Checking for HS running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking for HS running

I posted this in another area, but that was before I got to using your remote computer monitor.

Using it, I can monitor the status of other PC's on the network. However, what about if HS goes down?

Is there a way (perhaps in the applet that is installed on the clients) to ping back to the HS box for connectivity? If the HS box doesn't respond it can send an email to notify you that your HS box is experiencing troubles.

I don't have to necessarily be able to restart the computer - I would just like to know if the box is offline. Would help with the WAF - if I get a call from her that the lights aren't working I will already know if it's because the HS box is offline.

Surely you want to try and keep Homeseer running wherever possible, rather than being notified that it down?

Provided you have the compatible hardware/bios on your Homeseer PC, it can all be done for free!

If you run HSPro, the built in watchdog does a good job in monitoring Homeseer. If you have Homeseer 2, you can run my watchdog script (available on my site) which will do the same thing. I actually know a couple of people using HSPro who run both, just to make sure!

For power failure, make sure that the Bios is set to always turn on when power is applied.

Finally, make sure you have WOL enabled (magic packets) on your network card. You can then run Depicis WOL which can be run via Windows scheduler (set to 5-10 minutes recurring) on other PC's connected to your Network. If the PC is turned off, the magic packets will start it up again!

If all this fails, there is not much your wife can do as it is probably a software/hardware fault!
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      If you run HSPro, the built in watchdog does a good job in monitoring Homeseer. If you have Homeseer 2, you can run my watchdog script (available on my site) which will do the same thing. I actually know a couple of people using HSPro who run both, just to make sure!
      What is the built in watchdog? I have HSPro...

Comment

It is called HSSentry. You have to enable it from the Setup, General Tab.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetBoySI View Post
          Would help with the WAF - if I get a call from her that the lights aren't working I will already know if it's because the HS box is offline.
          In a case where she calls, I wouldn't think saying "Yes I know" is going to help the WAF at all.
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            In a case where she calls, I wouldn't think saying "Yes I know" is going to help the WAF at all.
            You have a point... hahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
              Surely you want to try and keep Homeseer running wherever possible, rather than being notified that it down?

Provided you have the compatible hardware/bios on your Homeseer PC, it can all be done for free!

If you run HSPro, the built in watchdog does a good job in monitoring Homeseer. If you have Homeseer 2, you can run my watchdog script (available on my site) which will do the same thing.
              For power failure, make sure that the Bios is set to always turn on when power is applied.

Finally, make sure you have WOL enabled (magic packets) on your network card. You can then run Depicis WOL which can be run via Windows scheduler (set to 5-10 minutes recurring) on other PC's connected to your Network. If the PC is turned off, the magic packets will start it up again!

If all this fails, there is not much your wife can do as it is probably a software/hardware fault!
              Couple o' tings...

For some reason, I cannot find the BIOS setting to always turn on when the power is applied - that is a user issue on my part that I need to work through -

As far as the premise behind this, what originally brought me to this place is that the PC's power supply went kablooey - because we were home, I heard some cracking in the speakers and went downstairs to investigate. With the logic here, If the PC turns off, another PC on the network will turn it back on again. In my fan example above, the PC wasn't able to turn back on again. If I were out, I would want to know that the PC shut down.

So with those thoughts, any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                Perhaps adding "I'm working on it" after "Yes I know" would be a better response.

Even if there is nothing I can do, she will still know I am aware of it and think I'm on it. haha!

I think they call that "managing expectations"...

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetBoySI View Post
                  So with those thoughts, any other ideas?
                  How about this?
                  Jon

Comment

I use The Dude network monitor that runs on my Router

Comment

Working...
                    X