PerfMon Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PerfMon Error

Jon, I've been running your script for over a year without issue. Today I have found some errors in my log.

7/4/2009 10:29:33 AM Jon00_Perf Error within Sub CreateVD processing System CPU Usage at block 6 (Conversion from string "0bytes" to type 'Double' is not valid.)
    7/4/2009 10:29:33 AM Jon00_Perf Error within Sub CreateVD processing System CPU Usage at block 7 (Conversion from string "0bytes" to type 'Double' is not valid.)

This error occurs each time the script is executed. ?? I have tried restarting HS and rebooting the PC. Neither resolved the issue.
    Larry

I'm not sure. You may have a corrupt database.

Delete the virtual device for the System CPU and let it re-create the device again. See if that stops the error.
    Jon

Comment

Devices where deleted and recreated by the script. The log errors persist. The devices are all updating & graphs are accurate. The errrors are only a nuisance.
      Larry

Comment

Have you installed anything else on your HS PC around the same time when these errors started?
        Jon

Comment

Nothing new installed. The error first occurred 5:35AM on July 4th. I was out of town at the time. Immediately prior this first time error I found this: Error within Sub Main at block 3 (Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.) I have not seen this error since but Erro withinSub CreateVD persists.

I have attached a log.
          Attached Files
          Larry

Comment

Wow, what a mess!

I really do not think it has anything to do with the script. As there are numerous counter readings which show an error, I would say this indicates an issue with the Windows Performance counters providing corrupt readings.

My only thought is that something has corrupted the windows counters in the registry. As I'm unsure of your OS, Google "repairing windows performance counters" or similar to see if that will help. One article I read suggests that a service pack install can cause this. I'm wondering if you have Windows update on and set to the default 3:00am?
            Jon

Comment

Yes... it is a mess. Automatic updates off. I manually updated 6/13/09. My system counter info seems to be OK when viewing with ProcessExplorer. These are the same system counters that your script would be using?? I am looking at a couple of fixes, both invole registery editing.
              Larry

Comment

Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
                ... My system counter info seems to be OK when viewing with ProcessExplorer. These are the same system counters that your script would be using??
                I really don't know. ProcessExplorer is under M$ control so they may hook directly in to the OS.
                Jon

Comment

Jon,

I finally got around to upgrading my PerfMon stuff. Not sure what version I was running (the script was dated 2007, and was less than half the size of the new one!). Here's the steps I went through:
                  1. Disabled the recurring event
                  2. Renamed my old Jon00PerfMon.ini file just in case I needed it
                  3. Deleted all the existing perf mon devices
                  4. Copied over the new VBEN, INI, and required html files
                  5. Edited Jon00PerfMon.ini to use the right house / unit code starting point
                  6. Re-enabled the recurring event
                  I'm posting this here because I'm getting the same error others did long some 2+ years ago:

Error within Sub CreateVD processing Processes Count at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing Homeseer Handles at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing Homeseer Modules at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing Homeseer Threads at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing Homeseer Virtual Address Space at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing Homeseer Virtual Memory at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing Homeseer Process Working Set at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing Homeseer CPU Usage at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing System CPU Core 1 at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing System CPU Core 0 at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing System CPU Usage at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing System Virtual Memory at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing System Physical Memory Available at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)
                  Error within Sub CreateVD processing System Committed Memory at block 5 (Attempted to divide by zero.)

Any idea what is wrong?

I will admit that I at first did the lazy thing: dropped in the new script in place of the old one before reading the docs. These errors happened then, so I disabled the event and went to read the docs....

I'll try and reboot and see what happens, but I'm hoping I don't have to fall back to the old version.

Steve

Comment

UPDATE: Restarting HS seems to have eliminated the error. My bad. Thanks Jon!

Steve

Comment

Actually I don't think it was anything to do with a reboot. There may be a mathematical value obtained from the ini file that I did not set internally if that entry was missing. When I get time I'll take a look.
                      Jon

Comment

Hi

I've just put the PerfMon on my system to try and get to the bottom of my random crashes. It is a great script, many thanks Jon!

I had the divide by zero issue after installing PerfMon but rebooting HS stopped the problem too.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X