X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikaluch
    replied
    Another lifetime Plex owner here.

The Wink also interfaces with some other things that aren't currently available elsewhere. It is not just an ability to speak Zigbee. It talks to "Zigbee" lights that the Phillips Hub will not link to. Plus it talks to the Canary and the Ring doorbell. I own both, and yes they are both cloud based. I consider them as backup for my much greater number of locally based devices. Resiliency comes with variety.

The "cloud" is an overhyped word for a server farm with a virtualized overlay. Completely avoiding it will get harder and harder as pretty much every storage provider is switching to it and the online app providers are right with them. It is simply a more efficient use of resources. The gummint has even put out guidance that they want us to investigate using cloud storage for the data that comes down from the weather satellites, which they are very touchy about. I've also been doing some conceptual design work for these guys:

http://spacebelt.com/

"You will be assimilated"

The latency on my Wink is barely noticeable. Much better than it was a year ago. The radios reach devices that other radios will not. Would I use it to run my entire system from? No. Could it be an excellent add on? Yes. I haven't tried it out yet but there are instructions to root it online. You could avoid the cloud that way.

Leave a comment:

• sirmeili
    replied
    Originally posted by kideon View Post
    Plex!!
    There are currently two Plex plugins. BLplex by blade and PlexMonitor by smartercontrol (I think). The latter doesn't have a presence on this forum because they have their own repository for their plugins. I think currently blplex is free.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• kideon
    replied
    Plex!!

Leave a comment:

• Kerat
    replied
    Originally posted by kingfetty View Post
    I've got a plugin that works with their power strips, but just turns on/off the ports. I never could get the power calculations to come out right in HomeSeer.

It's my understanding they abandoned the mFi lineup.

Yea, I have heard the developers programmed themselves into a corner. Additionally, the equipment was more expensive than competing tech. Now I have found some of their devices cheaper online.

How about the unifi security cameras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Kerat
    replied
    This kinda goes along with the idea of a Plex plugin as well.

BTW..

Plex vs Emby, which do you prefer? I'm on plex simply because I got in on the lifetime sub when it was still cheap.

I have ran both. Honestly, each outfit has their strengths and weaknesses. I am leaning toward emby right now because I can continue to use Kodi as my front end, which my family is more comfortable with.

Leave a comment:

• jlrichar
    replied
    Looking at the API it's all going via the internet: https://api.wink.com

From the looks of it, I could build a plugin that acts as a bridge essentially. It would create a copy of every wink device inside homeseer and as a device changes state on either side, the commands would get sent across.

If I can pick up a wink hub on sale I may throw something together. Still looking to see what I may want to control with the wink hub that I don't already control with HomeSeer.

That would be great! Yes this is a cloud based hub, and as a long time homeseer user it would be silly to move all your devices over to only wink control. What makes this useful is all the stuff that the wink can connect to that HS can't. There is a lot. Some of it quite cool, some of it silly (like egg holders). Plus put yourself in the shoes of someone that starts with wink and wants to get more advanced without starting over. This plugin would be great for them. Last time I checked wink had magnitude(s) more users than homeseer. A rock solid plugin that fully supported the Wink cloud API could draw a lot of them over.

Leave a comment:

• bebaldin
    replied
    I've got a plugin that works with their power strips, but just turns on/off the ports. I never could get the power calculations to come out right in HomeSeer.

They did - which is very unfortunate. I would move from Z-Net to a true IP routed device network in a heartbeat IF comparable hardware were available. I think Ubiquiti (whom I am a huge fan of) is making a big mistake abandoning the mFi line. They claim that they are starting from scratch and building a new IoT solution, but anyone who follows UB knows that many such announcements end up being vaporware for years.

Leave a comment:

• bebaldin
    replied
    Would love to see a plug-in that showed all the devices in the current database, both active and orphaned, and gave a simple and clear method for deleting invalid devices once and for all.

This should be an integral part of Homeseer but for some reason getting rid of orphaned devices seems to be one of the most difficult management tasks there is.

Leave a comment:

• BeePee
    replied
    Home Theater / AV equipment IP Control

How about IP Control of AV equipment?

Something along the lines of Roomie Remote, a great iPad app which was taken over by Simple Control who are now charging a high subscription rate for the service.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Global Cache Pro which uses IR Control but with IP Control.

This could then be utilized without any additional hardware to control AV Equipment. Opening up HS Touch and things like the Amazon Echo as control platforms.

I'm also happy to assist with any beta testing etc.

Food for thought.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• kingfetty
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerat View Post
    Plugin to integrate with unifi camera NVR, Mfi Server (with power monitoring integration).

Leave a comment:

• kingfetty
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerat View Post
    Emby server plugin to detect when a show or movie is being played.

This kinda goes along with the idea of a Plex plugin as well.

BTW..

Plex vs Emby, which do you prefer? I'm on plex simply because I got in on the lifetime sub when it was still cheap.

Leave a comment:

• kingfetty
    replied
    Originally posted by tome10 View Post
    The Wink is Horrible. I went from Wink>Smartthings>Homeseer. If you're going to build a Plugin for a secondary controller, it would probably need to be Smartthings, and simply for the Zigbee capabilities I guess, but the latency is already horrible with the Cloud Controllers. I'd have to pass on this idea.
    So what I'm hearing, is we need some sort of way to control ZigBee from HomeSeer so we can ditch other HA controllers completely.

Leave a comment:

• Kerat
    replied
    Emby server plugin to detect when a show or movie is being played.

Leave a comment:

• Kerat
    replied
    Looking for ideas for plugins

Plugin to integrate with unifi camera NVR, Mfi Server (with power monitoring integration).

Last edited by Kerat; November 23rd, 2016, 10:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tome10
    replied
    The Wink is Horrible. I went from Wink>Smartthings>Homeseer. If you're going to build a Plugin for a secondary controller, it would probably need to be Smartthings, and simply for the Zigbee capabilities I guess, but the latency is already horrible with the Cloud Controllers. I'd have to pass on this idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X