This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone Pairing

Thanks! I had actually ordered a bunch of dongles a few months ago with the intention of trying this, and one of them worked great. Now I am trying to configure this to work with iPhones.

I have a dongle with the M$ BT stack. I am running the most recent Jon00blue client. I attempted to pair it with my iPhone 4. At first blush it appears to pair; however, when I look on the iPhone it seems like it never finishes pairing after entering the 0000. After a while it give a message saying that the "HOMESEER" device in incompatible.

As I understand it, the only way for the iphone to work is for it to be paired. Otherwise it will only ever be discovered when it is powered up from sleep--which requires user intervention.

I will say that I leave BT on all the time on the phone, and it connects with handsfree in my cars perfectly every time.

So with that in mind, perhaps the client needs to present a specific BT profile in order for the pairing to finish?

Have any other iphone users figured this out? I see mention earlier in the thread that some have; however, is that just the device discovery like I have now only when the iPhone screen is on? Or are you reliably able to have the virtual device associated with the iphone correctly display home/away in homeseer even when iphone is asleep in pocket?

Sorry for the long post--trying to figure this out to get it working in a useful way.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

I cannot really comment as I do not own a iPhone. That said, there have been several postings with people claiming to pair their iPhone successfully with the BT client.

Hopefully someone with an iPhone will pass comment.
      Jon

Comment

When you added pairing to the client, did you have to tell the client to attempt to pair a specific bluetooth profile?

As I mentioned, your client says that it is paired with the iPhone. The iphone also says that it paired--but then sometimes it gives that error I mentioned and gives me only the option to "forget this device"

It really is a great script, but with the iPhone, it is just not updating away/home status correctly for me.

Does anyone with iPhone have this updating away/home reliably? It would be nice to hear from some iPhone users either way.

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

The pairing is generic but I did set the pairing code to 0000. I have no other control over this due to the BT library being used. Lots of people are using this so it's strange you are having these issues.

Delete the settings.txt file on the client and let it recreate it. Then try pairing again.
          Jon

Comment

Well it does work. There is a high degree of probability that what I am experiencing is exactly what others with iPhones have experienced. Saying it works is not really that descriptive.

This is why I am focused on the desired result, ie, having the away/home status of the virtual devices display accurately specifically when the iphone screen is off.

Is there anything that I can do that would assist with achieving the desired result for iPhone users? Any data that I can collect that might be useful?

Comment

How about turning this around. Can you get hold of another BT phone and see if that pairs correctly. That will prove if the hardware is working OK.
              Jon

Comment

That was a good idea. I checked it with a third phone--leaving both it and an iphone next to the dongle. Both were detected for several hours, and status was never reported as away.

So there is nothing to be done with software--it is evidently already perfected!

So now I ask if anyone has had success getting more range out of these cheap ebay dongles by adding wifi antennas?
                Last edited by jlrichar; December 8, 2010, 12:03 AM. Reason: add information

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                  So now I ask if anyone has had success getting more range out of these cheap ebay dongles by adding wifi antennas?
                  Did you see this post?
                  Jon

Comment

Follow up on results

I like that your script shows when the dongle is missing. What was happening was the first dongle I tried (I ordered 3 different ones from ebay) worked for ~2 hours or so, and then froze up. So it was a combination of poor range, and a bad dongle that resulted in my observations mentioned earlier. I am trying with dongle 2 right now. Hopefully it was simply a bad dongle 1, and 2 will be reliable.

I did notice one peculiarity on the asp page you made for logging. It seems to default to day/month/year for the selection drop downs even though it shows the US convention month/day/year. When I select based on month/day/year it works. But just adding keyword and hitting submit causes trouble because the default has month/day transposed.

Its a small thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                      Did you see this post?
                      I was planning on attempting something along these lines.

I would like to try to solder a u.fl male connector directly to the dongle board, then use a u.fl to rp-sma connector to connect to an old 2.4ghz wifi antenna I have. If it works then I will put it in a nice box with a usb extension, and have an inexpensive aircable xr3.

If it does not work, then that is what I will aspire to purchase. I ordered the u.fl connectors from rfmall.com, and the u.fl to rp-sma from ebay.

I will know more in a few weeks. I expect it will be extremely difficult to solder the u.fl because it is so small.

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                        I did notice one peculiarity on the asp page you made for logging. It seems to default to day/month/year for the selection drop downs even though it shows the US convention month/day/year. When I select based on month/day/year it works. But just adding keyword and hitting submit causes trouble because the default has month/day transposed.

Its a small thing.
                        My bad....I wrote it quickly for someone else in the UK. I'll add an entry to the ini file to select the date format.
                        Jon

Comment

V1.06.1 released

I updated the log page to allow DDMMYY and MMDDYY date formats.

There are no other changes.

Please note that there is a new entry in the ini file under [Logpage]:

dateformat=1

Set this to 1 to use the MMDDYY format or 0 for DDMMYY

If you already use the DDMMYY format, there is no need to re-download at this time.
                          Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

I currently upgraded my HS system to Windows 7 x64 and have hit an snag: the polling script is looking for the Jon00Blue folder in "c:\program files" and since in my case this is "c:\program files (x86)" I get a "Cannot access client bluetooth file" message.
                            Do you have a .vben script for this kind of set-up ?

Alex

Comment

You can place the client in any location you wish. Just change the Path(s) under [Discovery] in the Jon00Bluetooth.ini to point to the correct directory.
                              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                                You can place the client in any location you wish. Just change the Path(s) under [Discovery] in the Jon00Bluetooth.ini to point to the correct directory.
                                Duh.... less beer and more sleep would do wonders for me..... thanks Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X