This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Plugin AirBeacon

This plugin will use the AirCable.net AirBeacon to scan for iBeacons. When an iBeacon is detected will either create a device or update the existing device with the status of "Signal". If the iBeacon signal is not detected for 10seconds or longer the device will change to "No Signal".

Device: http://www.aircable.net/products/ibeacon.php

This plugin is free.

Code:
     Changelog:

- Initial Release.
    Attached Files

Was thinking of some additional features on this, how about a master / slave set up where the main plugin can talk to the remote instances and then track presence throughout the property? It could use the signal strength to determine where the beacon is closest to. Slap that on a raspi image and you've got some pretty sweet occupancy detection. If you really wanted to get creative you could do some sort of mapping. I can see that selling.

Comment

All,

Sorry for the prolonged absence from any development work. For the last 3 months I have been studying day and night to pass my CCIE lab exam at my employer's request. I took the lab exam this week and passed, so I will be returning to my previous development activities. Look for more feedback, activity, and updates coming in the very near future.

Thank you all for hanging in there while I took the time I needed to pass this very hard exam.

Thanks,

Eric Fetty CCIE# 51202

Comment

What are the chances we could get this plugin working remotely via a Raspberry Pi and Windows IoT or something? My HomeSeer server sits in Hyper-V which can't pass USB

Comment

Originally posted by ryanborstelmann View Post
          What are the chances we could get this plugin working remotely via a Raspberry Pi and Windows IoT or something? My HomeSeer server sits in Hyper-V which can't pass USB
          I've never tried it but here's some info that may help you in your testing.

All plugins can be run remotely, just launch them from the command line with the "/server X.X.X.X" and put the server's IP address where the Xs are.

The plugins do depend on some of the files and DLLs from the server in order to run.

HomeSeerAPI.dll
          HSCF.dll
          Scheduler.dll
          Interop.hsrecord2.dll

These DLLs appear to be written in .net framework code which can run on Linux if the mono.net is installed, this is how the Homeseer for Linux install works.

You could in theory grab the plugin and the DLLs and put them on any box with .net and run it with the /server option.

Comment

Okay going to try this with Raspbian + Mono then.

Another question - does this have to work with the AirBeacon specifically, or can one use any BLE dongle? I've got one of these lying around and would love to use that instead if possible. The AirBeacon site throws 500 errors when I try to order one, and the "Contact Us" page does the same so I can't get in touch with them either.

Comment

Okay going to try this with Raspbian + Mono then.

Another question - does this have to work with the AirBeacon specifically, or can one use any BLE dongle? I've got one of these lying around and would love to use that instead if possible. The AirBeacon site throws 500 errors when I try to order one, and the "Contact Us" page does the same so I can't get in touch with them either.
              I've written it specifically for the airbeacon as it's the only device I have.

Comment

I am getting iBeacons to put in me and my wife's cars. Looks like this AirBeacon would be useful for scanning when the cars are or are not in the garage. I am also getting a 2nd set of iBeacons that I will place in stationary locations in the house. These will be used with our iPhones and the Geofency app in the iPhones. I don't need to use the 2nd set of iBeacons with the AirBeacon. Is there any way to have AirBeacon or the plug-in ignore the 2nd set of iBeacons?

Also, does this plug-in work with Windows and Linux (e.g. Ubuntu)?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
                  I am getting iBeacons to put in me and my wife's cars. Looks like this AirBeacon would be useful for scanning when the cars are or are not in the garage. I am also getting a 2nd set of iBeacons that I will place in stationary locations in the house. These will be used with our iPhones and the Geofency app in the iPhones. I don't need to use the 2nd set of iBeacons with the AirBeacon. Is there any way to have AirBeacon or the plug-in ignore the 2nd set of iBeacons?

Also, does this plug-in work with Windows and Linux (e.g. Ubuntu)?

Thanks.
                  The plugin will not ignore them, but you can just not use the device in any events. You'll just have 2 extra devices, no biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfetty View Post
                    I've written it specifically for the airbeacon as it's the only device I have.
                    Would it work with their SuperBeacon (https://aircable.co/shop/product/air...superbeacon-47)? The description states: "This Bluetooth Low Energy transceiver is just like our SmartBeacon, but on steroids. It can be setup as a high output power iBeacon, Eddystone UDI transmitter or as a super sensitive receiver".

By the way they have a new website that doesn't give the 500 errors reported above: https://aircable.co/

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kingfetty View Post
                      This plugin will use the AirCable.net AirBeacon to scan for iBeacons. When an iBeacon is detected will either create a device or update the existing device with the status of "Signal". If the iBeacon signal is not detected for 10seconds or longer the device will change to "No Signal".

Device: http://www.aircable.net/products/ibeacon.php

Hmm.. the "Buy Now" in above page doesn't work. I just get a blank page. Seems that maybe they have a new site: https://aircable.co/shop .
                      However, I don't see the same device you mentioned above available anymore :-( . Either that, or the name is different (even the page you cite above has 2 different names: AIRbeacon and AIRcable iBeacon.

Also, what's with having to need USB to serial adapter? It's been a while since I had to worry about USB to serial drivers ! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
                        Hmm.. the "Buy Now" in above page doesn't work. I just get a blank page. Seems that maybe they have a new site: https://aircable.co/shop .
                        However, I don't see the same device you mentioned above available anymore :-( . Either that, or the name is different (even the page you cite above has 2 different names: AIRbeacon and AIRcable iBeacon.

Also, what's with having to need USB to serial adapter? It's been a while since I had to worry about USB to serial drivers ! :-)
                        +1 - looks like it's now called the AIRcable smartBeacon, but I don't think you need USB>Serial if I'm not mistaken:

https://aircable.co/shop/product/air...smartbeacon-38

@kingfetty, let us know if this is the dongle we are looking for, and I'm going to dive in to a RasPi remote plugin for my HomeSeer setup.

Comment

@kingfetty - Was successfully able to start the plugin remotely, but it hangs during the startup process." See SSH logs below:

Code:
                          ryanb@LennyR3-iBeacon:~/hs3 $ sudo mono "HSPI_AirBeacon.exe" server=10.0.1.10
                          Plugin: AirBeacon Instance:  starting...
                          Connecting to server at 10.0.1.10...
                          Host API Version: 3
                          Connected, waiting to be initialized...
                          Starting version 1.0.15135.16
                          MobaXterm X11 proxy: Unsupported authorisation protocol
                          InitIO called, plug-in is being initialized...
                          Exception deserializing message: Could not find type 'System.Collections.SortedList+KeyList'.
                          Exception in Find_Devices/Enumerator: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                          Error in SerialPort Start, Message: No such file or directory

Unhandled Exception:
                          System.IO.IOException: Bad file descriptor
                          at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.ThrowIOException () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                          at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.Dispose (Boolean disposing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                          at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.Finalize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                          EDIT: More logs from HS3:
                          Code:
                          Sep-04 5:25:38 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Error in SerialPort Start, Message: No such file or directory
                          Sep-04 5:25:37 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Exception in Find_Devices/Enumerator: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                          Sep-04 5:24:37 PM	 	AirBeacon	InitIO called, plug-in is being initialized...
                          Sep-04 5:24:37 PM	 	AirBeacon	Starting version 1.0.15135.16
                          Sep-04 5:24:37 PM	 	Info	Plugin AirBeacon has connected. IP:10.0.1.12:60588
                          Sep-04 5:21:29 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Error in SerialPort Start, Message: No such file or directory
                          Sep-04 5:21:29 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Exception in Find_Devices/Enumerator: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                          Sep-04 5:20:29 PM	 	AirBeacon	InitIO called, plug-in is being initialized...
                          Sep-04 5:20:28 PM	 	AirBeacon	Starting version 1.0.15135.16
                          Thoughts? The AirBeacon is plugged in to /dev/ttyUSB0 if it matters, and the plugin shows up as OK in HS3 as a remote plugin.
                          Last edited by ryanborstelmann; September 4th, 2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

bumping thread since kingfetty was out of town for a long while.

Looking to get this plugin running remotely but am running into roadblocks. Could use any advice you've got. Thanks!

Comment

@kingfetty - Was successfully able to start the plugin remotely, but it hangs during the startup process." See SSH logs below:

Code:
                              ryanb@LennyR3-iBeacon:~/hs3 $ sudo mono "HSPI_AirBeacon.exe" server=10.0.1.10
                              Plugin: AirBeacon Instance:  starting...
                              Connecting to server at 10.0.1.10...
                              Host API Version: 3
                              Connected, waiting to be initialized...
                              Starting version 1.0.15135.16
                              MobaXterm X11 proxy: Unsupported authorisation protocol
                              InitIO called, plug-in is being initialized...
                              Exception deserializing message: Could not find type 'System.Collections.SortedList+KeyList'.
                              Exception in Find_Devices/Enumerator: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                              Error in SerialPort Start, Message: No such file or directory

Unhandled Exception:
                              System.IO.IOException: Bad file descriptor
                              at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.ThrowIOException () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                              at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.Dispose (Boolean disposing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                              at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.Finalize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                              EDIT: More logs from HS3:
                              Code:
                              Sep-04 5:25:38 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Error in SerialPort Start, Message: No such file or directory
                              Sep-04 5:25:37 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Exception in Find_Devices/Enumerator: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                              Sep-04 5:24:37 PM	 	AirBeacon	InitIO called, plug-in is being initialized...
                              Sep-04 5:24:37 PM	 	AirBeacon	Starting version 1.0.15135.16
                              Sep-04 5:24:37 PM	 	Info	Plugin AirBeacon has connected. IP:10.0.1.12:60588
                              Sep-04 5:21:29 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Error in SerialPort Start, Message: No such file or directory
                              Sep-04 5:21:29 PM	 	AirBeacon Error	Exception in Find_Devices/Enumerator: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                              Sep-04 5:20:29 PM	 	AirBeacon	InitIO called, plug-in is being initialized...
                              Sep-04 5:20:28 PM	 	AirBeacon	Starting version 1.0.15135.16
                              Thoughts? The AirBeacon is plugged in to /dev/ttyUSB0 if it matters, and the plugin shows up as OK in HS3 as a remote plugin.
                              I've not tried it running linux, that may be the issue. I'll get a linux box up in my lab this week and give it a go and see if I can get it to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X