No announcement yet.

Jon00 UK Skybox RS232 port parser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be perfect - it'll take me a couple of days to try it though, back to work tomorrow

Look forward to trying it out

Comment

Email sent!
      Jon

Comment

Last edited by jon00; November 15, 2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Just downloaded and installed the updated version - seems to be running quite happily with 2 Sky boxes connected (waiting on a serial cable for the 3rd). Only comment I'd make is that with log entries turned on I see a lot of duplication in the updates - Updates seem to have partial program descriptions and repeat until the string is complete, I'm guessing it's something to do with the timing of the XML stream ?

16/11/2012 07:56:06 - Jon00_Skybox - Program details: The Sp
          16/11/2012 07:56:06 - Jon00_Skybox - Program details: The Speedy Sailfish: Animated deep sea adventures with Captain Barnacles and his explorers. Barnacles and Kwazii use some speedy sailfish to round up all the Gu
          16/11/2012 07:56:06 - Jon00_Skybox - Program details: The Speedy Sailfish: Animated deep sea adventures with Captain Barnacles and his explorers. Barnacles and Kwazii use some speedy sailfish to round up all the Gups. [AD,S]
          There's also some special characters that appear in the program title sometimes e.g.
          16/11/2012 07:52:07 - Jon00_Skybox - Program title: ?Chris Evans?
          Not a big deal but would be nice to have them parsed out

Thanks
          Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin,

The data coming out of the Sky box serial port has to be fed into a buffer as there is no consistancy with the output. I'll take a look to see if I can improve on monitoring the packet length to stop this happening.

As for the strange characters, did you happen to notice what was displayed on the screen?
            Jon

Comment

I'm wondering if the strange characters are due to the different Sky boxes, here's the output for the Sky HD box:
              16/11/2012 14:25:39 - Jon00_Skybox - Program title: Steve Wright in the Afternoon
              But from the multiroom box I get:
              16/11/2012 14:26:19 - Jon00_Skybox - Program title: ?Steve Wright in the Afternoon?
              The Sky HD is the Sky branded Amstrad DRX890 and the multiroom box is a Pace 440N.

Get exactly the same text on the TV screen from both boxes.

Comment

Version 0.81 is now available.

Added experimental boot/reboot flag.
                No Poll off timer.
                Program title filtering.
                Internal changes and bug fixes.
                Jon

Comment

Running the updated version quite nicely - The strange characters have been eliminated and all seems pretty robust. Need to install another serial card for the 3rd box as it seems 10 serial ports aren't enough

Kevin

Comment

Still running fine with 3 Sky boxes - I've also dug out an ancient Dusky control box I've had in a drawer for years, I suspect it uses the older Binary protocol (Just emailed them to find out). Any suggestions how to use it ? I could figure out how to script to open a com port and send some ASCII but no idea how to deal with Binary/Hex.

Thanks
                    Kevin

Comment

Obviously it depends on the protocol but sending Hex to a com port is not that difficult. Take a look at this thread.
                      Jon

Comment

Working...
                      X