Checking health of HS server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking health of HS server

Is there a way of checking HS server status? I would like to be email or notified if the server has or getting close to any issue that may cause a system failure. Does this exists?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Not an easy one to answer. There are numerous things which could affect the health of a server ranging from hardware failure (PSU, motherboard, hard drives, fans, memory etc) or software related i.e. drivers, memory leaks, viruses etc.

I do provide a number of tools that can monitor many of these, however configuring the trigger values would be individual to your hardware/software and are not normally generic settings.
    Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon for responding. I understand what u mean about the triggers, every server has diferent creteria. What are the tools you are referring to?
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
        Is there a way of checking HS server status? I would like to be email or notified if the server has or getting close to any issue that may cause a system failure. Does this exists?
        Jon's tools are great and worth a look. Unfortunately there simply is not a reliable predictor of catastrophic failures in computers. S.M.A.R.T. can sometimes predict a failure of a hard drive,but more often than not, they fail without warning. Main board components, memory, CPU and PSUs will rarely give a sign of "impending failure". You can detect overheating due to fan failure or even just a fan failure, but those kind of failures are seldom the cause of a catastrophic computer failure.

The best thing to do is concentrate on a recovery plan, which can be as simple as a system image backup and frequent backups of critical programs and files, to keeping redundant hardware on hand to quickly bring up a backup server.

For HomeSeer I run on a VM and backup HS3 folder to a NAS twice a day. I have a physical server set up that can be brought online with the most recent HomeSeer backup in a matter of minutes.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          Thanks Jon for responding. I understand what u mean about the triggers, every server has diferent creteria. What are the tools you are referring to?
          You can look at Speedfan monitor, Performance Monitor, Process Monitor and Drive Space Monitor
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X