall) that I am aware of. What else is the box used for?

Homeseer User
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Seer Master

Thanks Pete for your response. It would be nice if the HS team could show some initiative in helping.

My server is my primary DNS server for my domain and also runs my mailserver. I do not wish to add another server so I can run HS. I do run a software firewall as well as being beind a nat'd router. I manage the server via terminal services and if I'm on the WAN, only open the port when needed.

So if I can't run as a service, what I would like to do is just have HS start when the system reboots and maintain security. This is why I run as a service. What I don't understand is why the heck is this so difficult????
The system is on UPS - however, should the powerfail last several hours as it did yesterday, the batteries become exhausted and the system will be instructed to shutdown in an orderly fashion. Once the power comes on again, the server boots and HS starts all the while I can be in another part of the world.

So am I the only one on this board that has this type of requirement? If not, then I would love to hear how other users deal with this.

Robert
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM
OverSeer

Robert,
I use to use a service application called FireDaemon Pro Service Manager. It gave me a lot of control when I started to add more HS related services. It is nice that it gives you a lot of control over what and when and how you want to run the services. For remote access I build an SSH tunnel to one server on the network (utilities server) then use that one to get to the rest of my servers.
Pete

Homeseer User
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Seer Master

Thanks again Pete for stepping in. Your note reminded me of FD. But doesn't this just create the same problem as running HS as a service.
Do you know if it will play with HS and NetCam?

Rob

Last edited by langenet; March 31st, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Seer Master

Ok... I couldn't resist the urge to try FireDaemon and while it actually reduces the size of Homeseer.exe memory foot print it allows me to take a picture at least and display pictures taken. However, If I try to create an event to take say 5 pictures I still get:

So I'm part way there. Still I would like to get to the end state.... know what I mean?

Any other ideas?

Robert
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:33 PM
OverSeer

I have seen the same on occasion. I will try to recreate problem. FD is pretty flexible.

Homeseer User
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM
Seer Master

Pete,

I thought perhaps using the ASPnet account for the service would work, but there is a password associated with this account. I'm not sure if changing it is a good idea? I don't want to break anything else...

I'm not even sure if this is a solution - just that if there are permission issues with aspx, then perhaps this might be a solution.

Anyone??

Rob
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:28 PM
OverSeer

OK. I can say with some certainty that this is more than likely a network issue. I'd been having this error regularly, about the same time UltraMon reported one of the cameras as "Troubled", meaning it hadn't responded to a Ping request. about 24 hours ago now, I reconfigured my wireless network, consisting of two D-Link WLan routers, to the same SSID and auto channel selection. These routers are a opposite ends of the house and on separate floors. Previously, I'd used two separate SSIDs with various devices connected to each. I know... this is likely to cause some overlap, but it is working.
Since doing this, I've not seen any "Troubled" devices and no camera errors.

Oh yes, One of the cameras takes pics on motion detected, every five seconds via an event. One other sends a pic to Wunderground, and saves via a NetCam event once per minute and the third saves a pic (NetCam) once per minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenet View Post
Ok... I couldn't resist the urge to try FireDaemon and while it actually reduces the size of Homeseer.exe memory foot print it allows me to take a picture at least and display pictures taken. However, If I try to create an event to take say 5 pictures I still get:

So I'm part way there. Still I would like to get to the end state.... know what I mean?

Any other ideas?

Robert

Automate everything, modify the rest... but remember... For every action, there is an equal and unexpected reaction.
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Seer Master

Well... well. Thanks to the hint from Greg, I found out that the issue must be somewhat network related. I originally tried my event to take 5 pictures at 1 second intervals while running HS as an application and it produced the same error. So this got me thinking (network again) that perhaps I was too agressive with the picture taking. So I paused the interval to every 5 seconds and it worked while running HS as a program mode.
Went back to running it as a service with FireDaemon (Thanks to Pete!!!!) and low and behold, it works just fine with the interval of 5 seconds between shots. So I am one happy camper!!!! It's too bad I need to spend $39 US on FireDaemon - but then again, for me it's worth it.

I would like to express sincere thanks to both Pete and Greg (Wadenut) for sticking with me throughout this problem.

One happy HomeSeer as a Service user

Robert
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
OverSeer

Good News....I have my Zoneminder captures from 8 camera separated by about 3-5 minutes. I might have the original FD which was freeware some time ago. I will look for it. I remember paying for 1.9 then when the version was upgraded there was an upgrade fee?? On the wireless side I use two Linksys WRT54GL's and a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 APs upgraded to DD-WRT. You can "crank" the output to 100Mw (even more but be carefull). For the Linksys camera you can make a small directional parabolic antenna with paper and aluminum foil which would give you a 9-15 db gain on your signal strength. My camera's are hard wired via rg-6 simese cables or cat5 with balums.

Homeseer User