X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon00 Guestbook discussion

Please post your comments here!
    Jon

For those not familar with ASP, you will need to configure the page by opening Guestbook.asp in notepad or similar. Follow the instructions within!

Jon
    Jon

Comment

All add-on pages should be this easy to implement. The whole thing took 2 minutes!

Comment

Something I overlooked. If you put a comma in the message box, it stops further text from being displayed.

I will upload a modification later but if you have already downloaded it then you can amend it yourself. Find the line:

strMB1 = Replace (strMB1, chr(10), " ",1,-1,0)

and add:

strMB1 = Replace (strMB1, ",",";",1,-1,0)

Jon
        Jon

Comment

Version 1.05 posted with bug removed (with comma correcty displayed) and extra speaking facilities added. See the scripts library for more info.

Jon
          Jon

Comment

I am pretty new and no nothing about acripting. So until I learn (maybe) I rely on scripts posted. I used this with no problems and hope that people will countinue to share.

Brian

Comment

Jon also has logic in the script to update virtual device z31 with the number of guestbook entries, just by uncommenting about 5 lines.

BrianD, as you've noticed, even if you don't use all of the available scripts, there's a lotta good tutorials out there!

Comment

High value, easy install!

Comment

J00,

Thanks a lot for your work !

I have a problem : when I define the Default length of displayed messages for exemple to 3, when I choose on the asp to show 8, nothing happend... (I have 8 entries in my guestbook)

What is the problem ?

Thanks for help

Comment

Try setting the default number much higher than the number you currently have. For example, I currently have 40 entries in mine and its default is set at 100. The way its coded, it defaults your current entries (in your case 8) and adds entries to the combobox in increments of 5 so you can view the most recent 5, 10 etc.

I did recode a fair amount and I forget exactly what I changed, so hopefully my suggestion will work for you.

-Tom

Visit my HomeSeer at http://68.55.67.82:81 (New Guest Downloads!)
                    -Tom

Visit Kernhome
                    Kern Theater Gallery

(User: guest / Pass: guest)

Comment

I can see no reason why this is not working.

As Tom stated, the default length will display the last X entries in the Guestbook. If you are making changes to the page by modifing the default length, you need to close the page down completely and then re-open it. A refresh will not work.

Jon
                      Jon

Comment

... when I select in the drop down list a smaller or a higher number of entries to display nothing happend !

It seems that the 'submit' function does not work.

Here is a zip with my asp page and the gestbook.csv

Thanks for support
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ok,

I had a quick look for you.

It would appear that your modifications with the Homeseer title bars, UltraView2 etc to French is causing the problems. I quickly removed them and with your guestbook.csv, it is working perfectly.

If you go to my Homeseer server www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html and look under 'other', you will see your guestbook working. I will leave it there for a day.

I would suggest that you start with my original (removing the includes as necessary) and gradually add your modifications one by one until you find the problem.

Jon
                          Jon

Comment

I will follow your advise...

Hopping an happy End !

Le Zepf

Comment

Hi Jon,

I have an idea of using this Guestbook as note taking or todo list.

Name can be used as type of todos such as "grocery shopping" and comments can be used as details of the todo event.

The only problem is there's no way to delete an entry from the page. For guestbook, there's no need to do that. However, for todo, it'd be nice to have a way to delete each or multiple events on the same ASP page.

What do you think? I feel bad though as I'm stealing the idea from the Guest book.

Thanks,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X