Jon00 Harmony Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close, but not quite.

Oh, my eyes lit up when I found this. It *almost* does exactly what I want, but unfortunately not quite. If someone could help me work out what's going wrong, I'd really appreciate it.

Some background to explain what I want to do:

Harmony "Activities" are pretty much useless to me. They don't give enough granular control. I need a bunch of discrete device commands that I can control, bypassing activities.

One use is to build a bunch of remote controls in HSTouch. Another is for over-engineered Alexa-triggered events, but I won't go there....

I started with Riens plug-in, but after buying, I found it just didn't work well enough. https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=196267, so I turned that off and started again.

Next iteration (which is where I currently am) is to run https://github.com/maddox/harmony-api. The solution is a little horrible, as I've spun up an Ubuntu VM on my Windows Homeseer machine to run it in a docker container. It works perfectly so far though.

However, once I started integrating it, it's extremely cumbersome. For each button in HSTouch I want to press and send an IR code for, I have to create a new event calling a script which `curl`s a POST request to the container. Long-winded, but it works extremely reliably and with surprisingly little latency.

So enter this plugin which creates all the devices, similar to Riens plug-in. I though my job was done and hopes were high. But alas, not.

*MOST* discrete commands I've tried so far work flawlessly. However, some of the really important ones don't. Harmony simply never seems to send an IR signal. The best one which doesn't work so far (which is a nail in the coffin) is the "select" (or 'OK') button for an Amazon Fire TV (the fairly recent 4K one with the very short HDMI lead, not sure the exact model).

I'm not sure now if it's the BWS restful API, or Jon's plugin itself which could be the cause. I'm positive it's not the hub itself, as it sends all the right signals using the jonmaddox container I described above. Any guidance on how to debug would be great

Thanks,
    John.

Comment

I only interface to the Restful API so would suspect that may be the issue. You can always look at the command window to see what is happening. There is little control when sending via bluetooth and unlike IR, you cannot set any parameters in the hub.

You may be better off trying the newest kid on the block - MeHarmonyHub by Sirmeili. Frank has reverse engineered the Harmony app to provide direct control rather than polling the hub. It is available via the Homeseer updater for $39.95.
      Jon

Comment

Ah, yes. Thanks Jon.

Comment

Can someone point me in the right direction of how to solve this (sure it has already been sorted somewhere by using different Amazon Accounts or something)

Got various echos around the house and was successfully using Jon's Alexa Skill along with Echo location etc to turn on TV's in individual rooms just by saying turn the TV on, this was using a USBUIRT controlled by Homeseer

Recently bought a Harmony Hub to put in the bedroom to control an old Samsung TV on and off mainly, but wherever I am in the house now if I say TV on or TV off it seems to bypass the Jon Alexa and control the bedroom TV only, without having any control over the room where the Echo is located.

Any ideas on how to overcome it? Or have I set something up wrong??

Comment

Did you enable the Harmony Echo skill?
            Jon

Comment

Yeah, i thought I needed it but obviously it wasn't needed, your harmony skill connects and ive taken the original harmony skill off. Now works a treat
              Many thanks once again

Comment

Trying to add a 2nd hub and I seem to be missing something...

I created a copy of the file Jon00HarmonyHub1 and named it Jon00HarmonyHub2

In both files I have the following

Code:
                [Hub1]
                HarmonyHubIPAddress=192.168.1.115
                RestfulIPAddress=192.168.1.101
                RestfulPort=16701
                DisableDevices=0

[Hub2]
                HarmonyHubIPAddress=192.168.1.104
                RestfulIPAddress=192.168.1.101
                RestfulPort=16702
                DisableDevices=0
                In file "Setting.txt" I have the following

Code:
                HS3HostAdd=192.168.1.101
                ClientNo=1&2

I restarted and it only found activities for Hub1. Where I screw up here?

Comment

To run multiple clients, they need to be in seperate directories.

Therefore you would have 2 different settings.txt files:

Code:
                  HS3HostAdd=192.168.1.101
                   ClientNo=1
                  and
                  Code:
                  HS3HostAdd=192.168.1.101  
                   ClientNo=2
                  I suspect however you only want to run one client (which will handle up to 10 Hubs) so you would only use the first configuration shown.
                  Last edited by jon00; September 21, 2018, 10:21 AM.
                  Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                    To run multiple clients, they need to be in seperate directories.

Therefore you would have 2 different settings.txt files:

Code:
                    HS3HostAdd=192.168.1.101
                    ClientNo=1
                    and
                    Code:
                    HS3HostAdd=192.168.1.101
                    ClientNo=2
                    I suspect however you only want to run one client (which will handle up to 10 Hubs) so you would only use the first configuration shown.
                    That's correct, I only have 2 hub so 1 client. What happen is the ini file did't update when I added the 2nd HUB in there. I ended up removing it and and restart the program to let the data file rebuild and it's working now. Thank you

Comment

Is it possible to rename the inputs after it gets populated?

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
                        Is it possible to rename the inputs after it gets populated?
                        Yes, that should be possible. They are only named during the device creation process.
                        Jon

Comment

Works great.. renaming it doesn't seem to be a problem.

One more thing, when you add a new device or activity, why doesn't the plugin update? Is this by design?

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
                            Works great.. renaming it doesn't seem to be a problem.

One more thing, when you add a new device or activity, why doesn't the plugin update? Is this by design?
                            Yes, I suppose it is by design. It only checks for devices/activities on plugin startup which prevents unnecessary polling.
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                              Yes, I suppose it is by design. It only checks for devices/activities on plugin startup which prevents unnecessary polling.
                              So I rebooted both the client and HS3 but it doesn't update. I went as far as deleting the data files and it still didn't find it.

Comment

Did you restart the rest API?
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X