jon00 motherboard & hard drive monitor discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jon

I've tried running various other scripts at intervals of 1 minute or less over the last week as you suggested and they make virtually no difference to the PC clock.

I've tried only running the speedfan script just incase there was some kind of bizarre conflict between it and others but it still causes the PC to loose about 3 mins a day.

I'm totally bamboozled

And yes, I am running version 1.02 of the script.

Andy

Comment

I'm at a loss. If you want to use this then either use a free Internet Time sync program to adjust your clock (there are loads out there) or change the registry values in Windows to alter your clock more frequently.
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        I'm at a loss. If you want to use this then either use a free Internet Time sync program to adjust your clock (there are loads out there) or change the registry values in Windows to alter your clock more frequently.
        I have a similar problem and i did as Jon suggests using the Windows Registry method. My clock now corrects itself every 3 hours and everything works fine.

Can't say if my clock issue is due to running the speedfan script though, It all works fine now so i'm not concerned.
        Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

I think I'll give the registry tweak a go because I quite like the speedfan script.

Thanks for your help

Comment

I came up with this a while ago and Gogs whitepapered it.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=128854

Open the zip file and click on each of the three .reg files and reboot and your computer will update the time each hour.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
              I came up with this a while ago and Gogs whitepapered it.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=128854

Open the zip file and click on each of the three .reg files and reboot and your computer will update the time each hour.

Thanks Bill

Comment

I am now running this script (version 1.02). The time for record highs and record lows is getting truncated. I changed the lines:

HighValTime = Mid(HighValTime,1,5)
                LowValTime=Mid(LowValTime,1,5)

to

HighValTime = Mid(HighValTime,1,11)
                LowValTime=Mid(LowValTime,1,11)

and it appears to be fixed. However, I haven't seen a time yet that has two digits in the hour, but I believe that should work.

Comment

cannot access SpeedFan log file

Jon,

I got the second error in my HS log about 30 times in a row in a 1 second period after the first error occurred. I'm almost 100% certain this happened when a virus scan of the machine was running. I don't know of any other software that would touch this file. The script has been running perfectly otherwise.

Would you consider adding error trapping so that this error could be ignored (not logged) if the user configures it this way?

12/21/2008 1:08:23 AM Jon00_Speedfan Error at code block C System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\SFLog20081221.csv' because it is being used by another process. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options) at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize) at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path) at scriptcode3.scriptcode3.Main(Object parm)

12/21/2008 1:08:24 AM Jon00_Speedfan Error at code block J System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDoub le(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble( String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble( String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble( String Value) at scriptcode3.scriptcode3.Main(Object parm)

Comment

Yes, I can do that but will probably have to be after Christmas now. How often are you running the script BTW?
                    Jon

Comment

No problem. I am running it once/minute on a single machine.

It looks like SpeedFan samples about every 4 seconds. I wish there was a way to select this sample rate as I would like to set it to every 60 seconds. Every 4 seconds burns too many CPU cycles for what I want.

Comment

I saw the errors again in the log and this time there was definitely not an anti-virus scan in progress. It must be a collision with SpeedFan itself.

Comment

It's probably the same issue as the UPS script in read/write collisions. That said, I have this running on 4 PC's and never see that error in the log.
                          Jon

Comment

Although my machine has plenty of memory, it's an older machine and not the speediest. I wonder if a slower machine (CPU, disk I/O, etc.) tends to aggravate the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
                              I am now running this script (version 1.02). The time for record highs and record lows is getting truncated. I changed the lines:

HighValTime = Mid(HighValTime,1,5)
                              LowValTime=Mid(LowValTime,1,5)

to

HighValTime = Mid(HighValTime,1,11)
                              LowValTime=Mid(LowValTime,1,11)

and it appears to be fixed. However, I haven't seen a time yet that has two digits in the hour, but I believe that should work.
                              This worked with two digits in the hour.

Have you had a chance to trap this error? I get an error about once every day or so (which turns into numerous errors in the HS log).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
                                Have you had a chance to trap this error? I get an error about once every day or so (which turns into numerous errors in the HS log).
                                No - I forgot about this I'll take a look during this week if I can.
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X