Jon00 check multiple email & webmail discussion V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon00 check multiple email & webmail discussion V3

Thought I would start a thread on Jon00`s latest V3 version of this script..I believe it is still beta at this time but I have been using it for 3 days and would like to say WOW.

This script is a well polished script, works faultlesly and is a great addin to your HS2 or HS1 setup.

Be warned... theres TONES of options, but using the supplied docs and taking it step by step its soooo configurable you`ll never get to the end of what it can do.

Any problems you may get, cant spot any myself, but Jon, I am sure will help you resolve.. all in all, a fine script WELL DONE Jon00

TrOjAn

I'll chime in here too...

I have been a long time user of Jon's email script and this version is well beyond any expectation I could have ever hoped for... especially for someone giving their hard work away. I have been using it for 24 hours and while Jon is still refining a few things for me, out of the box it is an incredible addition to my system, and may be of particular interest to those using touch screens. I am one of the few surviving Audrey users on this board and the user interface of Jon's script works beautifully on the Audrey.

Jon's attention to detail and continuing effort to always improve his works is to be commended. Not to mention his seemingly tireless ability and patience to continually help out his fellow BB mates.

Cheers, Jon.

Alex

--

Comment

Thanks for the support guys!

Originally posted by jjsmd
      Jon

I have installed your vesion3 beta ( in my HS2 system), and it is quite an impressive job you've done.

I have just begun to learn all the features, and since this is my first experience with my script please bear with me.

I have so far tried to include 3 mailboxes and I have a few questions.

1) the pane on top that shows the headings scrolls down to 34 messages, but how do I get it to scroll down the rest of the emails?

2) Gmail pop accounts require diff ports set up as well as SSL, is that configurable in your script?

Again , great script.

Joe

Joe, if you turn scrolling off, do you see all the messages?

As for the port issue, I will add that later and send you a revised version.
      Jon

Comment

problem with v3

Jon:

Thanks for the reply:

I will try out the port addition when I get home.

Let me try to explain the other problem.

I am using the script against 2 mailboxes.

In mailbox 1 I presently have 14 messages ( 3 read and 11 unread) when I run your script the upper pane has 4 message headers, I can't figure out the reason it got these 4 messages , plus one of the messages does not seem to be in my mailbox) it does not matter if scroll is on or off it just has these 4 messages ( no way to see any other messages) By the way

Similarly in mailbox 2 I presently have about 412 messages but only 34 show up in the upper pane ( and I can't figure out any logic as to which ones show up) and I can't scroll past these 34 .

Joe
        jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

Joe,

This has been seen before in the previous version. All I can think is that there is a rogue character in one of the emails upsetting the listings.

If it is acceptable, could you please email me your EmailReadMB1.txt and EmailReadMB2.txt files found in the Homeseer 2/Config/Email folder. This only stores the information in the lists and not the message.

I can then try it here to see what the problem is.

Thanks,

Jon
          Jon

Comment

Jon

I'm emailing the files you requested.

Hope they help.
            jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

Joe,

That is most strange. There are only 37 items listed in that file. I was hoping that all your mail would be listed.

The amount of mail available is derived by enquiring the mail server to find the quantity and then downloading it. If the script gets a response that 37 emails are on the server then that's all it will download. This is what it seems to be doing.

I will try and email you a modified version of the script that will write in the HS log, what this actual value is. We can then take it from there.
              Jon

Comment

Questions about V3

Jon

All seems to be working OK now.

Just a few questions suggestions:

1) is it possible to use names on the mailbox icons instead of 1,2,3 (hard to keep track of which mailbox is which server)

2) Every time the event to check mail runs the script downloads all the email on the server. If I keep a lot of email on the server this can take quite a bit of time. Is it possible to save the emails locally and just download any new email?

Thanks
                Joe
                jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

Joe,

I assume you don't use a browser that supports tool tips? If you did, placing the mouse on each icon gives the mailbox owner together with the number of emails in that mailbox. If this really is a problem, then I will consider looking at an optional name. The gifs at present are hard-coded with their mailbox number.

The script should only download the email when it detects a change i.e. new mail or deletion of mail. Unless you get a constant flood of emails between script execution, this should not happen. I suspect this is the problem you are experiencing with the re-announcements. Because I left error suppression enabled, you are probably experiencing an error in the script in this area.

I have another beta tester which has a similar problem with this and I am awaiting some data from him to correct the problem. It seems to depend on the mail server 's unique ID for an email that causes this error.

Hopefully, the next version will partly solve your problems in this area.

I have thought about a different database but because the script only reads the mail on the server, it becomes very complex to keep things in sync and the database maintained. It is much easier to fully download when necessary and you have a good clean image of the emails on the server. I do accept it has limitations with a large number of emails on the server.
                  Jon

Comment

Script Error

Jon,

New script has worked great until this morning. Now when I bring up readmail1.ash I get the following error:

Script error: File not found

Set f = fs.OpenTextFile(Path & datafile)

Data = f.Readline

Thanks for your help!!
                    Robert

Comment

Robert,

Take a look to see if the file EmailReadMB1.txt is in the Config/email directory.

This error would occur if it is missing or the file size is 0. Not sure how that could be. If it is there, what is the file size?

For the moment, just delete all files in the Config/email folder apart from your addressbook and signature files and re-run the script.

Jon
                      Jon

Comment

Jon,

This looks great! Thanks for the beta. I installed everything from clean HS2 installation and this beta works fine execpt for one thing... I get

Script error: Invalid procedure call or argument: 'mid' If Mid(Msgfrom,Len(Msgfrom))=" " then MsgFrom=Mid(Msgfrom,1,Len(Msgfrom)-1)
                        If Boundary="" then Boundarystring="Boundary: None detected" else Boundarystring="Boundary:" & boundary

when I run the readmail1.ash page. The event works. It checks the email and even announces. I haven't started troubleshooting yet so I'm pretty sure it may be a typo on my end. Any Suggestions?

Comment

Shad,

I doubt it is anything you have done.

Does the email causing this problem, state who it is from or is this blank or showing unknown?

Does the error happen on all emails that you are trying to view or just the one?
                          Jon

Comment

Jon,

This error occurs when I first load the page readmail1.ash. It wont go any further than that. I don't see any messages at all. I included a printscreen for your review. Hope this helps.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok,

Could you download all mail from your server and then send a test email to yourself. Does it display correctly now?

I will look at the coding but will have to be tomorrow now.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X