No announcement yet.

Jon00 Windows Update Monitor for Homeseer 3 & Homeseer 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is now resolved. If other people are experiencing issues with multiple instances of the plugin running, please download version 1.0.3
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      This is now resolved. If other people are experiencing issues with multiple instances of the plugin running, please download version 1.0.3
      I can confirm v1.0.3 has solved the multiple instance problem. Thank you Jon!
      -Wade

Comment

Jon,

My use case for this utility is straightforward, but I'm having difficulty working out how how to do it effectively. I am currently monitoring 7 PCs and my primary purpose is to intervene when an update comes along that is likely to require a reboot. The vast majority of updates are antivirus definitions which I would like to ignore, so triggering notification off the WU Count results in many unnecessary notifications. If only MS would use the Severity variable for such a purpose!

Can you suggest a way to use the WU Details string to achieve this? I suppose I would need to somehow parse the string and ignore entries containing, for example, "Security Intelligence Update" and trigger off the others. My programming and scripting knowledge is limited, and I'm not sure how to approach the task. I'm reasonably capable of copy/paste/adapt scripting, however, so if you happen to have something I could start with it would be greatly appreciated.

Or if you'd be interested in adding the functionality into the PI that would be even better! 😏

I'm including this capture as example of 2 updates, 1 of which I would like to trigger on and 1 I'd like to ignore. Coincidentally it also shows how the counts sometimes rise to seemingly absurd numbers briefly before returning to the proper number. No idea what Windows is doing that would cause this but it's always brief and the number is typically corrected within one 10-minute polling cycle. I'm pointing this out for info and amusement only as it doesn't affect my use of the PI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	228
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1427510

Thank you.
        -Wade

Comment

I could probably add an exclude list option in settings.txt so if there is a matched string in the description, it would be excluded?
          Jon

Comment

Try V1.0.4 on my site.

Under settings.txt add:

exclude=antivirus

Additional strings can be added using 2 pipe commands || as the separator i.e.

exclude=antivirus||preview

Make sure you do this with the plugin shutdown.
            Jon

Comment

Thanks for the lightning-quick response and added feature! This should give me the functionality I need. I'll install later today and report back on how it goes.
              -Wade

Comment

Updated all my monitored PCs. It immediately filtered out the appropriate updates for each. Now to watch and be sure non-filtered updates continue as expected. No reason to think they won't.

Thanks again. Just sent you a beer.
                -Wade

Comment

It should work fine. Many thanks.
                  Jon

Comment

I got notice of an update yesterday and it got installed I think but it still shows the same update on the device in Hs4 today. When will it go away and be ready for the next update
                    I rebooted twice. Also how do you get it to show the optional updates?

Comment

You may need to press the Windows 'check for updates button' to see the update the plugin is indicating.

I don't believe the API has the option to show the optional updates.
                      Jon

Comment

Hey Jon. I have this utility installed, and haven't changed the default settings for check interval (which seems to be 10 minutes) but if you look at my log, it looks like it's checking almost every second. I'm also seeing an error. Please see attached.
                        Attached Files

Comment

At the moment, I can't see how that is happening. Please delete all 5 virtual devices and let the application recreate them again. Does that stop the issue?
                          Jon

Comment

Okay. I stopped the windows app, deleted the devices and started the app again (recreating the devices). So far I'm not seeing issues in the Log. Will report again if they return. Thanks.

Comment

jon00 I'm getting an issue with this plugin running constantly and getting memory errors. It seems to also slow my homeseer down to a crawl. See attached.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with me trying to check for updates to re-run on my homeTroller Plus?

Comment

Working...
                                X