Restarting Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W2K is the key!

I did a search on the Internet. There are loads of posted issues with the VB.NET command I use to start Homeseer when used under W2K. I'll have to re-visit this to find a solution.
    Jon

Comment

Ah... ok!

I thought it would be something like that... ! (that's good for my ego... )

Joel

Comment

Joel,

I've made a very small change to the file. As I do not have a W2K system, could you give this a try and let me know if it now works or continues to error.

Thanks,

(New version now posted at top of thread).
        Last edited by jon00; April 12, 2008, 07:09 AM.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
          Joel,

I've made a very small change to the file. As I do not have a W2K system, could you give this a try and let me know if it now works or continues to error.

Thanks,
          HeHe you're the man
          Works perfectly now !

Thanks. This program will come in very handy !

Joel

Comment

Cool!

I've now replaced the original with the new one.
            Jon

Comment

Restart stops with .net error

Every day now I have to close the restart.

I have loaded the version from April 2008 but it didn't seem to help.

Anybody else having this problem and found a solution?

Running XP SP2.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Was this working before or has it never worked?

What is the error and what OS are you running HS on?
                Jon

Comment

This was working very reliably every night. No problems.

Then recently, it started acting up. It stays up and I get a copy of Internet Explorer running that says I have had a .net error. I clear the Explorer window, close the Jonrestart by clicking the X of that window, restart the pc and it restarts and brings up HS normally.

I am running XP Pro SP2, have not gone 3. Haven't loaded any updates in quite some time as too busy at work.

I will have to capture errors next time it occurs. Usually it's 6am and I am rushing to get ready for work so I don't stop to collect info.

If there's a remnant of info or a log file that I can send you that persists, let me know where to find it and I can send that.

Thanks for the assist.

Comment

There is nothing much to the exe so I'm surprised that it is causing an error. Post the error message when you have time.
                    Jon

Comment

I get a message of a file not found.

Here's the text from the error box.

========================================================
                      Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The system cannot find the file specified.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
                      just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
                      System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
                      at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessSt artInfo startInfo)
                      at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
                      at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
                      at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(String fileName)
                      at WindowsApplication2.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                      at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(M essage& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
                      at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
                      mscorlib
                      Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
                      Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
                      CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
                      ----------------------------------------
                      Jon00RestartHS
                      Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
                      Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
                      CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HomeSeer%202/Jon00RestartHS.exe
                      Microsoft.VisualBasic
                      Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
                      Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
                      CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
                      System
                      CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
                      System.Windows.Forms
                      CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
                      System.Drawing
                      CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
                      System.Runtime.Remoting
                      CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
                      To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
                      application or computer (machine.config) must have the
                      jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
                      The application must also be compiled with debugging
                      enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
                      <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
                      </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
                      will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
                      rather than be handled by this dialog box.

========================================================

Comment

Long shot, but, have you tried repairing NET?

Having said that I installed a SP for NET and ever since then the repair facility has gone.

Went to do a repair, no way. So simply unistalled and re-installed.

Did not cure my specific problem though.

Anyway, just a thought, as there is a reference to NET in your last post.
                        sigpic
                        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I will give that a try and let you know. Thanks for the tip.

SteveP

Comment

Steve,

Odd...

When this error occurs, has Homeseer already been closed or is it still running?

Do you also have the "X" closes Homeseer ticked?

Finally do you have shutdown.exe in your Windows/system32 directory?
                            Jon

Comment

>When this error occurs, has Homeseer already been closed or is it still running?

HS is closed. The small bar of Jonrestart is up. That's it.

>Do you also have the "X" closes Homeseer ticked?
                              Yes.

>Finally do you have shutdown.exe in your Windows/system32 directory?
                              Yes.

I ran two nights Ok. The third night got a failure with file not found again.

==========================================

at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessSt artInfo startInfo)
                              at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
                              Jon00RestartHS
                              Microsoft.VisualBasic
                              CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
                              System.Windows.Forms
                              CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
                              System
                              CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
                              System.Drawing
                              CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
                              System.Runtime.Remoting
                              CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

Comment

I did notice this morning that when I click continue in the error message box, then the jonrestart window bar shows on the screen. Homeseer is closed though before the error.

=============================================

mscorlib
                                Jon00RestartHS
                                Microsoft.VisualBasic
                                System.Windows.Forms
                                System
                                System.Drawing
                                System.Runtime.Remoting

************** JIT Debugging **************
                                To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
                                application or computer (machine.config) must have the
                                jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
                                The application must also be compiled with debugging
                                enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
                                <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
                                </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
                                will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
                                rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Comment

Working...
                                X