HomeSeer Watchdog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Watchdog?

I am running HS3 Pro on a high end Windows 7 PC. For some reason every now and then I find that HS3 is no longer running on the PC and (but the speaker client is running just no longer connected to HS3).

I believe that HS3Sentry is supposed to do something (not sure what?) in terms of keeping an eye on HS3. For right now (while I try to figure out why HS3 stops) is there something that can monitor the HS3 process and restart it (or take some action if it dies).

I saw the Jon00 script to kill HS and restart HS but I have not seen anything that monitors HS3 running process and does something if it is not running.

Ideally what I would like to do if HS3 dies or is not responding would be:

1. Kill all running HS related processes (Speaker Client, Plug-Ins, etc)
    2. Notify me via some mechanism (SMTP email, SMS, Pushover, etc)
    3. Restart HS3

Then I need to figure out how to debug HS3 to understand why it is dying.

Thanks for any help with this!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

Is HSSentry not restarting HS3 for you? You may want to check the Windows event viewer for clues as to why HS3 is crashing.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Like a Rupp said, hssentry should restart HS if it dies, as long as it is enabled in setup. I think hssentry monitors the HS webserver.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Well I can tell you 100% for sure that then HS Sentry is not doing anything at all for me. Is there something that needs to be configured for HS Sentry to work? Time and time again, HS3 will die (as in it is not running at all but the speaker client is still there... now no longer connected to anything, but the speaker client is still running).

What do I need to do to make HS Sentry do its job? Or back to my original question, is there a way to check if the HS3 process is running and if not then kick it off again?

Next time HS3 dies, I will look in the logs for why... but in the mean time, I should be able to test HS Sentry by just killing HS3 and seeing that nothing happens...
        jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

HSSentry worked for me in 2016 when HS was dying due to network socket problems. It does have to be enabled under Other Settings on the Configuration tab of setup. There is no other setup required.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Thanks Krumpy. I do have an Elk M1 and I do have it setup to act as a Watch Dog of sorts for HomeSeer. I have a counter setup on the ELK M1 that starts at 7 and every minute I have a rule on the M1 that subtracts 1 from the counter. When the counter gets to zero it sends me and email and announces that there is something wrong with HomeSeer. On the HS3 side, I have an event that runs every minute that sets the counter on the M1 to 7. That way if HS3 dies I know about it within 7 minutes.

I have multiple relay outputs on the M1 and thought about using one of the relays to reset the HS3 PC, but decided to find a software route instead (since hard resetting the PC is harsh and does not gracefully try to shut down).

To answer your questions:
              I am running HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368 (Windows) on Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - 6.1.7601 Service Pack: 1.0

Everything works PERFECTLY and I never have any issue with any other application other than every once in a while (maybe 3 times a month), HS3 just dies.

Everything else is working fine and there are no signs of any problems on the PC. I can restart HS3 and all is well (though I usually reboot).

So my questions are:

1. Why does HS Sentry never do a damn thing?
              2. Is there a process monitor that can check and see if HS3 is running and if not then execute some actions on the PC that is dedicated to home automation.
              3. I can see where I might want more than is HS3 simply running (though that is a bare bones what I need). I may also want a watchdog to interact with the webserver and see the delay in responses and if there is no response in a timely manner, then restart / reboot.
              4. What should I be looking for the next time HS3 does just stop running?

Your thoughts?
              jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

What shows in your Windows event viewer as far as errors when HS3 is no longer reachable?
                Is HSSentry showing as a running process?

Comment

Next time HS3 dies I will do both:

1. Check if HSSentry is still a running process
                  2. Take a dump of the event logs

Besides those 2 items, anything else? Also, can't I force a test of HSSenty by simply killing the HS3 process?
                  jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeanv View Post
                    Also, can't I force a test of HSSenty by simply killing the HS3 process?
                    I've not tested this but it should work.

Comment

HS3 just dies

I'm having the same issue. HS even replaced my S6 but the problem still exists. I have many log files from each time it does. Today, HS pretty much said they couldn't replicate it and I'm on my own.

Can anyone tell me more about HSSentry? Is a Windows Event or an HS3 Setup.

Below is the pretty consistent error I get right when HS3 shuts down. HS has reviewed the HS log files and says nothing looks abnormal.

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
                      Warning 4/11/2018 8:05:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 86399 seconds since the last report.
                      Warning 4/11/2018 8:05:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 86399 seconds since the last report.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonr2231 View Post
                        I'm having the same issue. HS even replaced my S6 but the problem still exists. I have many log files from each time it does. Today, HS pretty much said they couldn't replicate it and I'm on my own.

Can anyone tell me more about HSSentry? Is a Windows Event or an HS3 Setup.

Below is the pretty consistent error I get right when HS3 shuts down. HS has reviewed the HS log files and says nothing looks abnormal.

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
                        Warning 4/11/2018 8:05:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 86399 seconds since the last report.
                        Warning 4/11/2018 8:05:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power 37 (7) The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 86399 seconds since the last report.
                        What plugins are you running? Do you have issues if you run no plugins?

Comment

Comment

Select Tools > Setup > Other Settings > HSSentry (Software system monitor)

Comment

Thank you. Found it

Comment

Working...
                              X