This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
    I am using HS3 for Linux on an RPI 3. Currently, I have a ZWave smartstick+ and am getting comfortable with managing light switches from it.
    My Next Project will be to monitor power usage and set on/off on a per port basis at my office desk. I would like to:
    A. Monitor power per port.
    B. Turn off devices if I am not at my desk (determined via motion activity.
    C. turn power to my 3 monitors off when my tower is off.

In total I would want to control power to 8 ports. There is an aeon tech 6 port ZWave surge protector but I hear it only monitors/manages 4 of the 6 ports. In this case, I would need two of those instead of 1 MPower pro 8 port.
    My questions:
    1. does the Mpower plugin need the Mfi controller or does it communicate directly with the device on the network?
    2. is the plugin compatible with HS3 standard for Linux?
    3. How much extra RAM and processor utilization should i expect from the plugin?
    4. does the plugin support power monitoring and on/off control on a per port basis?
    1. MFI controller not needed for the plugin to work
    2. I don't know about the Linux compatibility
    3. On my system (with 11 ports addressed - the plugin sees each port uniquely from what I can tell), using about 40K of memory... but the CPU jumps up every few seconds. Not bad - 10% for a second or so - but it's not a well-behaved deal.
    4. No power monitoring; just on/off per port.

I have "crashes" with it every now and then. Enough that I have a "restart mPower plugin" button in the utility screen of my control tablets.

With only one MFI and 8 ports controlled, it'd probably be reasonably reliable. But I am moving toward the Aeon for the future since it doesn't have the CPU issues or the spotty plugin problems. It works very well. And it /can/ gather power data.

Another option you might consider is the 8-port unit from DLI - I think there's a control script around here somewhere. http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

Comment

Originally posted by gregoryx View Post
      1. MFI controller not needed for the plugin to work
      2. I don't know about the Linux compatibility
      3. On my system (with 11 ports addressed - the plugin sees each port uniquely from what I can tell), using about 40K of memory... but the CPU jumps up every few seconds. Not bad - 10% for a second or so - but it's not a well-behaved deal.
      4. No power monitoring; just on/off per port.

I have "crashes" with it every now and then. Enough that I have a "restart mPower plugin" button in the utility screen of my control tablets.

With only one MFI and 8 ports controlled, it'd probably be reasonably reliable. But I am moving toward the Aeon for the future since it doesn't have the CPU issues or the spotty plugin problems. It works very well. And it /can/ gather power data.

Another option you might consider is the 8-port unit from DLI - I think there's a control script around here somewhere. http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

your response echoes a buddy of mine. thank you for your input.

Comment

Working...
      X