Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
    How many events do you have?

Would you leave it running for a few minutes to see if the page finally renders.
    Hmm....seems like you may be on to something Jon00. Even though the page it blank, I did right-clicked and took a look at the page source and saw where it's set to run the .aspx file, but it's just not loading the iframe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap184.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1480839

Comment

The code is just the HS4 html wrapper for the web page.

It looks like you have the HS3 and HS4 version installed together. Would you please delete everything in the scripts and html directory with files starting with Jon00EventViewer and then reinstall the HS4 version. Let's go from there.
      Jon

Comment

The code is just the HS4 html wrapper for the web page.

It looks like you have the HS3 and HS4 version installed together. Would you please delete everything in the scripts and html directory with files starting with Jon00EventViewer and then reinstall the HS4 version. Let's go from there.
        Tried that. Deleted all the Jon00* files, copied over from the HS4 specific zip, same results.

Comment

Ok, so now try and call Jon00EventViewer.aspx and wait a few minutes. Are there any errors in the log or on the screen?
          Jon

Comment

Ok, so now try and call Jon00EventViewer.aspx and wait a few minutes. Are there any errors in the log or on the screen?
            Nope, and the favicon just loops like it's trying to load the page.

Comment

I'm going to have to admit defeat then. I have nothing to go on to diagnose the issue.
              Jon

Comment

I'm nor sure if the "Error Processing ASP.NET page: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" issue for the Jon00 Device Viewer has been resolved. I found this thread while investigating the same problem. I have some specifics on how it occurred in my case and I thought I would pass them along in case it might help in a resolution.

By the way, thanks jon00 for the great utilities. I downloaded Event Viewer and Device Viewer and they are great extensions to HS4. I made a donation yesterday (maybe the day before) but it might have come in anonymously.

My scenario:
                I Upgraded from HS3 to HS4 a few days ago. I encountered some issues with categories that caused me to upgrade with a couple of HS4 betas, too. I am running v4.2.5.0 on Windows 10. I have both the Device Viewer and Event Viewer installed.

I was using Device Viewer extensively over the past two days and had no problems. Today I endeavored to get HS4 to auto start at boot up - without logging in. I created a task to do so in Task Manager (as I had done before for HS3) and tested it by 1) shutting down HS4 (using BLShutdown), 2) rebooting Windows, and 3) accessing HS4 from a different (Windows 10) PC after my HS4 PC rebooted. I did not login on the HS4, so HS4 was running with no users logged into the HS4 PC when I accessed it from a different PC. If it matters, all this occurred on my local LAN nothing truly remote.

I was able to access HS4 just fine and access any of the standard screens. I got the "Error Processing ASP.NET page: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when I tried to access the Device Viewer.

Assuming that my newly created task was likely the culprit, I went to Task Manager and halted it, which also killed HS4. I then started HS4 from the desktop icon and tried accessing Jon00DeviceViewer from the HS4 PC. Everything worked fine, including the Jon00 Device Viewer.

I am a long way from expert on this stuff, but in my case the error seems directly correlated to starting HS4 with a task that is run at system boot up. I'd be very interested in suggestions since I've been starting HS3 this way for a while now and would like to continue to do so in HS4.

Comment

Easy fix for Task Manager:

In the Task/Actions/Edit Action, make sure you place the full path to Homeseer in the Start in field i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4"
                  Jon

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, jon00 . My scheduled task already had the full path name to HS4.exe. In my case it was in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3" folder (as opposed to "C:\....HS4" ) since I upgraded in place.

On further investigation, I found in my HS4 log that my "Error Processing ASP.NET page: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error was preceded by the following:
                    "Creating ASP Host (1): Could not load file or assembly 'HomeSeerUtil, Version=3.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

This error appeared in response to trying to open Jon00DeviceViewer.html for the first time after starting HS4. After that, subsequent attempts to open Jon00DeviceViewer.html only produced the former error. The same is true if I use test.aspx instead of Jon00DeviceViewer.html, so I suppose that implies a more systemic issue.

After searching the forum for possible causes, I thought maybe Windows UAC might be the problem. I turned it to the lowest setting and it did not help.

I am not crazy about the oft recommended solution of auto-login of a dedicated Homeseer user (with or without Startup Delayer), and prefer to start HS4 from a scheduled task without a login. I have not tried the auto-login solution because HS4 does start reliably for me (so far) with the scheduled task/no login. It just starts in a way that doesn't allow me to use your Device Viewer.

For now I have a work-around, which is to shut down HS4 and restart it from the desktop icon when I want to use your Device Viewer. I prefer doing this, as needed, to setting up a phantom user with auto-login, so I guess that's where I am for now.

I would appreciate if you let me know if you (or anyone else) have any other potential solutions to try.

Comment

You did not make it clear but do you have the full path in the Start In text box?

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	318
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1501253
                      Jon

Comment

Sorry I was not clear, jon00 The exact text that I have for "Start in (optional)" is "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3" . (The preceding text is a copy/paste from that dialog box location because it is not fully visible in the dialog box - see graphic below)

Name:	Task action Dialog.png
Views:	347
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1501263

Sorry my ambiguity caused you to have to follow up with graphics, but I did have that right all along. There is something else going on and I am at a loss.

Comment

I'm really not sure then. It seems to work for most people so something else must be going on.
                          Jon

Comment

Perhaps this problem The fix for "ASP.Net page" errors when running as service or task. - HomeSeer Message Board still exists in HS4. I wouldn't be surprised. You can try and roll it back if it doesn't help as it's a simple change.

Comment

Thanks a lot jon00 . I appreciate your help even though it didn't yield a fix. While browsing for other incidents of similar problems I stumbled over a solution that I implemented for HS3 but hadn't implemented for HS4. I came back here to post the solution and noticed that that mterry63 had already posted a link (above). This solved the problem for me.

mterry63 - I appreciate the link. I did find it before seeing your post (even blind squirrels, etc...), but I appreciate you providing it. It was the answer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sireone View Post

Nope, and the favicon just loops like it's trying to load the page.
                                Going back to this issue, I seem to be having the same problem. When the Jon00EventViewer.aspx page is displayed, it only shows "<meta http-equiv=refresh content='0' />" and that forces it to refresh repeatedly.

If I edit that file and switch out the vben call to the one for the Device Viewer, I get a compile error, but not the constant refreshing. This is most likely due to the MyData parameters not being in the same order. If I switch to the MyData values from the Device Viewer, it works fine - just as the Device Viewer.

Is there any chance there's a problem in Jon00EventViewerHS4ASPX.vben? I'm running v4.2.6.0.

Comment

Working...
                                X