Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jon00 Particulate Matter Sensor (Air Quality) Project for Homeseer 3 & Homeseer 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jon,

Interesting script, for your interest there is also a fairly good Air Quality source at http://aqicn.org/
    This is a site which collects readings from all over the world, may be useful for those who don't want to build a specific device.

I tend to use this source a fair bit, although did run a Sharp Dust sensor interfaced through the Arduino plugin.
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Hi Travis, just curious, how do you pull/extract the data from http://aqicn.org/ to use it in HS ?
      Thanks

Comment

Built two of these sensors, great project.

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
          Hi Travis, just curious, how do you pull/extract the data from http://aqicn.org/ to use it in HS ?
          Thanks
          I never got that far lol, there is an API you can use e.g. http://api.waqi.info/feed/geo:999.45...83/?token=demo which takes latitude and longitude to give a JSON output however, I never got around to interfacing it.
          HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Hi Jon!

Spent a "Corona" Saturday to build this sensor and have just finished to integrate it to Homeseer. Thank you for a nice project!

Fredrik

Comment

Interested in NO2 measurement and checked what is now available om Ebay.

One sensor for NO2 with a resonable price is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitrogen-...UAAOSwt-5dDIYL.

Anybody with more skills than me that could find a way to integrate this sensor to Homeseer?

Fredrik

Comment

I did not find the circuit or application note at the eBay link for the no2 sensor board. I did see others and all that is needed in the interface is a low voltage (0 to 2.5 volts) with a linear conversion from voltage to no2 level.

If I was going to integrate it I would use some form of a ESP8266 such as Wemo D1 mini or NodeMCU and connect the sensor voltage pickoff to the A0 pin of the microcontroller. Load the microcontroller with Tasmota binary, configure the module to enable A0 as an input sensor and MQTT as the interface protocol, use mcsMQTT to read the sensor readings into HS. mcsMQTT can do the linear conversion from voltage to no2 levels.

Comment

Originally posted by FredrikKan View Post
                  Hi Jon!

Spent a "Corona" Saturday to build this sensor and have just finished to integrate it to Homeseer. Thank you for a nice project!

Fredrik
                  Thanks! Ironic that pollution levels have dropped considerably do to the coronavirus!
                  Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    I did not find the circuit or application note at the eBay link for the no2 sensor board. I did see others and all that is needed in the interface is a low voltage (0 to 2.5 volts) with a linear conversion from voltage to no2 level.

If I was going to integrate it I would use some form of a ESP8266 such as Wemo D1 mini or NodeMCU and connect the sensor voltage pickoff to the A0 pin of the microcontroller. Load the microcontroller with Tasmota binary, configure the module to enable A0 as an input sensor and MQTT as the interface protocol, use mcsMQTT to read the sensor readings into HS. mcsMQTT can do the linear conversion from voltage to no2 levels.
                    What I liked with "Nitrogen Dioxide NO2 Gas Sensor Breakout Board MiCS-2714" is the price, $ 48. But I guess it does not interface as easy with NodeMCU;

Measurement range: 0.05 to 5 ppm
                    Resistance in air: 0.8 to 8 kΩ (typically 2.2kΩ)
                    Sensitivity: 6 to 100 (typically 55; ratio between the resistance at 0.25ppm and in air)
                    Supply voltage: 1.7V to 2.5V DC
                    Operating temperature: -30 to +85 °C
                    Response time: 30 seconds

It would be nice if the same NodeMCU could be used as for the particulate matter sensor. I guess that would require additional components in order to interface with the NodeMCU. Supply voltage need to be reduced from 3.3 volt to 2.5 volt and the resistance output used to produce a linear voltage?

What sensor and what is the price for the sensor you found?

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Thanks! Ironic that pollution levels have dropped considerably do to the coronavirus!
                      Yeah - but it is a good opportunity to measure the difference when it start to ramp up again.... It is also ironic that we all(?) kind of wish it will ramp up soon....

Comment

You may want to start a new thread if Jon does not want to add to this discussion.

What I looked at was the datasheet https://www.cdiweb.com/datasheets/e2v/mics-2710.pdf. They provide a circuit that involves only one additional resistor.

I suspect it is just a packaging difference with the SMT device on the eval board that is on ebay. From the US I think there are other suppliers at a lower cost than the UK ebay link. I did not look for a source for the 4-pin through-hole package at the link I provided.

The ESP8266 is a 3.3v device and the Wemos mini/NodeMCU typically uses the 5V USB for power. Since the sensor is 2.5V you will need another power source, or more simply a 2.5 regulator that goes for around $1 to provide the Vcc for the sensor. Assuming the A0 is not already being used by Jon's circuit then it should be able to be integrated into the same hardware. I do not know if the uplink has provisions for this sensor.

The Wemos D1 mini is a $5 part so the cost driver will be the NO2 sensor.If it an be integrated with Jon's existing circuit then great. If not, then it is pretty simple to deploy an ESP8266 to provide the readings via WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                          You may want to start a new thread if Jon does not want to add to this discussion.
                          Yes, you are right - sorry for hijacking the thread - will create another thread if i decide to pursue this idea.

Fredrik

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                            This project allows you to construct a Particulate Matter Sensor (PM2.5 & PM10) for outside (or inside) your home and import the data directly into HomeSeer. It uses the design from Luftdaten.info (German) using a NodeMCU v3, SDS011 Fine Dust Sensor and optional Temp/Humidity/Pressure sensors which are all available from Amazon, Ebay or AliExpress (cheaper).

Because construction is designed for non-programmers, software for the NodeMCU is provided and just needs to be loaded on the board. Your data is uploaded to Luftdaten.info where it is stored and can be used to display graphs of pollution over time. The data is not identifiable unless you opt-in and allow it to be plotted on a world-wide map to show pollution levels and assist with sensor deployments across the world.

Local data from the sensor can also be imported to HomeSeer devices (as seen below) using the script on my site.

Click image for larger version Name:	PMSensor.PNG Views:	1 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	1299664

English Home Page for Luftdaten.info can be found here.

Construction manual for the Particulate Manual Sensor can be found here.

Additional details can be found in this document.

Active Sensor Map can be found here.

For ease of construction, their design uses PVC pipe to house the components. If you have/access to a 3D printer and want a more professional housing, I used this design from Thingiverse which uses an off-the shelf electrical junction box. This design includes a DHT22 Temperature/Humidity Sensor and a BMP180 Pressure/Temperature Sensor. There are also other case designs on Thingiverse which may be suitable.

Click image for larger version Name:	PMSensor1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	1299663

Click image for larger version Name:	PMSensor2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	1299662

The script is available from my site (click on my banner below). Any problems, please let me know.
                            Hi Jon,

I love all of your hard work and tend to use it on my HS system. Is this version also checking CO2? We are going to move to a new apartment and the new buildings are not ventilated anymore as you might know, there will be a system installed which measures the CO2 levels and regulates the oxygen by distributing fresh air from one of the rooms to the others. I would like to measure the CO2 levels my self, and I found this interesting page with your name on it, hence the question about measuring CO2...

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Richard

Comment

No, CO2 is not supported.
                              Jon

Comment

I've built on of these sensors and been running the script the last 24 hours - and am now seeing devices being deleted and re-created every time it runs now. Is this normal? These are the US AQI, US AQI PM2.5 and 24 Hr devices.
                                Oct-22 8:02:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device created for Address Jon00-FPM-22 with Reference: 6161
                                Oct-22 8:02:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device created for Address Jon00-FPM-21 with Reference: 6160
                                Oct-22 8:02:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device ***deleted*** with Address Jon00-FPM-19 and Reference: 6157
                                Oct-22 8:02:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device ***deleted*** with Address Jon00-FPM-18 and Reference: 6156
                                Oct-22 8:02:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device created for Address Jon00-FPM-13 with Reference: 6159
                                Oct-22 8:02:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device created for Address Jon00-FPM-12 with Reference: 6158
                                Oct-22 8:00:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device ***deleted*** with Address Jon00-FPM-22 and Reference: 6155
                                Oct-22 8:00:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device ***deleted*** with Address Jon00-FPM-21 and Reference: 6154
                                Oct-22 8:00:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device created for Address Jon00-FPM-19 with Reference: 6157
                                Oct-22 8:00:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device created for Address Jon00-FPM-18 with Reference: 6156
                                Oct-22 8:00:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device ***deleted*** with Address Jon00-FPM-13 and Reference: 6153
                                Oct-22 8:00:05 AM Jon00_PMSensor Virtual device ***deleted*** with Address Jon00-FPM-12 and Reference: 6152

Comment

Working...
                                X