Seneye Aquarium/Pond monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Having just bought a Reef device, my "Cloud Connectivity" is showing as disconnected.

Does this take a while to change, and am I right that the device is confirming that the Seneye App is connected to the cloud service?

The Seneye app is showing all ok...as is the script last updated time.

Thanks
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

It should be checking the SenEye SWS connectivity but I have to admit it has been flaky recently. Are you getting updates on other metrics OK?
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        It should be checking the SenEye SWS connectivity but I have to admit it has been flaky recently. Are you getting updates on other metrics OK?
        Hi Jon

All other seems to be updating ok - in that it agrees with the Seneye app which is on the HS box.

I will keep an eye on it....

Out of interest, are you taking part in their V2 Beta I see mentioned?

Comment

I know the beta was available but decided not to participate.
          Jon

Comment

Does anyone know if these are a USB/serial device? I'm wondering if they can be sniffed locally instead of going to the cloud.

Comment

They are USB devices:

https://www.seneye.com/store/seneye-home-device.html

There is a USB driver to talk to them directly: https://github.com/seneye/SUDDriver

Personally, I've never had a issue from polling from the cloud.

Jon

Comment

The cloud thing is more of a personal preference. I feel it's better resource management, and even security, if I keep the traffic local.

My friend is the one who already owns the Seneye. He wanted me to look at eliminating all of his separate timers and controls and go to one central controller. He was also wondering if there was a way to get out of the $10/mnth cost for the seneye. So, I'll keep researching. I would imaging I can get from the sensor, to a driving circuit, and to an analog input. Thank you for your response.

Comment

You can look at the local data exchange method (which was not available when I wrote this): https://github.com/seneye/LDE

The slides only have a limited life hence the monthly replacement cost. The more you poll the reduction in life expectancy:

The usable life of a seneye slide is 30 days. However, this is with a reading taken no more frequently than every 30 minutes. An increase in the number of readings taken over the 30 days will decrease the life of the slide. Warranties cannot be provided for the accuracy of the results for pH and NH3 if the number of readings per 30 days exceeds 1 every 30 minutes. As a rough guide the life of the slide will decrease proportually to the increase in the number of readings per month. i.e if take a reading every 15 minutes, the life of the slide will be 15 days.
                  You will still need the cloud to activate slides.
                  Jon

Comment

Thank you for the link. That's getting closer. I was really hoping to be able to set him up with a Zee, plug that Seneye directly into it, and just sniff the data. But, as you were leading towards with the driver, it will need it's application running still.

I understand the slide has a useful life limit. And I am very green to much of this. The factories I've worked at in the past have had pH and other monitoring. We didn't need to replace the sensors that frequently IIRC. I don't want to get your thread to far off topic. So, I will continue to reSearch.

Comment

Out of curiosity, as someone looking to purchase this, are both components required (web server and USB device)? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeves View Post
                        Out of curiosity, as someone looking to purchase this, are both components required (web server and USB device)? Thanks in advance!
                        Yes, you buy the USB device of your choice, then the SWS which is the web server - two versions I believe are still available - an ethernet only version (which I have) and an ethernet/wifi version.

If your Seneye device is connected to a PC you do not need the SWS device to get the data into the Seneye cloud which Jon00 then polls.

David

Comment

Hi Jon,
                          For the past couple days I have been unsuccessful in getting the Seneye data from the cloud:
                          Jon00_Seneye Error - cannot download data from Seneye cloud!
                          Dec-11 2:54:24 PM Jon00_Seneye Error at
                          Error - cannot download data from Seneye cloud!
                          Error - cannot download data from Seneye cloud!
                          Dec-11 2:44:24 PM Jon00_Seneye Error at Main Block 5 The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
                          I confirmed The SWS is uploading, and I can see the same data online in the cloud. How can I troubleshoot this further?

thanks,
                          Mike
                          Mike

Comment

Yes, mine is broken too. It looks like they have updated their API SSL TLS to V1.2

I'll get an update out this week.
                            Jon

Comment

V1.0.3 is now available.

This corrects the error reported due to changes with the API SSL authentication.
                              Jon

Comment

thanks Jon!
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X