This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon00 Bluetooth Package SPOT ON!!

So I get this message last night, want to try my new Bluetooth script? Too right Jon00!!

Installed in about 1 minute and running getting info in 2 minutes..

Jon00 Has decided to NOT Re Invent the wheel on this one and has used a xAp client type thing, what this means to those interested in Bluetooth is that you can now use MULTIPLE Bluetooth Dongles on ANY networked PC.

This allows a RELIABLE way of monitoring what phones are in the vicinity as I can now use as many BT dongles on as many PC`s as I want, in my case 4, 1 in the loft (HS pc) 1 on the kitchen touchscreen 1 on the girls PC in the bedroom and a last one in the shed on the laptop... at last, Bluetooth complete coverage without all the dropouts.

Well done Jon, this is another BEST package you have done, you never fail to amaze me with your thinking and coding and again... FREE!!

Thanks, and I do mean THANKS,

TrOjAn

Forgot to say... AVAILABLE NOW FROM Jon00s SITE
    Last edited by TrOjAn; July 8, 2009, 03:12 PM. Reason: Added Info

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post
    you never fail to amaze me with your thinking and coding and again... FREE!!
    FREE! What, you have never thought of reimbursing the poor chap, of course you have.

I must admit, I do like the way Jon goes for donations rather than the "this is what it costs" approach, and thank goodness he does not use the updater!
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

V1.01 is now available!

Thanks TrOjAn for your enthusiastic post! .... perhaps I better employ you as my PR manager?

Anyway version 1.01 is now available:

Bluetooth Devices in the Discovery Virtual Device are now sorted by time/date
      You can now run a script in addition to events using parameters to determine home/away.
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        Thanks TrOjAn for your enthusiastic post! .... perhaps I better employ you as my PR manager?

Anyway version 1.01 is now available:

Bluetooth Devices in the Discovery Virtual Device are now sorted by time/date
        You can now run a script in addition to events using parameters to determine home/away.
        Hahaha, you couldnt afford me!! LOL

I now have 3 dongles on the house network but am waiting on a delivery of 4 x 150 mtr dongles.. then I can set up a really reliable "whos in and whos not" system..

This is really a great package, I bet your downloads have gone mental ?? Cant wait to hear from others what they think / are doing with it..

TrOjAn

Comment

Jon
          Does the detection of the remote bluetooth device depend on there being a iteracting device on the remote end or would just a external powered PC BT dongle be detected without a computer connected to it? Like put one in car and just power it.

Comment

A dongle on it's own just powered would not work IMO as it needs software to drive it.

Many things could be used for detection inc Bluetooth headsets etc, however the disadvantage is that they normally turn off after a period of time if they are not paired. Mobile/Cell phones work great (apart from the iPhone).

Pairing is not required as the client just sniffs for Bluetooth packets.
            Jon

Comment

A dongle on it's own just powered would not work IMO as it needs software to drive it.....
              Pitty, I am looking at ways to use this to detect the cars presence rather than using a mobile phone.

Currently I use a motion sensor in the car, but as the events/script relies on receiving the off to confirm the car is still here it is not reliable.
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Would this work with Iphones?

I don't have any BT dongles right now but would happily buy a few if i knew it would work.

Thanks
                Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Originally posted by neiltimms View Post
                  Would this work with Iphones?

I don't have any BT dongles right now but would happily buy a few if i knew it would work.

Thanks
                  It will not work. Because the battery life of the iPhone is poor, you cannot keep bluetooth switched on permanently.
                  Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post
                    This is really a great package, I bet your downloads have gone mental ?? Cant wait to hear from others what they think / are doing with it..

TrOjAn
                    I've had 27 downloads so far.

I would be interested from a response from someone in the USA who has everything working correctly. I've had one user with problems and I'm wondering if it is a date format issue.
                    Jon

Comment

Jon,

Wondering if you can riddle me this;

1) BT Dongle installed and using native windows drivers
                      2) Searches and finds my phone (Nokia N95) and I pair them together
                      3) Shows up in Blue with the ID number after searching and my phone name
                      4) All read nicely using your script into HS.

However, last night I took my phone to work (3miles away) and it carried on reading the phone like it was in the house, if I turn the bluetooth off it still carries on thinking its there also.

Bit confused with whats really wrong (i've changed the name of the phone, no difference) - just appears to not be able to notice when the phone is not present, still thinking it is.

Would imagine its dongle/Blue related rather than your script but any ideas?

Comment

What does the discovery virtual device show for time/date when it was last detected and at the same time what is the actual client time/date? i.e.

Homeseer PC - Updated: 12/07/2009 17:58:33

Polling: 20s

ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXX (N95) - Last detected: 12/07/2009 17:58:33

The device created for the phone, you should get something similar to:

Jon (N95) Last detected: 12/07/2009 17:58:33 [00:00:00]

If you turn off the phone, the time in the square brackets should increase as it compares the date it was last found to the clients last update time
                        Jon

Comment

Dont pair it, Windows will always report that it is there if it is paired regardless of whether it is or not.

I have installed the script and everything is great, but I cant use it with my iPhone I'm thinking of trying to tie my linux box into an event somehow since it CAN see it when I use hcitool name XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX It returns my phones name if it can see it and null (empty) if it cant see it

Comment

I've had 27 downloads so far.

I would be interested from a response from someone in the USA who has everything working correctly. I've had one user with problems and I'm wondering if it is a date format issue.
                            Jon,

I downloaded it Friday, then my broadband went down for 2 days. I could sit here and read your directions, but with no way to download Blue 0.1. Frustrating!

Anyway, I've got it installed and running. No date issue at all. My locale settings are mm/dd/yyyy, and that's the way it is showing up, and correctly.

I have to say I'm amazed at how well the little dongle picks up the presence of our devices. I've got it installed only on my HS machine in the basement, and it consistently detects my daughter's phone in her bedroom, two floors up and on the opposite end of the house.

Great work as usual Jon.

Steve

Comment

When the wife came home just now it detected her phone and fired off the event I had setup for it (It just said the time is all) but it took awhile for it to see it, even though she was well within range of the PC running HS. I will look into it more to see if it's the xap BLue app thats taking so long or something else...

Comment

Working...
                              X