LogSearch script, what am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LogSearch script, what am I missing?

I am trying out the logsearch script and I will be darned if I can figure out how to find instances of the word Jessie in the log. If you look at the log snippet below you can see it occurs in several places. I somehow once got it to come up with a search but I can't replicate that. I have tired editing the ini file and making JESSIE a log type, and various other methods, but everything keeps coming back as no data. I can search other things in the log but not this. I am sure I will slap my head when I hear the answer, but for now I am stumped.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Msekelsky; January 21, 2008, 01:46 PM.

I think you forgot to add the snippet.
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      I think you forgot to add the snippet.
      Which just goes to show how dense I am. Added now.

Comment

Mark,

I just got Homeseer to speak the sentence "Hello Jessie ,how are you" and it found it with no problems. I don't really understand what is going wrong. If you want to zip up your log for today and email it to me, I will load it here and give it a try.
        Jon

Comment

I was getting ready to do the email, but I think I may have discovered the problem. Is the script looking at the Homeseer1.log in the root of the Homeseer folder or is ti looking in the log files within the logs folder? I have HS options set to "prune" the log and none of my "Jessie" statements exist in the log files within the Logs folder. I am thinking the script is reading these and I have been pruning it out.

Comment

Mark,

Can you post the 3 settings for your logging from the setup page i.e. Log File, Number of days to keep and store logs in Logs directory.

Also open up Settings.ini (found in the config directory) in a text editor. Find the two values called LogDir=XXXXXX and gLogName=XXXXXX

What is the values of the XXXXXX for each?
            Jon

Comment

Mark,

Can you post the 3 settings for your logging from the setup page i.e. Log File, Number of days to keep and store logs in Logs directory.

Also open up Settings.ini (found in the config directory) in a text editor. Find the two values called LogDir=XXXXXX and gLogName=XXXXXX

What is the values of the XXXXXX for each?
              Screenshot of my log setup in HS below. Pruning *was* set to Y, but I changed that to N earlier today. From the settings.ini file:

gLogName=HomeSeer.LOG
              gLogPrune=False
              gLogDir=True
              gLogPruneDays=8

I was not aware that I needed to manually trim/delete the homeseer.log file (I've been looking stuff up now) and that sucker is nearly 100 megs big. Hmm... I just looked again and while it is that big the name is homeseer1.log. Is that right?
              Attached Files

Comment

Mark,

I'm not sure what is going on but it should be logging to the Homerseer.log.

Set pruning to yes and shutdown Homeseer. Delete Homeseer1.log and Homeseer.log, restart and leave it till tomorrow. Hopefully it will be all OK.
                Jon

Comment

Mark,

I'm not sure what is going on but it should be logging to the Homerseer.log.

Set pruning to yes and shutdown Homeseer. Delete Homeseer1.log and Homeseer.log, restart and leave it till tomorrow. Hopefully it will be all OK.
                  I was just debating doing that when I got the email that you posted. All gone now, we'll see tomorrow.

Comment

Very strange. I was about to post something in the more generic HS forum about this, but it looks like Whois *might8 be involved. After deleting everything yesterday I verified that I could search for "jessie" in the new log being generated yesterday with no problem. But now that yesterday's log is archived, it is tripped of almost all entries again.

I keep 8 days worth of logs. With the exception of one day every log only shows from 11:21 PM to midnight and the first line in the log is:

1/17/2008 11:21:06 PM~!~Whois~!~Log deleted

Obviously the date is different in each log. In the one day where there is more data (but still pretty stripped) I have the same Whois entry, but the time is 5:21:06 PM.

There is a Homeseer.log file in my logs folder for today. In that log the data from midnight to 2:21:06 AM is already gone. First line is the Whois line.

My main log (in the HS root) is still Homeseer1.log (and has all data since my deletion).

Whois ini:

[Settings]

UpdateDevices="0"
                    HouseLetter="Q"
                    GuestAccessHouseNumber="1"
                    FailedAccessHouseNumber="2"
                    AuthorizedAccessHouseNumber="3"
                    ShowAllEntries="0"
                    UseHelperScript="1"
                    Homeseer1logPath="\ah.log"
                    Homeseer2logPath="\Logs\Homeseer.log"
                    AltHomeseer1logPath="\ah1.log"
                    AltHomeseer2logPath="\Homeseer1.log"
                    ParsedLogPath="\whoisvisits.log"
                    AltParsedLogPath="\whoisvisits1.log"
                    WhoisCSVPath="\whois.csv"

[ASP]
                    DateSeparator="/"
                    DisplayDefaultLength="60"
                    DisplaySearchLength="200"
                    AllowGuestAuthorizedView="1"
                    AllowGuestFailedView="1"
                    AllowGuestGuestView="1"
                    AllowGuestSearch="1"
                    AllowGuestWhoisSearch="1"
                    ShowTimeDate="1"
                    ShowIP="1"
                    Showinfo="1"
                    ShowIPLink="1"
                    ShowAccess="1"
                    ShowAccessUser="1"
                    ShowVisits="1"
                    ShowOrgName="1"
                    ShowOrgID="1"
                    ShowAddress1="1"
                    ShowAddress2="1"
                    ShowAddress3="1"
                    ShowStateProv="1"
                    ShowPostalCode="1"
                    ShowCountry="1"
                    ShowFullCountry="1"
                    FailedColor="#FF0000"
                    AuthorizedColor="#00FF00"
                    GuestColor="#99ccff"
                    MaxCharName=25
                    MaxCharID=25
                    MaxCharAddress1="20"
                    MaxCharAddress2="20"
                    MaxCharAddress3="20"
                    MaxCharFullCountry="20"
                    DateFormatMMDDYY="0"
                    Runscriptsfirst="1"

[SkipIP1]
                    IPAddress=""

[SkipIP2]
                    IPAddress=""

Comment

Mark,

Ahh.. things are getting clearer.

It looks like you are running the HS1 version of Whois on HS2. Please download the HS2 version from my site.
                      Jon

Comment

I'll give that a shot when I get home. Thanks for all the quick responses. BTW, using the ini file (or I guess editing the .aspx) can I default anything (say the sort order) for the script?

Comment

You can only sort in ascending or decending (date/time) order from the drop down at the top. What were you looking for?
                          Jon

Comment

You can only sort in ascending or decending (date/time) order from the drop down at the top. What were you looking for?
                            First, the HS 2 version of Whois fixed everything, thanks! What I meant by defaults is I think the script defaults to ascending, but if I wanted it to be descending everytime could I do that or do I always use the dropdown. Not a big deal one way or the other.

Comment

Mark,

I'm at work but from memory I think there is a setting called sorttype in the ini. Changing this to 1 or 0 should reverse the order.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X