How to use the email?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use the email?

Hey guys - sorry for the "trivial" question but I cannot find any references for how to use Jon00's email script.

I had this working about a year ago but then stopped my HomeSeer project and recently started it up again but I lost all of my old scripts.

I had the script set up such that it would check for email and if any emails were received from a particular email address, it would parse the subject for specific "commands". Based on these commands, events would be triggered (such as turning lights on or off).

I recall this wasn't difficult, but the reference materials weren't easy to find. Can anyone help? Maybe Jon or someone else can post the valid command syntax when using the script. Also, do I need to set something which tells Homeseer to check for emails every so often for this purpose? I do remember we need to have the "check email" checkbox set to "no" in the Homeseer setup.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

I'm getting mixed messages from your post.

Do you currently have my email package installed and working correctly or are you trying to just use Homeseer's built-in email functionality and want to script using that?
    Jon

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Jon. Yes, I have and would like to configure your email package. I've done it before but I don't recall how to get it working to do the things I mentioned (process and take action off of specific text matches on incoming emails from specific email addresses).

Thanks!

Comment

You can trigger on email addresses, on subject string but not both. You can also trigger on a password protected subject line. Does it need to be from a specific email address if the strings are different?
        Jon

Comment

I was only looking to say "from a specific sender" for security purposes (better, IMO, than a password in a subject line). The most important piece is that I need to be able to send "commands" via the subject line or message body and need to have some type of "authentication".

Moreso, I can't recall how to even start processing incoming emails. I just don't remember the setup mechanism for your script (in other words, what do I need to click on to get your script to check emails and subsequently process them based on text in those emails).

Thanks!

Comment

I'm just about to retire for the night but the installer will create a recurring event called Jon00s Check email to run the script.

Also look in your HTML/email/checkpop_readme.htm for full instructions.
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by yeahprolly View Post
              Sorry for the confusion Jon. Yes, I have and would like to configure your email package. I've done it before but I don't recall how to get it working to do the things I mentioned (process and take action off of specific text matches on incoming emails from specific email addresses).

Thanks!

V3.0.27 now provides this functionality: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...&postcount=561
              Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon - I'll look at this now. Also, do you know if it's possible to parse the incoming subject or message body and grab settings for variables?

For example, I'd like to be able to send the following command via subject or message body:

set heat 68

I'll be matching the "set heat" part and then I'd like to send the "68" as a variable value into another script to set the thermostat temp. Right now, the only way I can think of doing it is to configure a different "match" for each value. In other words, "set heat 68" calls one script while "set heat 70" calls another script.

This gets pretty messy quickly, so I'd like to be able to pass the "68" value to another script. Can this be done today?

Thanks!

Comment

Wow, you added this functionality just because I asked for it? I am both floored and honored! Thank you!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X