No announcement yet.

jon00 motherboard & hard drive monitor discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbelievable, that easy huh. Read right over that.

Sorry for the stupid question. (see avatar)
    -Tom

Visit Kernhome
    Kern Theater Gallery

(User: guest / Pass: guest)

Comment

I said it onece before, and I will say it again, I LOVE that avatar Tom! It certainly describes me to a "T" ! ! ! On the other hand, you cant blame everything on your avatar hehehe

Great script Jon! I just installed speed fan, and LOVE it! With motherboard monitor, I had to actually go dig around 2 closets and then the garage to find my motherboard box with the model number. Just to find out it wasnt supported! This ran correctly out of the box!

As for the script, even better yet! I am having it set to call my cell phone with an alert if the CPU fan really drops. I will have it read the speed to me, and optionally have the computer shut down till I get home and check it out. If it drops TOO low, or dies, it will take immediate action and shut the computer off without my intervention. Now the hard part is having my computer call me after it shuts itself off
      Visit My Home Seer Site at:
      www.JohnWPB.com
      Created with LCARS

Comment

what are the normal temperatures to expect? I have my temps running about 34-38 C; and the HD temps running about 27-38 C. What do you set the tolerances at? So far I have seen "checkmarks" and "down arrows".

I don't get any fan speeds. Is this my motherboard or is there a setting I can try?

Comment

Originally posted by johnwpb
          I had to actually go dig around 2 closets and then the garage to find my motherboard box with the model number. Just to find out it wasnt supported!
          ....and you call yourself a GEEK? ANY self-respecting GEEK knows his complete MB specs, BIOS version, and surely what sensors are available!

Comment

....and Jeff... just what is this "C" thing?

I run about 115 to 135 F on my Prescott.

Comment

thanks Ski, you're obviously "geekier" than either John or me I guess.

My temps are about 100 F, so I guess I'm ok. The only reason we like C here in Canada is that the numbers are smaller so it's less to type! Plus, we figure that we sound more like scientists when we talk...

Comment

Is that Celsius, or Centigrade?

Comment

well, when I was a kid we called it centigrade - but now they only refer to celcius. It's actually nice when it's below freezing, but I still prefer F when talking above 70 or so. I can "feel" the difference between 78 and 80 F, but not as well between 26 and 27 C.

Comment

Jeff,

I wonder how you can feel the difference between 78 and 80F and not between 26 and 27C, because 2F is about 1C.

Jari

Comment

I can just "know" the difference between 78 and 80 F ...but not the same in C

Comment

Jon,

Have been running your scripts for a few days now without any problems, until today.

I get these errors

01/12/2004 14:00:59~!~Error~!~Script error in file: Speedfan.txt: 53:File not found in line 52
                        01/12/2004 14:00:59~!~Error~!~Script error in file: Speedfan1.txt: 53:File not found in line 52

any ideas?

Lance
                        Lance

Comment

Lance,

Yes, it broke when we changed to the first of December.

Basically the log file adds a leading zero to the date ie SFLog20041201.csv

Because I generate the date to read the log each day, this leading zero was not added hence the file I generated to check was SFLog2004121.csv

This would also happen to the month I expect.

Something I overlooked

Easy Fix:

Find the line:
                          Getday=DatePart("d",date)

Add this underneath this line:
                          If Len(GetDay)="1" then GetDay="0" & Getday

Find the line:
                          Getmonth=Datepart("m",date)

If Len(GetMonth)="1" then GetMonth="0" & Getmonth

I will make these changes later and re-upload.
                          Jon

Comment

cheers Jon, will install later

Couldn't wait till later have done it now and all fixed, thanks
                            Last edited by lancenorton; December 1, 2004, 12:15 PM.
                            Lance

Comment

For those of you who do not want to add the modification yourself, I have uploaded the corrected version in the scripts library.
                              Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon00

Spent all last night pulling hair out trying to find out why it wasnt finding the file. Checked the board today, and here is the answer.

Works great.

Originally posted by jon00
                                Lance,

Yes, it broke when we changed to the first of December.

Basically the log file adds a leading zero to the date ie SFLog20041201.csv

Because I generate the date to read the log each day, this leading zero was not added hence the file I generated to check was SFLog2004121.csv

This would also happen to the month I expect.

Something I overlooked

Easy Fix:

Find the line:
                                Getday=DatePart("d",date)

If Len(GetDay)="1" then GetDay="0" & Getday

Find the line:
                                Getmonth=Datepart("m",date)

If Len(GetMonth)="1" then GetMonth="0" & Getmonth

I will make these changes later and re-upload.

Comment

Working...
                                X