X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caddx Cable Configuration

Hi all;
    I have seen several posts and questions concerning the proper cable to connect a NX-8E to a cat 5 and back to a DB-9 at the computer. I always refer to the attached document (from Worthington Dist.) for reference.

The connection is like this;

Ribbon cable, with red stripe to the Caddx board edge (yes it fits backwards!!) ---> DB9F to RJ45 Modular Adaptor ---> Cat5e Cable ---> DB9F to RJ45 Modular Adaptor ---> Serial Port

My adaptor source is http://www.cablestogo.com/

You have 2 options when making up the adaptors - Straight through (pins 2,3,5) or Null Modem (pins 2-3, 3-2, 5). If you do the Null configuration, NO NULL MODEM ADAPTOR is required. With the straight through - you MUST use an adaptor.

Set up all panel locations as noted in the instructions above and you should have no issues.

See the attached PDF.

Hope this helps those looking to make the connection between HS and Caddx.
    Attached Files

Amen, Amen, Amen!

I have replied multiple times on this issue. Perhaps this should be a "sticky" as this question gets asked a lot!

FYI I use THIS source for DB-9 to RJ-45 Adapters. Since you only need three conductors you can feed the unused conductors out thru the side of this adapter and use them for something else. For instance I also got some DB-9 Solder Pin connectors and have my Caddx and my Ocelot running on the same Cat-5e run.
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I agree and have used those as well.

Who can make a post a sticky?? A moderator?

Comment

I've been studying it for an hour, and that PDF doesn't make much sense to me...

If you look at the plug with the heavy (5-pin) side facing up, each drawing shows pin 1 at the top-left, which is opposite of every other pin-out I've ever seen. If you look at the very last drawing in the PDF, though (on the right), you'll notice that it's different: pin 1 on the right. Why would you change that on the other side of the cable?

I just can't wrap my brain around this...

Comment

TechGuy;
          Do not worry about the orientation. As long as pin 1 goes to pin 1 and so on , you are all set. The cat5 cable you connect between point a and point b is wired in any configuration you want, as long as it is pin for pin (once more 1 to 1 2 to 2 and so on. I typically use the standard 568b color code for my cat5 cables. In this way, you can always use them as network lines in the future.

Also, one other item; I always wire the connection as straight through (no Null Modem). I can then always add a Null Modem adaptor if the device requires it.

Comment

Working...
          X