Jon00 i-Buddy Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon00 i-Buddy Controller

Homeseer 2 and Homeseer 3 versions available!

The i-Buddy is a small USB figure in the form of an MSN messenger contact with butterfly wings. Its head can light up in 7 different colours, its heart can light up the wings can flap and its body can twist, all the while drawing its power from the USB port. The software supplied with the i-Buddy is linked with MSN Messenger, where the i-Buddy will respond to emoticons that people send you. Primarily sold in Europe and Asia, these were popular in 2008-9. They are still available for purchase in many places and I have seen them on e-bay and Amazon for a few pounds. In some localities, they are also known an e-Buddy.

For many, these buddies were pointless, annoying and for many were sent to an early death. With the demise of MSN Messenger (moving to Skype), the remaining buddies will fall silent forever. …until now!

You now have the chance to resurrect or even purchase your own i-Buddy or two and get them to do something useful (he says, tongue in cheek)!

For the cost, they do make very good message indicators. With the ability to control the colours of the head and operate its heart light, they could be used for a variety of indicators such as Phone message waiting, number of emails etc. As you have complete control of all functions, you can even animate your i-Buddy to express your moods to your partner!

Features:

» Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light Blue
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light Cyan
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light Green
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light Magenta
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light Red
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light Yellow
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light White
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy head Light Off
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy heart Light On
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy heart Light Off
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy body Left
    » Ability to turn the i-buddy Body Right
    » Ability to move the wings up
    » Ability to move the wings down
    » Ability to animate any of the above with variable time delays and loops

Control is achieved by a command string sent via Homeseer to clients operating the i-buddy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jon00; November 10, 2013, 02:29 PM.
    Jon

LOL, the worst part is that I have one as well...Just found it again last week and never bothered to set it up as MSN is on its way out....

I'd love to try this script out except that I use a Homeseer SE Pro (which is hidden away and I'd rather not plug in the i-buddy directly to it). I don't suppose there would be a way for me to hook up the i-buddy to my regular desktop and have it interact with either my Homeseer SE Pro or ISY994i?

Comment

You sure can. It can be plugged into any PC on your network.
      Jon

Comment

I like these sort of plugins for lots of reasons, but the main one is:

It becomes more and more likely that we will see the Jon00 Mind Reading Plugin , if you are able to automate an msn accessory mind reading is not that far off .

Could i make a fun suggestion, your next automation plugin should be to create a plugin for one of those USB dart guns, that would bring homeseer to a whole new level .

e.g. if house is armed, and wrong code is entered then fire NERF dart at position x

lol
        HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
          You sure can. It can be plugged into any PC on your network.
          Were you born awesome or is that something that developped over time?

Comment

Hmmm, did some searching and can't find any place to purchase one in the USA.

Even tried Amazon and eBay, nothing found.

Anybody have better luck?
            Bryan
            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Hue Philips

Hi Jon.
              May i suggest you look into Philips hue. At Jon style quality plugin to hue bulbs would be great!
              Best,
              Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAnvil View Post
                Were you born awesome or is that something that developped over time?
                It happened when I was dropped as a baby
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
                  Hmmm, did some searching and can't find any place to purchase one in the USA.

Even tried Amazon and eBay, nothing found.

Anybody have better luck?
                  Do a search on Google.com (shopping) for "i-buddy msn"
                  Jon

Comment

Hahaha! This is great! I just ordered a i-buddy (from here), and I'm looking forward to test this!
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

By the way, I forgot to mention in the docs that you can just plug the device into a USB port and it will be recognised by Windows (XP upwards) without additional drivers. I tested this in XP and Win 7.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by travisdh View Post
                        Could i make a fun suggestion, your next automation plugin should be to create a plugin for one of those USB dart guns, that would bring homeseer to a whole new level .

e.g. if house is armed, and wrong code is entered then fire NERF dart at position x

lol
                        You need to look at this video: http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/19585
                        Jon

Comment

Nice...

Hello Jon,

this is a funny and interesting idea ...

Installed on 3 computers (yes 3 i-Buddy's) and I'm using the colors of the head to display the weather forecast for the next day.

The position of the wings to identify the closing / opening of the outside gates.

I tried to install on 2 other computers (Kid's school computers with windows 7 professional - 32 bit), but contrary to normal, i-buddy is not recognized and when I try to run the executable (jon00ibuddy) get a warning "Jon00iBuddy crashed"

...Yes ... the installation was done properly (in the same way as other PC's operating well) and as described... checked several times

Any idea why this error?

On computers that fail I also tried to install the i-Buddy manager (from the installation cd) and it runs (does the basic moves)...

Thanks!

Comment

So is this just working on 1 PC at the moment?

Did you copy all the Homeseer DLL's to the client directory? There should be 6 files in total within the directory.

I would also remove the i-buddy manager as there will be a conflict with the software trying to use the same USB dll.
                            Last edited by jon00; March 16, 2013, 06:30 AM.
                            Jon

Comment

No at this moment it's working in 3pc's (homeseer server + 2 desktop)
                              But I would like to have it running in the homeseer server and in the kid's computers...
                              Yes I copied all the files as instructed

Comment

Working...
                              X