The dreaded Newtonsoft.Json.dll issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dreaded Newtonsoft.Json.dll issues

I recently upgraded to v3.0.0.425 and had issues with the z-wave plugin not starting. I found and followed the guidance on removing the Newtonsoft.Json.dll in the HS3 root directory in this thread to resolve.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=193800

Since removing the dll, my logs now show script compiler issues with Jon00RCCNMHS3_A.vben & Jon00VDGraphingHS3.vben trying to locate Newtonsoft.Json.dll.

I reviewed the plugin/script docs and found no reference to the newtonsoft dll requirements and also attempted to open the scripts to look for the dll reference and change it to a subfolder location but they are encrypted and I am unable to edit.

Anyone else experiencing similar? Any troubleshooting support is appreciated.

Neither script use Newtonsoft.Json.dll so I cannot see how this is related.
    Jon

Comment

Hi there Jon, below are the log entries that repeat every few minutes. Wonder if the HS3 compiler has a reference/dependency on the dll? Any other logs or system details I can provide that might assist in troubleshooting? To note I don't seem to have any symptoms with the script functionality. I will test each to make sure.

Code:
      Apr-12 1:21:37 PM	 	Error	Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\Jon00VDGraphingHS3.vben: compiler initialization failed unexpectedly: The system cannot find the file specified.
      Apr-12 1:21:37 PM	 	Error	Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\Jon00VDGraphingHS3.vben: could not find library 'Newtonsoft.Json.dll'
      Apr-12 1:20:58 PM	 	Error	Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\Jon00RCCNMHS3_A.vben: compiler initialization failed unexpectedly: The system cannot find the file specified.
      Apr-12 1:20:58 PM	 	Error	Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\Jon00RCCNMHS3_A.vben: could not find library 'Newtonsoft.Json.dll'

Comment

Woops, take that back. Just checked and the VD Graphing Devices last updates were last night when I removed the DLL. I have restarted HS3 a few times during troubleshooting no errors are present in the startup log.

Comment

You will notice that the first error states it cannot find the script file. Therefore it cannot run. You have broken something! I suggest you try a .Net repair. I trust you take regular backups you can revert to?
          Jon

Comment

Ah yes, it's been a long week of troubleshooting other issues. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll roll back, test the update again and post my findings. I appreciate the support and a tremendous thanks for your amazing scripts/plugins that really make HS shine!

Comment

In reverting to backups and troubleshooting I identified that somewhere along the line when downloading/adding/testing different HS community scripts, one of them directed the Newtonsoft.Json.dll to be placed in the HS root directory and a Scripting Reference to the dll added to the settings.ini.

This reference was the root cause of the log symptoms with the new update. Removing the dll from the root directory and the scripting reference resolved all issues and I'm back up and running perfect.

Thanks again for the support!!

Comment

Working...
              X