Jon00 Email V4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon00 Email V4

I started working on an updated version (V4) of my Email package last April but due to family illness I did not have much time to continue with it. I have finally managed to find time over this festive period to complete and packaged it up for trial.

An many will remember, my email scripts were originally written for Homeseer 1 and uses old Windows COM objects to read emails from the servers. In reality, the entire package needs a total re-write using new .NET components to bring it totally up to date. Due to the sheer effort and time needed, this is currently not possible. For some reason, there is still a fan base for this package so I have decided to continue to support the existing code for the time being. Hopefully with V4, it should be possible to change the code to support Homeseer 3. Most of the limitations of recent developments can still be overcome including the use of STunnel as a SSL wrapper and adding a single OCX file (supplied) to Windows 7 & 8 installations.

One of the most common issues raised with version 3 was the sheer number of settings available which made things look more complex than it actually was. In this version, I have removed many from the ini file and set them internally to default values. If you are a tinkerer, or want to use some of the advanced features, these are still available but will need to be added manually.

In many respects V4 is very similar to V3. All web pages have been given an overhaul with new icons and cleaner interface. The main email checking script has now been converted to a standalone client (exe file). This takes most of the strain away from Homeseer when checking for new email and should be more responsive.

Several new features have been added but also several old features have been removed. This include:

Added optional encryption to mail server passwords
    Added support for image blocking in HTML emails
    Added alternative side-by-side view to list/view emails
    Added support for only announcing emails with defined strings in the subject heading.
    Added better printing support for displayed emails
    Added a single multi-purpose and powerful email triggering method from a number of email metrics.

Removed printing of emails from defined addresses
    Removed the old triggered script methods

I decided to provide a new directory naming structure so that you can also install V4 with V3 installed. Both will work independently (provided you use different virtual device codes) and you can stop using V3 once you have configured V4 correctly.

If you would like to try the new version before release (to help find any bugs etc), please send me an email.
    Jon

A few small bugs have been found and corrected. If anyone else would like to assist with testing this version, please let me know.
    Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,
      I would like to assist with V4. I'm getting a strange message with V3
      2/2/2013 3:23:32 PM Jon00_Email Error in Pops subroutine Block F: 76 - Could not find a part of the path 'C:\HomeSeer2\data\Email\1'.
      Maybe this would fix the problem that I'm having.

Aldo

Comment

Sorry, I was out for the evening. Check your email.
        Jon

Comment

I am getting those same error messages. It started, I think, when I installed the latest HS2 beta. The folders with only numbers as names are getting deleted somehow. I'd also like to try out V4.

Bill

Comment

Bill,

Please send me an email.
            Jon

Comment

Jon,

When I try to access /jon00email/EmailConfig.aspx

I get this error in the log:

2/9/2013 7:51:22 PM - Error - Script compile error in encrypted script

Bill

Comment

I'm not sure Bill.

What version of HS are you using?

Can you view the /jon00email/readmail1.aspx page?
                Jon

Comment

Jon,

That page did the same thing.

I'm using the 2.5.0.76 beta. I should have time later today to roll back to 2.5.0.60 to confirm it is the beta causing the problem.

Bill

Comment

Bill,

I remember, I had this before with another tester.

In Homeseer's Settings.txt, please search for ScriptingReferences=

If it already has entries add the following to the end:

,System.Drawing;System.Drawing.dll

If you cannot find it, add the following immediately below the [Settings]

ScriptingReferences=System.Drawing;System.Drawing.dll
                    Jon

Comment

Thanks, Jon, that was it.

Bill

Comment

Jon,

Tried to send an email command, and got an error, also the confirmation email was not sent.

Code:
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	hs has 1 new email message
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	hs has 2 emails in this mailbox
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Info - Trigger password detected in email subject or body
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Info - Password = >PASSWORD<
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Info - Confirmation = >1<
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Info - Value1 = ><
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Info - Value2 = ><
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Info - Value3 = ><
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Info - Value4 = ><
                        2/11/2013 12:26:09 PM	Jon00_Email	Error in Confirm subroutine: Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid.
                        Bill

Comment

Bill,

I moved your post to the correct thread.

I was going to remove the password trigger in V4 but then decided to leave it in (so not much testing).

What were you trying to trigger?
                          Jon

Comment

Jon,

Actually I didn't try to trigger anything. As per an example in the documentation, I just sent PASSWORD;1 with nothing else. I also tried turning a x10 device on, and the device turned on, but I still got the error. Everything else seems to be working.

Bill

Comment

OK, Thanks.

I'll put it on the list of things to do.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X