No announcement yet.

Touch screens and where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zimmer, i'm about half hour east of you, and would love to check out your setup sometime. i'm researching touchscreens now and will be putting several in (master bedroom, master bath, foyer, office, game room) shortly.

jim

Comment

Rotech,

I am not sure how your palm would wok with Jon's pages as I use an alternative solution. I am sure Jon can handle that one.

I am not a huge fan of the Airpanels for a couple of reasons. 1. The need for RDP. This has many limitations, especialy in regard to streaming video and animations. 2. My Airpanles seem to have a hard time staying connected to the wieless network, so I seem to be rebooting them all the time.

The Fujitsu's I have do not have built in wireless, but adding a simple PCMCIA Cardbus card solves that problem. (Many on e-bay come with the card) If you go with a Fujitsu I would reccomend trying to get one pre-loaded with Windows2000. I have found that OS to be more reliable then the Fujitsu's running Win98. Also look for one with the most memory possible. Be sure your Fujitsu comes with the original COA.

Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

Dave

Iam wathing one on ebay for $40.00 bucks plus shipping, it has 192mb memory is that enougth? do you have yours on the walls?
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I have 1 3500 mounted to a wall. I use thick velcro pads on the back that provide space behind the panel for air flow.
          My 3400 is in picture frame stand on a desk.

192MB will most likely get you by, depending on what you plan to do... As with Pizza and Money... more is always beter.

Thanks,
          Dave

Comment

I just did a quick search and it looks like the 3400 only supports a max of 192MB... so... that would have to work.

I have a 3400 running Win98 and it is able to run my touchscreen app... so I am sure that should be more then enough RAM to run Jon's pages.

- Dave

Comment

OK Enough of the Crap.

I would like a nice 800X600 touchscreen, if larger are available Ill go for that.

Are they available at a resonable price?

Simple Question, there are anough HS users out there throught the world.
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

"reasonable" is in the eyes of the beholder.

I converted a 15" LCD to a touchscreen by ordering a glass touchscreen conversion kit from ebay. It was about $115 if I remember correctly.

The 19" touchscreen 1280x1024 I found on ebay as well for a really good deal of $225, it was a pull from a slot machine or something. I have this one mounted in the wall, and trimmed out to look like a picture hanging on the wall.

The 7" touchscreen is only 640x480 and I think was around $200. The low resolution does seem to be a problem from time to time. I'll be looking to replace that some day with a higher res screen.

I'd say I paid a reasonable price for all of mine.
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by dhanford View Post
                  I just did a quick search and it looks like the 3400 only supports a max of 192MB... so... that would have to work.

I have a 3400 running Win98 and it is able to run my touchscreen app... so I am sure that should be more then enough RAM to run Jon's pages.

- Dave
                  Dave Had you ever had sirous problems with the fujitsu? are they user friendly?
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I have not had any serious problems.
                    My 3400 does not really hold a charge, but I leave it plugged in all the time so that is not an issue.

I had a 3400 in the past that would reboot randomly, but that appeared to be specific to that tablet.

I have also seen a few Fujitsu's that start to become less sensitive to touch over time, or require a great deal of pressure to activate. If this happens you can always add a small wireless USB mouse near by. (not great for carying around, but fine when stationary).

Thanks,
                    Dave

Comment

I have a 3400 and find it's quality to be very good. The touch on mine is flawless!

Comment

MUch much would you pay for a used 3400?
                        Hector
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                        X