No announcement yet.

Jon00 Event Viewer & Documenter for HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you are trying to run a report?

You have to set the Sub or Function for your event to "Report" . For additional info see page 3 in the docs.
    Jon

Comment

Thanks, just caught that.

Comment

Event viewer was working before but now I can't access it.
        the .asp link refreshes constantly (icon left of tab name keeps refreshing) but never gets to the viewer page (blank screen);
        The .aspx link returns "Error Processing ASP.NET page: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
        Tried restarting HS3 and rebooting computer. HS3 Event management works correcly.
        Any advice on how to resolve this?
        Thx

Comment

what happens if you enter /test.aspx in the browser (hs test page)?
          Jon

Comment

Made some changes to network config, now the .ASP is back up.
            (had disabled " No Password Required for Local/Same Network Login (Web Browser/HSTouch)" for testing purposes which was probably the issue)

but ASPX still returns : "Error Processing ASP.NET page: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
            Same goes for /test.aspx;

Technically everything works but just wondering why I get this message for ASPX (Windows 10 - tested on multiple PC's)

Comment

Are you still on HS3? If HS4, that error was prevalent on 4.0.4.0 and you need to update to the latest beta.
              Jon

Comment

no, still running HS3 + latest version or Event viewer from your website, downloaded yesterday.

Comment

Your issue is nothing to do with the event viewer as the test page also fails. Perhaps a HS3 repair may assist?
                  Jon

Comment

Thanks John, would you mind defining "HS3 repair" ?
                    are you referring to a standard
                    HS3 feature or some manual process?

Comment

In Windows, go to where you would uninstall HS3. There should be a button marked Modify or something like that.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
                        Thanks John, would you mind defining "HS3 repair" ?
                        are you referring to a standard
                        HS3 feature or some manual process?
                        Did you resolve this? I see in another post that you are using task scheduler to start HS3. That may also be a cause. Shutdown HS3 and then start manually via its desktop icon. Does it make any difference?
                        Jon

Comment

Very nice catch Jon; that was it; just recently deployed auto start via task scheduler; questions:

- Root cause?
                          - Can I still use this method to auto start AND keep access to aspx pages?
                          - If no, how do recommend I proceed to keep both functionalities ?
                          - just for my knowledge, for some pages, changing from aspx to asp resolved it (not inieditor though); any benefits to aspx vs asp, differences ?

Thx

Comment

Root cause - starting Homeseer via task scheduler! It does not run HS correctly (admin issue) which cripples ASPX functionality.

Its frustrating that HST promote this as the correct way to start HS3.

The best option is to use startup delayer from r2 studios (free). Also gives you the option to start other programs with different delays which is cool.

asp uses older vbscript which is compiled on-the fly. It is not supported by Linux. aspx uses vb.net, which compiled first to memory and then serves the page. Used to be very slow with Homeseer but improved over time. With my stuff, it is very easy to provide both as I generate the page using a back-end VB.NET script (called code-behind) and the asp/aspx page just serves its output.

As most people want Windows/Linux compatibility, providing aspx is the only way to go.
                            Jon

Comment

Thx for the prompt and detailed reply; startup delayer on the way
                              Cheers,

Comment

My guess is this post would fix this issue with task scheduler. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ervice-or-task

Comment

Working...
                                X