Restarting Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restarting Homeseer

There have been a few requests recently of how to restart Homeseer.

Attached is an exe file I wrote for my performance monitoring script which you can run independently to restart Homeseer. It can be launched from a script, event or any other method that can run the exe from your Homeseer server/PC.

Just place Jon00HSRestart.exe in your Homeseer 2 folder.

Once run it will try to shutdown Homeseer gracefully. If this fails it will then try and force Homeseer to shutdown. Again if this fails it will reboot the PC.

There are no external command parameters with this application.

PLEASE NOTE: To enable a graceful shutdown of Homeseer, you must make sure that the "X" closes Homeseer is ticked. This can be found on the Homeseer 2 GUI interface under edit.

THIS WILL NOT WORK FOR HOMESEER USERS RUNNING AS A SERVICE.

Please note that usage is at your own risk.

You can also take a look at my Homeseer Application/Process control package which allows you to safely shutdown applications/processes and PC. This is available on my website.

++++ Update April 12th 2008 ++++

New version uploaded so that it now works correctly with Homeseer systems running on Windows 2000
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jon00; April 12, 2008, 07:07 AM.
    Jon

I used to use Safe Restart, but when I switched to my HomeTroller the Safe Restart would no longer work. While HS was shutting down the plugin would attempt a restart and then I'd get an error box saying 'HS is already running'.

I don't know how they were looking to see if HS was running, but your Restart program has been running just fine for my nightly restarts.

Thanks Jon,
    Bill

~Bill

Comment

Glad it's working!

I've written it so it will never try to restart Homeseer unless it sees that the application is not running.
      Jon

Comment

And Safe Restart used to.

It must be based on a less reliable method of triggering or determining HS has shut down.

But, if it was not clear enough, I am very thankful I found your solution.

Peace!

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
          Glad it's working!

I've written it so it will never try to restart Homeseer unless it sees that the application is not running.
          Erm Jon. does this supersede "Heart Beet"?
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

No Gogs... it's just a means to restart Homeseer.
            Jon

Comment

I have received an error several times on HSRestart.

I attached the screen image and text. This errors causes my HS2 not to restart. There is a small window (just the title bar) of jon00restarths I believe still on the screen.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure why that would happen. What exactly happens when you run it?

Just to check that you do have it in the same directory as Homeseer.exe?
                Jon

Comment

Yep.

Could something like a web page pointing at the devices and having autorefresh on cause an issue? Sometimes I forget to close Iexplore on HS server before I go to bed.

Comment

Jon,

Just been trying this today and I get exactly the same error etc.
                    Calling it from a DOS batch file if that helps

Cheers
                    Kevin

Comment

Have you moved it out of the homeseer 2 directory?
                      Jon

Comment

Have you moved it out of the homeseer 2 directory?
                        Nope - It's in C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2

Comment

This is odd. Does it work if you run it from an event?
                          Jon

Comment

Had a bit of a play and it seems that the error only occurs when it's run with an explicit path e.g.

"C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2\Jon00RestartHS.exe"

If change to the directory first and then run it it's fine e.g.

cd program files
                            cd homeseer 2
                            Jon00RestartHS.exe

Odd - Now I've got it working I find it doesn't seem to do what I wanted
                            Is there a way to gracefully shutdown HS without restarting ? I'm trying to build a batch file to close everything then reboot. HS automatically starts on reboot and I use startup.txt to launch MLServer etc.

I'll have a look at your Homeseer Application/Process control package when the missus lets me back online

Comment

Originally posted by kw1816 View Post
                              .......................Is there a way to gracefully shutdown HS without restarting ? I'm trying to build a batch file to close everything then reboot.
                              I used to use an exe called SafeRestart. I tried a search on this board but could not find it, so I have no idea where I got it!
                              sigpic
                              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
                              X