PerfMon and Win 10 build 1903

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PerfMon and Win 10 build 1903

This is probably a windows update issue, but my HS3 server ran on average 8% cpu before this update. See here as a possible issue although Microsoft will not acknowledge in release notes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1567162840993

Anyway, my CPU now averages 50% from PerfMon. I cannot however see similar peaks in task manager or perform monitor on the windows box itself. seems to show a level 15-20%

I was wondering if anyone else runs win10 build 1903 and Jon00perfMon and noticed a rise in CPU?

The only reason I was aware of it was I trigger an event when cpu goes over 40%, so great app!!

The average sometimes goes down when I rdp to the server (I was thinking background tasks, but I have turned most everything off)
    The HS chart where the graph shows in blue is ~54%

Chuck
    Attached Files

Originally posted by charlesmbell View Post
    This is probably a windows update issue, but my HS3 server ran on average 8% cpu before this update. See here as a possible issue although Microsoft will not acknowledge in release notes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1567162840993

Anyway, my CPU now averages 50% from PerfMon. I cannot however see similar peaks in task manager or perform monitor on the windows box itself. seems to show a level 15-20%

I was wondering if anyone else runs win10 build 1903 and Jon00perfMon and noticed a rise in CPU?

The only reason I was aware of it was I trigger an event when cpu goes over 40%, so great app!!

The average sometimes goes down when I rdp to the server (I was thinking background tasks, but I have turned most everything off)
    The HS chart where the graph shows in blue is ~54%

Chuck
    FOLLOW UP:

I noticed something. I run a headless home automation server on win10. So when I configure it, I RDP to the server.

This build 1903 peaked my CPU (ran from ~8% to ~54% after the update).

But I noticed that when I was RDP to the PC, the cpu ran ~15-20%. But when I logged out of the RDP session, the CPU went back up to +50% (I can tell because the Jon00 script).

Anyway, I added a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to watch the PC when not RDP'd in to see if I could catch a process spiking the CPU. I was thinking it was a maint task, or scan.

But to my surprise with a monitor and keyboard/mouse attached, the PC runs back down ~8-10% again.

Just to be sure, I removed the monitor keyboard and mouse again, rebooted, waited a few and it spiked again.

I think I found my issue, Not sure this is the same use case as others, but thought I would mention it.

Comment

Maybe I have had a similar? experience - 50 % continuous utilization on a VM but then ramps to 100% and unable to connect via RDP.
      Anyway - this is on a VM via ESXi
      I fixed by uninstalling KB4512508.

Comment

I upgraded to 1903 a few weeks and haven't seen any appreciable difference in CPU utilization. Perfmon and Resmon both report being where they've always been for me.
        My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Finally got Perfmom plugin working, as I ran into the temp folder issue due to Task Scheduler method of launching during headless server startup as a background process.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ervice-or-task

It is a weak dual-core Celeron N2807 CPU so I expected things to be high, but surprisingly it is only 17% on CPU with HomeSeer taking between 0.11% and 3% depending on amount of events/Z-Wave traffic. Still at early stages on setting everything up, so only have a measly 14 Z-Wave devices with 107 HomeSeer device entries, but that will expand soon.

Headless Win 10 Pro 1903 box that I control via RDP when needing to manually install HS3 plugins, but otherwise control via web GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesmbell View Post

FOLLOW UP:

I noticed something. I run a headless home automation server on win10. So when I configure it, I RDP to the server.

This build 1903 peaked my CPU (ran from ~8% to ~54% after the update).

But I noticed that when I was RDP to the PC, the cpu ran ~15-20%. But when I logged out of the RDP session, the CPU went back up to +50% (I can tell because the Jon00 script).

Anyway, I added a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to watch the PC when not RDP'd in to see if I could catch a process spiking the CPU. I was thinking it was a maint task, or scan.

But to my surprise with a monitor and keyboard/mouse attached, the PC runs back down ~8-10% again.

Just to be sure, I removed the monitor keyboard and mouse again, rebooted, waited a few and it spiked again.

I think I found my issue, Not sure this is the same use case as others, but thought I would mention it.
            https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-468e51d743ab

This is a known problem with 1903.

I made the change in the above post and the problem was resolved.

Comment

My HS servers are virtually identical (primary and backup), with the same Xeon processors (the backup is v2 and the primary is v3). They are only run headless, so I only access them via IPMI (rarely) and RDP (mostly). Both of them were running 1803, I never did the 1809 update. I updated our laptops and desktops to 1903 over the last few weeks, without issue. These were either i5 or 17 mobile or i5 and i7 desktop units. There were no appreciable changes in CPU, memory or other usages.

Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and update the HS servers (always a risk). The first thing I did was to update the backup server to 1903. I did this yesterday morning. After all updates were applied, I shutdown HomeSeer and moved it to the backup server and started. This move takes about 5 minutes as I:
              • Shut down HomeSeer
              • Stop the auto startup through startup delayer
              • Copy the entire directory structure to the backup server
              • Change the DHCP reservation on the primary and reboot
              • Assign the primary IP reservation to the backup server
              • Reboot the backup to grab the new static IP
              • Start HomeSeer
              • Enable auto startup through startup delayer.
              This routine keeps HomeSeer at the same IP, which is much better for a multitude of reasons.

Here you can see where I started HS3 on the backup server at 9:39 AM I had stopped it on the primary about 7 minutes earlier. It is easy to see the average CPU utilization about doubled. As these are headless units, they only use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and the Microsoft Remote Display Adapter. These charts are all derived from Jon00 PerfMon Devices.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	1323960

I left HS running on the backup server until just before 6:00 PM, then made the move back to the newly updated primary. Here is a chart covering about 3 days, again covering the point where I did the updates. This proves that CPU usage about doubled after the update and did not appreciably change between the two servers, each now running 1903.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	1323961

Now it gets more interesting. If I look at processes in the Task Manager on the machine, HomeSeer is still hovering between 10% and 15% as it always has and the total of all processes other than HS only runs 2-4%. So What I am seeing in the Task Manager appears about the same as it always was, but Jon00's HomeSeer CPU about doubled.

I am not sure I will spend any more time looking at this as the only anomaly seems to be in PerfMon. It also appears that my overall average server energy usage is close to the same as before the update.
              Randy Prade
              Aurora, CO
              Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Make sure that you update any of the HS dll files that are copied into the folders for Jon00's plugins when you update HS. Having outdated dll's has caused high CPU issues in the past for others (including me ).
                HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  Make sure that you update any of the HS dll files that are copied into the folders for Jon00's plugins when you update HS. Having outdated dll's has caused high CPU issues in the past for others (including me ).
                  I don't know if that was directed at me, but it is good advice. I have a batch file I run anytime I update HomeSeer that copies the files used in any of Jon00s plug-ins to the appropriate folders..For now that is only Database Graphing.

That said, my CPU usage remained nearly doubled since installing the windows 1903 update. My HS server energy usage average went up by about 20%. The biggest clue was hearing the server fans, which are usually quiet. I rolled back to 1803 Saturday and CPU is now down, as is energy and the fans are back to normal. There is a lot of discussion about similar problems and Microsoft is rumored to address it in the next update (1909)

Randy Prade
                  Aurora, CO
                  Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    I don't know if that was directed at me, but it is good advice. I have a batch file I run anytime I update HomeSeer that copies the files used in any of Jon00s plug-ins to the appropriate folders..For now that is only Database Graphing.

That said, my CPU usage remained nearly doubled since installing the windows 1903 update. My HS server energy usage average went up by about 20%. The biggest clue was hearing the server fans, which are usually quiet. I rolled back to 1803 Saturday and CPU is now down, as is energy and the fans are back to normal. There is a lot of discussion about similar problems and Microsoft is rumored to address it in the next update (1909)
                    Thanks Randy, it was intended for the OP.

Cheers
                    Al
                    HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                    X