DBChart Setup and Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DBChart Setup and Use

I use this PI regularly. One of its uses is to track the hot water temp through my hot water recirc system. Sometimes however, it misses when a device activated. For instance if someone gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, the motion sensor turns on the recirc pump. By the time they finish their business, the water to the faucet is nice and warm. The pump only runs for a minute and 15 seconds.

The problem is that in the chart, the water temp gets recorded but some of the pump cycles are not getting recorded although it is coming on and it is in the log as such.

So the question is "Which database update mode would be better to use?" Right now I have fixed timer 10 minute referenced to minute. I've never really understood these since it seems whatever I've picked gives me usable graphs, until now.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 02-09-20 at 12.33 PM.PNG
Views:	333
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1361023
    Feb-09 06:01:00 Event Deleting event after run: "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 06:01:00 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to Off (0)
    Feb-09 06:01:00 Event Event Trigger "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 06:00:00 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to On (255)
    Feb-09 03:52:59 Event Deleting event after run: "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 03:52:59 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to Off (0)
    Feb-09 03:52:59 Event Event Trigger "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 03:51:44 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to On (255)

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    I use this PI regularly. One of its uses is to track the hot water temp through my hot water recirc system. Sometimes however, it misses when a device activated. For instance if someone gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, the motion sensor turns on the recirc pump. By the time they finish their business, the water to the faucet is nice and warm. The pump only runs for a minute and 15 seconds.

The problem is that in the chart, the water temp gets recorded but some of the pump cycles are not getting recorded although it is coming on and it is in the log as such.

So the question is "Which database update mode would be better to use?" Right now I have fixed timer 10 minute referenced to minute. I've never really understood these since it seems whatever I've picked gives me usable graphs, until now.
    Feb-09 06:01:00 Event Deleting event after run: "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 06:01:00 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to Off (0)
    Feb-09 06:01:00 Event Event Trigger "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 06:00:00 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to On (255)
    Feb-09 03:52:59 Event Deleting event after run: "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 03:52:59 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to Off (0)
    Feb-09 03:52:59 Event Event Trigger "Delayed Actions Hot Water Recirc Switch (Delayed Action)"
    Feb-09 03:51:44 Device Control Device: Controls Command Central Hot Water Recirc Switch to On (255)
    For items like this (where I want to chart on and off times of a pump, switch or other binary state device) I use On Device Value Change so that I can track its every change of state. It is a balancing act to decide the best method. It is my understanding that a database will be updated when ANY monitored device changes, so you also have to be mindful of every device in the database. There is a practical limit of about 8000 records when generating a graph. More than that ant the charting will fail. That means you could update a device every 10 seconds all day and be able to see a graph of 24 hours. If you want to see 5 days, you are limited to about once a minute. This means you need to compromise between granularity and maximum charting period desired. Most of my charting needs only call for the last 24 hours, so the number of datapoints are of little consequence. On something where I need to look at longer periods in a chart, I reduce the sampling frequency. It is also possible to monitor the same device with more than one sampling frequency, if needed.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I kind of understand what you're saying, my issue is the event triggers works as it does successfully start the pump every time it should and it's logged as such. I guess I have to select a different timer.

Comment

I kind of understand what you're saying, my issue is the event triggers works as it does successfully start the pump every time it should and it's logged as such. I guess I have to select a different timer.
        That is what I am suggesting. Use On Device Value Change as your database update method, instead of a timer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	49637DAE-CA0C-4C39-9AA2-7CA4FD5FBF33.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1361065

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I see!!! Thank you!

Comment

Right now I have fixed timer 10 minute referenced to minute. I've never really understood these since it seems whatever I've picked gives me usable graphs, until now.
            Just to explain the 10 minute timer referenced to the hour, the database will record the value of whatever you are monitoring at exactly 10 min past, 20 min past, half past, 20 min to, 10 min to and on the hour. If values change between these 10 min slots, nothing would be recorded. By using the device value change setting, the database will always capture any changes.
            Jon

Comment

Working...
            X