Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jon00 - UK caller ID working with Zoom modem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jon00 - UK caller ID working with Zoom modem?

This is a question for jon00, or anyone else with experience of the Zoom 3025 modem in the UK.

After much messing about with the modems I already own I've decided I need to buy another one that *reliably* supports caller ID. I've got an external Zoom modem that works fine with HSP2, but no caller ID, and I've got an external Hayes one that intermittently reports caller ID info, but doesn;t work with HSP2.

From what I've read on the board, the Zoom PCI model 3025 modem does report caller ID. Have you managed to get this to work as the only modem installed i.e. for HSP2 voice and caller ID?

I could live with using 2 modems side by side, but I'd rather not if I don't have to!

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve
    I have Caller ID working reliably with the Zoom modem. I have been working intermittently adding features to the script, and it is now doing what I wanted, although there is always room for improvement!

When I asked for any interest, there seemed to be little so I have not posted it

However you also ask about Homeseer phone, and I dont have that, and currently do not plan get it

Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin, thanks for that. I for one would be interested in your script. I do hope to use HSP2 so that might mean I wouldn't be able to use the same modem for HSP and your script concurrently, but I wouldn't mind having a look anyway!

Anyone else? Anyone got the Zoom modem working with HSP2 (including caller id)?

Have you spotted my other post here: http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...89&m=990100606 regarding handset pickup detection? I don't suppose you could test the Zoom modem to see if it supports it? Seems quite interesting to me - we'd be able to do stuff like automatically mute TV/music when you pick up the phone.

Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

Steve,

As I own a Meteor for CID, I never really did much CID testing for the zoom. That said, the one test that I did try, worked on HSP2 but annoyingly the zoom failed on me right after the test

I decided not to replace but buy a HSP modem which as we all know is currenly out of stock. So the bottom line is that I have no HSP as an answering machine but use it at the moment for CID/address book lookup until new stocks of HS modems arrive.

FYI Meteor CID units also detect off hook.
        Jon

Comment

Good info, thanks. I think I might give it a try and see what happens. If it comes to it I could use my existing external Zoom modem for the voice part of HSP and the internal one for caller ID. It would be nice if one of those did off-hook detection, but I doubt it really. I could connect up a third modem to do it, but that's just getting silly!

I've been shying away from the meteor because of the cost, but when you add up the cost of all these modems it probably makes more sense

If I do give it a try I'll post the results here in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks,
          Steve

Comment

SteveB
            Since this is where the conversation seems to be happening I will post here rather than in the other thread about hookup detection

Dont get your hopes up , it starts off looking good but then fails:-

Ok well the there are 3 models of 3025
            3025C connexant chipset
            3025L Agere chipset
            3025N Agere chipset

Mine is one of the Agere chipset but i dont know at the moment which one.

I know this because it responds OK to AT+FCLASS=8 and ERROR to AT#CLS=8

So I did a quick mod to my script which works ok, except that nothing happens when I pick up the phone

This got a little more complicatred because my modem is on Com5 and Hyperterminal doesnt support ports higher than 4, So I downloaded another terminal program which does support Com5 and turned off the script.

Unfortunately I get the same result when doing it all manually

Sorry

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

Thanks for trying it. I wonder if it's the chipset that makes the difference? Both of the ones I got working had Connexant chipsets - the one that didn't work was Agere. Hmm... wonder if there's any way to tell from the box which chipset is used? Might be time for a trip to PC World I think!

Steve

Comment

Steve

Unfortuantely I no longer have the box it came in so I dont know if it says the model number with suffix on the outside of the box.

Also modems which support UK Caller ID are a rare thing so there is no certainty that the connexant chipset model supports it.

However since it says on the box "supports caller ID", I would say try and find a connexant model, buy it, try it and if doesnt work take it back for a refund

Kevin

Comment

Right then. One trip to PC World later and I'm the proud owner of a Zoom 3025 modem. Cost was £19.99. It's a 3025C, so has the Conexant chipset. It seems my understanding of the Conexant/Agere AT codes wasn't quite right though because it responds to the "+" format commands and not the "#" format. This lead me to investigate the conexant.txt and agere.txt files supplied with HSP2, which is where I originally started looking at the command formats. Bizarrely the comments at the top of BOTH files say they're for the conexant chipset and have been tested with the Homeseer PCI modem. I'm guessing that's just because someone forgot to edit the comments. They both use the "+" format AT commands, which explains why my Hayes modem (using "#" format) doesn't work with HSP.

Anyway, caller ID works perfectly and seems to be MUCH more reliable than with the Hayes Accura (the only other one to do CID at all, albeit intermittently).

I've got the same problem that others have reported, in that I can't hear HSP speaking when I dial in, although I did hear a "ding.wav" (don't know where that came from!), meaning that the wave device is definitely working. Also I can leave a message, which HSP records and replays correctly.

At the moment I've got it set up using two modems - an external Zoom 3049L for HSP2 to use for voice stuff, and the Zoom 3025C for caller ID using a couple of simple scripts. All works well, although it would be better if I could get the 3025 to handle voice stuff as well to eliminate one of the modems. I might have a look at the command files if I get the time.

Neither the 3025C or 3049L support off-hook detection as far as I can tell, but the Hayes Accura does, so if I want this feature as well I might end up with a ridiculous 3 modems attached to the same PC. Still - at the moment I'm just pleased that I've finally got caller ID working!

Kevin I'd be very interested in your script - is it posted somewhere on the board?

Cheers,
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X