Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noopara
    replied
    Sorry for posting that here and thanks for the link to the discussion about OS tradeoffs. And a Big THANK YOU for your continued support of the HomeSeer application.

Leave a comment:

• jon00
    replied
    My preferred OS would be Windows. HomeSeer was written for Windows and is 100% compatible with all its capabilities. Same goes for all my downloads which all run on Windows.

With Linux, you lose good speech (SAPI, Speaker Client is Windows only), No support for ASP web pages, Port scripting commands are not supported etc.

Running HS on Mono is always a kludge IMO.

That said, Windows is cursed with its incessant updates (which can be tamed).

Always an emotive subject. Look here for more opinions: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ndows-or-linux

(Others, please do not post here about your preferences - post on the forum I linked to!)

Leave a comment:

• noopara
    replied
    Jon, Thanks for the comment about RPi performance. I will keep my production system on something faster. Maybe I will go with one of the Beelink boxes.

What's about Windows vs Linux going forward?

-- greg

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I ordered mine at time of a pre-release directly from Beelink in Dec 2021 and delivered Jan 2022. It was actually GTR5 32G RAM, 500G SSD, W11 for $750. At the time it was the most powerful small footprint unit I could find. I see now, a year later they can be obtained from Amazon Amazon.com: Beelink GTR5 5900HX Ryzen Mini PC, Mini Desktop Computer 8C/16T Max 4.6GHz, AMD Radeon Vega 8, 32GB DDR4 500GB NVMe SSD Small Gaming PC, 4K HDMI, USB-C, WiFi 6, BT5.2, Dual 2.5G Ethernet : Electronics​ for $600. Nice size 6.6 x 4.7 x 1.6 and very quiet.

Leave a comment:

• noopara
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    I ... It is fine to run events, but if there is any User interaction then you will be wanting.
    Mike, Thanks much for that comment. I have been suspicious about the RPi performance. I happen to have a couple of RPi's so I picked up the heavily discounted RPi HS4 license. I will see about maybe using it just for events.

I appreciate the comment too about the Beelink. I've been suspicious about those units too. Where did you get the GR9? It's time I migrated off of the old Atom 2 core box that I have. It's really struggling.

-- greg

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I was running my production HS4 on a RPi 4 with SSD. I got frustrated with responsiveness so moved to Beelink GR9 that came with Windows and have been happy with it. I am not recommending a particular platform or OS, but just trying to confirm Jon00 impression of RPi as a production platform. It is fine to run events, but if there is any User interaction then you will be wanting.

Leave a comment:

• jon00
    replied
    I can't really answer your question because I have not tested them on a RPi. The best you can do is to go to my site to see if they are supported on Linux. Most should be OK but may run slower than your current setup.

I do have a RPi4 running HS4 but compared to my other test systems running HS4, It would not be my choice as my production system. The speed difference is really noticeable.

Leave a comment:

• noopara
    started a topic Do these Plugins Work on RPi

Do these Plugins Work on RPi

Jon,

I am going to move some or maybe all of my system to an RPi using HS4

Do all of these plugins below work on an RPi?

I just discovered your list in your Welcome post on what works on HS3 and HS4. I use a lot of your plugins that don't work on HS4 so I will have to keep my HS3 system going, at least part of it. So I guess the question is what on my list works with HS4 and on a RPi?

Thanks -- greg
    Jon00Alexa.vben
    Jon00AlexaASPX.vben
    Jon00AppControlHS3.vben
    Jon00ASPXLoader.vben
    Jon00DataScraper.vben
    Jon00DataScraperJSON.vben
    Jon00DeviceListASPX.vben
    Jon00DeviceViewerASPX.vben
    Jon00DiskMonHS3.vben
    Jon00DownloadsASPX.vben
    Jon00EventlistASPX.vben