Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use FLIRC with Raspberry Pi 3 To Send Commands To HS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use FLIRC with Raspberry Pi 3 To Send Commands To HS3?

Jon00, I am looking at your FLIRC code and think of my problem.

I have 7 locations in my home that I want to be able to send commands back to HomeSeer (each of the location would have say 10 unique commands). I want to issue the commands via and IR programmable remote (Like a Harmony 650). I can program each location with some device IR codes that will map to something.

My thought is this:

I can use a FLIRC in a Raspberry Pi 3 in each of the 7 locations. Each Pi will then receive a set of IR signals at that location that I want the Pi 3 to react to and send an IP command over WiFi back to the HS3 server.

What would I use to accomplish this? What code would run on the Pi 3 to react to the IR commands and then communicate with HS3 to modify a device or kick off an event?

Any thoughts?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

Your scenario would work now if you were using Windows PC's/sticks etc. The plugin is remote enabled and uses bespoke Windows interrupts to monitor keyboard presses. This would not work under Linux.

Therefore someone with detailed knowledge of Linux/Python would need to access the Raspberry Pi input event system and write a bespoke remote plugin to achieve what you want.
    Jon

Comment

Jon00, I did some research and found some information on the Raspberry Pi.

The Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian includes a demon called TriggerHappy. Its purpose in life is to do what you mentioned as a keyboard intercept and then trigger actions.

I have never used it but found info online.

So I guess here would be my development steps:

1. Figure out how to send JSON commands to HS3 to trigger changes to devices or trigger events

2. Attach those JSON commands to keyboard shortcuts using this TriggerHappy (thd) - [I need to learn how to do this as it is the glue]

3. Test using the Keyboard shortcuts on the Raspberry Pi 3 and see that the HomeSeer events and devices execute and change

4. Buy a FLIRC and program it on a PC to issue certain keyboard shortcuts when it receives certain IR signals (I think this is how it works)

5. Plug the programmed FLIRC into the Raspberry Pi 3 that is configured with the TriggerHappy keyboard hotkeys

6. Test using the IR remote and see if the Raspberry Pi 3 sends the commands to HomeSeer

Jon00, am I missing anything here? What does your Windows code do differently from that I am describing? How should I change my approach?

Thanks for any help!
      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Before you go too far, I suggest you see if TriggerHappy will monitor the Keyboard emulation of the FLIRC. Other than that it looks fine. Mine is a remote plugin so connects directly to Homeseer but using JSON triggers for events should be fine.
        Jon

Comment

It Works!!! Wireless IR To IP Converter Using FLIRC and Raspberry Pi

It works 100% I can now send IR commands to HomeSeer from any location and map them in any way I want to trigger events, control a device, etc! It can do single key press or ramp.

Here is a video.. The response time is insanely fast!

jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Excellent. It may be good to write up what you have done for others?
            Jon

Comment

I will do just that once I figure out how to embed this in a media player running on the Raspberry Pi. That way the Pi can serve a dual purpose as both a IR to IP gateway for sending commands to HomeSeer as well as a local media player.

Once I am done I will pull it all together step by step.

Thanks for your inspiration and guidance!
              jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

i know this is an older thread but I am interested in adding a FLIRC USB to my Zee S2 controller and being able to trigger a HS event with IR. I have the Zee S2 in the same room as my IR remote. Have been looking into Jon00's FLIRC add in but I don't think that will work with the Zee S2 as it is linux based. jeanv would what you did above work with a ZeeS2 since the ZeeS2 is based on the Raspberry Pi?

Comment

I do not know if it would work... I wish I had documented my process or kept the files... I really dropped the ball on this work effort. I may bring it back to life some time.
                  jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

+1 for this one...

Comment

Working...
                    X