deleting emails after event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded your script yesterday and got the initial setup successfully done. As i started playing around with the script and it's settings, I didn't see a means to have it delete the messages from the server upon download. Is that feature available? I'd also like it to be able to delete the email from the inbox after executing it's action. I skimmed thru the docs several times and if this is possible, it wasn't obvious to me how to do it.

I've set up an email account on my mail server (exchange 2003 with POP & IMAP support) just for this script. I plan on using this script to recieve messages sent from apple's Find My Friends app and parse the subject line and set statuses based on the incoming emails. I want to use this for occupancy/vacancy sensing. I think this will be a good way to use the technology already in the pocket of all my family members as a way to tell HS who's home and who's not at any given time.

So to eliminate the need to do manual maintenance, and keep everything streamlined, I'd like for the script to delete the message from the server as soon as it's downloaded. And then once it's in the local mailbox, I'd like it to perform it's action, and then delete the message from the local mailbox. So that at any given time, it should have no messages just sitting in the inbox for more than a few moments.

Is this doable?

Thanks!

Yes assuming you know the address, sender or subject contents... the details are in the checkpop.ini document:

For example with the address...

The following entries are not added to the checkpop.ini file by default. If you wish to use any of these features, please add these manually.

[DeleteOnAddress1]
    Emailaddress="TheEmailYouWantDeleted@123.com"

If you receive an email from TheEmailYouWantDeleted@123.com then this will be deleted from the mail server. It is not case sensitive.

You can add as many [DeleteOnAddressX] entries as you wish but they must be sequentially numbered.

Actions are carried out first before they are deleted.
    Jon

Comment

Ok. I think I follow. I saw those delete options but I wasn't sure how they interacted with the event processing. So for every email subject received event, ill have a matching delete event.

So, just so i understand how this works, is there a difference between the server mailbox and the local mailbox? Or does the local mailbox always reflect what's on the server? In other words, do I need to manage them separately or just managing the server is enough to manage the local mailbox?

Is there a point of diminishing returns regarding the frequency of checking the server mailbox? I see the default is 10 minutes. Is there a downside to having it check every 1 minute or even 15 seconds? I'm thinking that creating a more frequent poll interval will make for more responsive events in my application.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The mailbox contain copies of emails on the mail server so unless you delete them via the delete options or download and delete via another method, they will stay there.

Yes, you need to set up triggers both for event triggering and deletion. There are several different methods as per the docs.

You can reduce the polling to 1 minute which will speed up the response times. I would not recommend you go lower than 30 secs.
        Jon

Comment

Perfect. Thanks for the quick help!

--Jon Chuchla--

Comment

One more question. Is it ok to delete the unused lines in the Ini file such as the extra unused mailbox sections? I know its not necessary but it makes for a cleaner file.
            Ok. I guess one more question. Can I put comments in the Ini file? Is there any particular syntax to use?

--Jon Chuchla--

Comment

Working...
            X