No announcement yet.

Jon00 Event Viewer & Documenter for HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jon. In light of my large number of events I would like to request a filter choice of "Disabled" to help identify disabled events. It could be right under "Broken".
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Jon, I just downloaded the latest version and received this error when executing the Jon00EventViewer.asp page...

Oops! Something went wrong. Try a page refresh.

Error in Main Block 14: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at scriptcode31.VBWrapper.Main(Object MyData)

I get the same error if when trying to access the Jon00EventViewer.aspx page.

I looked at the PDF guide and did not see that I need to do any configuration... did I miss something. The older version I had was working with no issues.
      Billy

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        Thanks Jon. In light of my large number of events I would like to request a filter choice of "Disabled" to help identify disabled events. It could be right under "Broken".
        Under the sort-by option, select "Event Disabled - Ascending"
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
          Jon, I just downloaded the latest version and received this error when executing the Jon00EventViewer.asp page...

Oops! Something went wrong. Try a page refresh.

Error in Main Block 14: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at scriptcode31.VBWrapper.Main(Object MyData)

I get the same error if when trying to access the Jon00EventViewer.aspx page.

I looked at the PDF guide and did not see that I need to do any configuration... did I miss something. The older version I had was working with no issues.
          There is no change to the web page code from the version that you had. The only change I made was to the report sub-routine which is not even called when viewing it as a web page.

Is this just calling the page without any filters? Are there any additional error messages in the HS Log?
          Jon

Comment

Jon00,

This is absolutely phenomenal and I can appreciate the hard work that has gone in to producing it. I have been playing around this evening with my 484 events and immediately found one or two broken that I hadn't spotted before.

Also, I had pretty much stopped bothering to document events with notes because having to click on the notes icon of each event to see what I had written was just too cumbersome. Seeing the notes listed out with the event makes them so much more useful. In future it will be worth the effort to document complex events so I can remember my reasoning when creating them.

Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
              There is no change to the web page code from the version that you had. The only change I made was to the report sub-routine which is not even called when viewing it as a web page.

Is this just calling the page without any filters? Are there any additional error messages in the HS Log?
              Nothing additional in the log other than what is displayed in the webpage, same message. I was calling the webpage with no filters, just trying to navigate to it for the first time today.

Anyway, I downloaded the files again, same thing. Was getting ready to restart HomeSeer just to see if that would produce any positive results... but decided to navigate to the HomeSeer event page. Then I navigated to the Jon00EventViewer.asp, and Jon00EventViewer.aspx page without any issue... Yep, I agree, that's just weird... but hey it's working.

Thanks again for all you do.
              Billy

Comment

Under the sort-by option, select "Event Disabled - Ascending"
                I saw that. As I emailed you, I cannot scroll when a full list of my events is shown. This is probably due to my large number of events. If I filter on broken events, I can scroll on that small number of events. If I could filter disabled, it would be a smaller list and wouldn't lock up when scrolling.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks to this script, I have been able to reduce the number of events to about 1540 so far. I found a bunch of broken events due to devices that have been replaced over the last couple of years. While repairing those events I also was led to some I could improve. I am still working on it, but expect to reduce the event count by another 100.

As it must be obvious, describing all the events and their function would take a while, but here is some of what we do:
                  • Most things are affected by work schedules, time, temperature, occupancy. We control heat, DHW (hot water), lighting and power by work schedule, occupancy, distance from home and time
                  • Lighting levels are controlled by time of day and outside luminance and are affected by work schedule and occupancy. We use 5 modes for lighting, Daytime, Twilight (around sunrise/sunset), Nighttime, low light and asleep/awake. The initial lighting level is set based on these modes and adjusted as time transitions to a new mode. Automated lighting is also affected by activity. Motion controlled lighting is disabled in rooms where we are watching TV. In the media room, lighting is adjusted based on activity. The lighting is lower when we drop the screen and watch projected video than when we are watching the direct view. Lighting simulates occupancy at night when the house is vacant
                  • Announcements are made for washer/dryer ready, mail delivered, coffee ready, weather alerts, "mom" and "dad" arriving home, time, temperature and humidity, problems, reminders, etc. Announcements are disabled at night, but alerts will continue. The washer and dryer status is reflected in several places on LED rings of smart switches
                  • Systems are monitored for trouble. These include freezers, refrigerator, heating. air conditioning, network. If there is a problem a pushover message is sent or if the problem is with our connectivity another alert is issued. HomeSeer connected systems are also monitored for problems. If OneWire servers, Z-Nets, Arduinos, Envisalink or Brultech Gem go offline or stop reporting, the device and/or plug-in are restarted and notifications sent
                  • The surveillance system (including individual cameras) are monitored for online status
                  • The security system is controlled by and controls occupancy status. Doors, door locks and windows are checked each night as we go to sleep. Doors are locked and announcements are generated if anything is open when we go to sleep.
                  • The gas temperatures, air temperatures and electrical consumption of air conditioning is evaluated and notifications are sent if the performance is not within nominal.
                  • Hydronic (heat and hot water) is also monitored. The boiler temperatures, pipe temperatures, zone valve status, circulator and burner are evaluated for problems
                  • DHW and zone heating is evaluated to make best use of the boiler. Our DHW is indirectly heated from the same boiler as our heat. We try to limit short cycles and recover as much heat from the boiler as possible for DHW heating in the summer when we don't need heat. There are "emergency" methods to run the circulator and open zone valves when pipe temperatures get close to freezing.
                  • Heating and setback temperatures are adjusted based on occupancy, outside temperatures and work schedule. Bathrooms are preheated on work days for morning showers
                    {*]Scheduling "knows" holidays, adjusting heating, lighting power and announcements
                  • Our phones are at the center of the house "knowing" our locations. The polling rate of the phones is adjusted based on relative location to conserve battery. If batteries report low levels, polling is further
                  • There are some "fun" lighting events for holidays, local team sporting events, etc.
                  • Power is also managed by occupancy, time and work schedule. A lot of "vampire" electrical loads are reduced whenever possible. Systems are turned off at night or when the house is vacant. Items with high standby consumption are disconnected when unused. Workshop and garage battery chargers are powered on a schedule.
                  • Many lights are controlled by motion, with manual overrides if needed. Motion controls can be temporarily or permanently suspended or enabled by HomeSeer switch "scenes". Lights that are left on accidentally are turned off.
                  • With sub-freezing temperatures, our air compressor is shut down and an outdoor pump is disabled. If it is freezing and snow is forecast, our satellite TV dish is heated. In super low temperatures, our standby generator battery and engine heaters are powered
                  • Our generator is exercised once a week in November through April. If a problem occurs during exercise a notification is sent
                  • If a water leak is detected the household water is turned off. When we are on vacation, it is shut off. A water and natural gas usage monitor is on the wish list - we may add one, or monitor the pulses from the water and gas meters

The above is just an overview, I'm sure there are items I missed. Our goal is to eliminate personal interaction with systems as much as possible. The only daily required function is to tell the house we are going to sleep - we use a remote at bedside to set this. We also have to tell the house when we are going on vacation for extended periods, but it still knows when we are more than 50 miles from home.
                  Thank you Prade

Comment

Thank you very much Jon.. Have a beer on me!

Jon's new script found a couple of errors on some unused events I created. After looking at the issue detected, it made me wonder how to handle the following error when the device disappears. In the past, I had to delete all previous devices to get to the one which disappeared. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better way?

Robert
                    Attached Files
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

Jon's new script found a couple of errors on some unused events I created. After looking at the issue detected, it made me wonder how to handle the following error when the device disappears. In the past, I had to delete all previous devices to get to the one which disappeared. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better way?

Robert
                      Robert

I believe that you'll find that if you add a new/replacement device to the bottom of the list the ones in error status will disappear. I repeated this previous experience yesterday after replacing a couple of devices. You shouldn't need to delete a chunk of them and then re-add them, other than the ones that are no longer valid.

Cheers
                      James
                      cheeryfool

Comment

Jon

I just realised what you've created here, AFTER responding to Robert's question about fixing broken events. Holy $%&$#@$#$%. Installing now. This should fill a massive hole in the core HS offering. Will report back.

Cheers
                        James
                        cheeryfool

Comment

Ah... Perfect. Never knew that!

Thanks James!...

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
                            Jon00,

This is absolutely phenomenal and I can appreciate the hard work that has gone in to producing it. I have been playing around this evening with my 484 events and immediately found one or two broken that I hadn't spotted before.

Also, I had pretty much stopped bothering to document events with notes because having to click on the notes icon of each event to see what I had written was just too cumbersome. Seeing the notes listed out with the event makes them so much more useful. In future it will be worth the effort to document complex events so I can remember my reasoning when creating them.

Thanks again.

Steve
                            Many Thanks Steve!

I saw that. As I emailed you, I cannot scroll when a full list of my events is shown. This is probably due to my large number of events. If I filter on broken events, I can scroll on that small number of events. If I could filter disabled, it would be a smaller list and wouldn't lock up when scrolling.
                            Yes, understand, I have already added this request to the next release.

Originally posted by langenet View Post

Robert
                            Many Thanks Robert! Appreciated!

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                            Jon

I just realised what you've created here, AFTER responding to Robert's question about fixing broken events. Holy $%&$#@$#$%. Installing now. This should fill a massive hole in the core HS offering. Will report back.

Cheers
                            James
                            I'll await your report!
                            Jon

Comment

I'll await your report!
                              Jon

This is truly awesome. Found several events in my almost 300 that were broken that I didn't realise. Other than the filter that Randy suggested, the only thing that I can think of now, would be to enable us to click on the event title in your webpage to take us to the event in question. Of course, that may not be possible, but here's hoping.

Donation sent.

Cheers
                              James
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Many thanks indeed. Unfortunately linking to events directly is not possible and hence why you have to drill-down to find the event in question.

I've sent Randy the new version with the disabled search and appears to be working well. I just want to wait a bit to see if there are any other issues with V1.0.0 before release.
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X