Jon00 IPUpdate for Homeseer 3 & Homeseer 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon00 IPUpdate for Homeseer 3 & Homeseer 4

This script will visit up to 3 locations to obtain your external (WAN) IP address:
    1. Homeseer using its own hs.wanip script command
    2. icanhazip.com
    3. checkip.dyndns.org

Provided all sites are enabled, the script will start at site 1 and work down the list until it receives a valid IP address. Normally the first site checked is sufficient to get the correct IP address. This is then stored in a virtual device.

Each time the script is run, it will check to see if your IP address has changed from that stored in the virtual device.

If a change is detected, then it will embed the new IP address in any number of text-based files (including txt, html, asp, aspx etc) and can either email, FTP or locally copy this file to a specified location. When a text-based file is used for email, the text is read from the file and converted as the message area within the email. It can also be set to send the file as an attachment, if required.

The process works by embedding tags within the original file, which is then replaced with the correct information.

Tags are available for IP address, Current Time, Current Date, Day, Week, Month and Year.

It is very easy to construct a complete web page in htm/html using a normal web page editor. Instead of adding the IP address to the text hyperlink, you just need to add the IP tag.

The script will read each file and if necessary, replace these tags with the current information. A new file with the same name (but updated) is then created & stored in a second directory. This new file is then available to be emailed, FTP’d or copied to a local or network directory by the script.

A virtual device is created showing the current WAN IP Address.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	15.2 KB ID:	1455691
    Please post your comments/suggestions here.

As always, it can be downloaded from my site. Click on my banner below.

(No Banner seen?- check your Forum Settings - User Settings, Account, Tick 'Show Signature')
    Jon

Jon, Works great! Thanks for the wonderful script!

Comment

OK here, too.

Originally posted by d-smes
      Jon, Works great! Thanks for the wonderful script!
      Jon,

Ditto. It took me a few minutes to figure out the directory structure, but, after that, was flawless.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks guys,

With over 30 downloads and no comments, I thought it must be working OK!
        Jon

Comment

Jon,

Just came accross this thread, and if it does what I think it does, then it is one super script. Am I right in saying it is a form of dymanic DNS? For example I pay for a domain and dynamic DNS service, as I dont have a static IP address, (dial up account on ISDN) and with this script I could use a cheaper service like "godaddy.com" to host a small web page that would contain the IP address of my router each time it connects. I could then just click on that link (which would have my IP address embedded in it) and away I go.

If this is correct, then I have to say this is the business and so simple (I dont mean simple in the basic sense but just brillant)

Ted

Comment

Ted,

Yes, you got it in one!

You can even get it to also email the IP address to any number of accounts. If you have something like web mail, you can check this and also link to your router.

My ISP gives me free space with my account. When people go to my Homeseer web server (link below), the page they first see is the one which has been ftp'd with the embedded IP address. As soon as my IP changes, a new page is automatically uploaded with the new IP address!

There used to be quite a few free hosting sites (with advertising) which could be used for your purpose. May be worth a look.
            Jon

Comment

Oh man this is great !! would you believe my current subscription to my dynamic DNS supplier is comming up for renewal, and I have just got myself a nice domain with godaddy.com which is really cheap and allows some hosting.

I will certainly try out this great script.

Again thanks for your dedication and time.

Regards,

Ted

Comment

Cool! You shouldn't have much problem with the script....with 86 downloads from this board and 48 from my site so far, there have been no bug reports or issues to date.
                Jon

Comment

Jon, I think there may be an issue with showmyip.com .

I have the script running, but it was taking 30+ seconds to run. It gave me this error in the log:

Unable to get IP address from http://www.showmyip.com

So I manually typed-on http://www.showmyip.com into my browser, and it took about 30 seconds before anything appeared. When my IP address finally did appear, the address in the bar was no longer showmyip.com, but:

http://www.ippages.com/?showmyipdbce=1040&

It still gives an IP address, and it looks like my device is getting populated, but 30 seconds is not good for a script to be running.

I changed the URL path setting in the ini file to http://www.ippages.com/ and now it appears to execute instantly.

Anyone else seeing this?
                  John
                  Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                  Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                  HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                  Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

John,

You are correct....It looks like showmyip.com is no more and ippages.com is the new name. Although showmyip.com is on re-direct, the XML page is not hence the error. The backup IP lookup is obviously in use here!

What you have done is the correct course of action: In the IPupdate ini:

Change:
                    URLPath="http://www.showmyip.com"

To:
                    URLPath="http://www.ippages.com"

I may need to keep an eye on this...I'm not sure but it looks like they could be allowing only 10 lookups a day without subscription soon. Currently this is now down from 750 to 300 lookups
                    Jon

Comment

showmyip.com is still alive and well, but it took a bit of work over the past couple months to better handle the larger load that it's recent rise in popularity has placed on it...

ippages.com functions as an overload server, but it's primary purpose is to be reserved for subscribers - this is the reason the limits on it's use are lower, and unless you are a subscriber you cannot count on ippages.com being available to you at all.

we do hope to get our Super Dynamic DNS service officially launched sometime soon so that affordable, quality, simple Dynamic DNS can be offered to everyone - there will be no recurring costs for 2 of the 3 subscription types...
                      --
                      Wesley Kenzie
                      WebMaster
                      showmyip.com and ippages.com

Comment

Thanks showmyip!

Jon, can the script be setup to check showmyip.com, then if it does not get and answer within, say, 5 seconds, it goes over to ippages.com.... This essentially would be the same thing that's happening now, but it would be quicker if the script forced the redirect rather then the site (5 seconds vs. 30 seconds).
                        John
                        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                        Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                        HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Thanks Wesley for the update. You must have been Googling to find this post!

You will find that most people here want things for free as most are individuals just wanting to access their Homeseer web server remotely. I am not sure if anyone would subscribe to your service as there are many ways to solve the dynamic IP problem. Thanks for letting us use this for free at the moment.

John, yes it is easy to set the remote timeout for this. It may not be necessary to transfer to ippages.com as I already provide backup via checkip.dyndns.org. That said, I may add a couple more free IP checking sites if the check receives wrong or no information.
                          Jon

Comment

Yes, Google Alert pointed me to your posts. Yes, dynamic DNS can be solved in a number of ways, but our research indicates there is significant demand for an easier and security/privacy safer way to do it, and a one-time $5 or $20 USD subscription cost is well within reason for the range of capabilities we will offer.

But I apologize for being off topic. Looks like you have a good thing going here.

Comment

One more thing I just thought of - I have not seen your script, but did you know you can do any of the following (among many other possibilities):

http://www.showmyip.com/simple/&se=1
                              http://www.showmyip.com/vxml/
                              https://www.ippages.com/simple/&se=1

se=1 is special parameter to "suppress extra" fields of data
                              https is secure SSL access for subscribers
                              vxml is VoiceXML format but essentially gives condensed version of XML results

Comment

Working...
                              X