This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script Parameter as a replacement variable

Is it a difficult change to make the script parameter leverage the replacement variables and then subsequently process the contents of the replacement variable to have the *, #, and ~ characters translated?

I have created a script that processes a series of (yes/no) questions from Alexa. Depending on the answer to the question, subsequent questions are either processed or skipped. I could easily control the logic flow in the script procedure by changing the script parameter inside the script procedure through the use of replacement variables.

For example, I could set a primary trigger to be: "Good Night"

Script parameter could be set to "1:~:*".
    This would represent (Response/Question #1:Echo Location:Alexa Text). The Alexa Text would be either 'yes' or 'no'.

Inside the Script procedure, I process response #1. If the response is 'no', I want to process question #2, otherwise I want to process question #3. I would change the script parameter to either "2:~:*" or "3:~:*". I could place this string in a device text and then place replacement variable [devicetext 823] in the Script Parameter field of the Alexa Helper.

Adding replacement variables to script parameters would simplify the setup of these types of dialogs significantly.

Comment

I've had to read this a few times.

So to be clear, you want the script parameter entry to be run through the Replacement variables (RV) routine first so that you can then use something like [DeviceText 823] to provide the actual script parameter you wish to process? The *, #, and ~ characters would then be processed (if contained in the device text) as before?

I'm not sure I would want the script parameter going through the RV routine at all times but I could use another wildcard character to initiate this. Something like $[DeviceText 823]. The $ would have to be the first character and anything after that would then be passed though the RV routine.

I am on the right track?
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        I've had to read this a few times.

So to be clear, you want the script parameter entry to be run through the Replacement variables (RV) routine first so that you can then use something like [DeviceText 823] to provide the actual script parameter you wish to process? The *, #, and ~ characters would then be processed (if contained in the device text) as before?

I'm not sure I would want the script parameter going through the RV routine at all times but I could use another wildcard character to initiate this. Something like $[DeviceText 823]. The $ would have to be the first character and anything after that would then be passed though the RV routine.

I am on the right track?
        Yes - so much better explained that I did!!! That's exactly what I meant...

Comment

Yes that is easy to add. I'll update when I get some free time.
          Jon

Comment

i am trying to setup the smarter coffee machine, and i did exactly as shown in the guide by making a new entry trigger page and 3 response triggers but when i ask alexa to ask home seer to make coffee it answers : that device was not found.. why is that?

Comment

Sounds like you are trying to run before you can walk.

Have you tried a basic setup to trigger something from Alexa?
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                Sounds like you are trying to run before you can walk.

Have you tried a basic setup to trigger something from Alexa?

Lol

even worse, i dont know which is walking and which is running.

what do you mean a basic setup?

i only copied the trigger and 3 responses from that page.. there is a script in the top page but i ignored it.

Comment

Did you read the instructions?
                  Jon

Comment

I only want to set up the smarter coffee machine

i cant read the instructions, it is in norwegian, and when i translate it the english is not clear..

i followed the photos and created trigger one , and response trigger 1,2,3
                    as mentioned.. thats it..

i tried to read Jon00 alexa pdf but it is complicated, the only thing i understood was that in order to open the plugin replace the /deviceUtility with jon00alexa.vb or so.. then there were configuring .ini file which i couldn't understand.. i posted a thread in the "general discussions" area and you replied to me and said just configure the triggers and thats it.

Comment

German Numbers

Hi,

Brilliant addon, as usual!

Any chance to get number parsing to work for languages other than English? I'd offer my help for the German part and I'm sure there's plenty of native speakers around for other languages as well!

Cheers,
                      Alex

Comment

Hey Jon,

Having a fantastic time since you helped me get the Echo working with your fab helper !

Couple of questions...

1) I tried to use the official UK skill rather than the developer version when it became available, but it seemed to not recognise any of the commands that had previousloy worked flawlessly with the developer skill. Is there anything that needs doing/refreshing when converting over?

For the moment, I've reverted back to the developer version and everything works well. Is there any benefit migrating anyway?

2) I've added 50+ triggers in your helper. Is there any possibility that the interface will show the triggers more visibily moving forwards? At the moment, I either have to select every trigger individually to try and find one, or alternatively have to go through the config file to find a trigger. I'm thinking something along the same lines as the Events page - where the heading or name of each trigger would be displayed in a long list, with expandable sections if you want to look at an individual trigger?

Once again, thanks for all the hard work you put into these fab plugins for us !

Cheers,

Jay

Comment

Feb-20 7:07:27 PM Error Compiling script Jon00Alexa.vben: Timed out waiting for a program to execute. The command being executed was "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\vbc.exe" /noconfig @"C:\Users\homeseer\AppData\Local\Temp\ctx5w5tl.cmdline".

Comment

Originally posted by Ramymounir View Post
                            I only want to set up the smarter coffee machine

i cant read the instructions, it is in norwegian, and when i translate it the english is not clear..

i followed the photos and created trigger one , and response trigger 1,2,3
                            as mentioned.. thats it..

i tried to read Jon00 alexa pdf but it is complicated, the only thing i understood was that in order to open the plugin replace the /deviceUtility with jon00alexa.vb or so.. then there were configuring .ini file which i couldn't understand.. i posted a thread in the "general discussions" area and you replied to me and said just configure the triggers and thats it.
                            The smarter coffee machine demonstrated uses a plugin by Moskus. I don't believe he has released it yet? It also uses a script to operate his plugin. Unless you have both installed, nothing will work.

The Alexa helper does not need any programming knowledge, however you do need to understand what it does and how it operates.
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by akurz View Post
                              Hi,

Brilliant addon, as usual!

Any chance to get number parsing to work for languages other than English? I'd offer my help for the German part and I'm sure there's plenty of native speakers around for other languages as well!

Cheers,
                              Alex
                              I assume you are using your own dev skill with your echo? If you have the latest Intent Schema defined (which is now the only supported method), numbers should appear as 123 and not eins zwei drei.
                              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jayceekeys View Post
                                Hey Jon,

Having a fantastic time since you helped me get the Echo working with your fab helper !

Couple of questions...

1) I tried to use the official UK skill rather than the developer version when it became available, but it seemed to not recognise any of the commands that had previousloy worked flawlessly with the developer skill. Is there anything that needs doing/refreshing when converting over?

For the moment, I've reverted back to the developer version and everything works well. Is there any benefit migrating anyway?

2) I've added 50+ triggers in your helper. Is there any possibility that the interface will show the triggers more visibily moving forwards? At the moment, I either have to select every trigger individually to try and find one, or alternatively have to go through the config file to find a trigger. I'm thinking something along the same lines as the Events page - where the heading or name of each trigger would be displayed in a long list, with expandable sections if you want to look at an individual trigger?

Once again, thanks for all the hard work you put into these fab plugins for us !

Cheers,

Jay
                                The official UK Homeseer skill is for smart home devices whereas the dev skill is equivalent to the Homeseer smart Home skill. Both can be installed and work independently.

See option 1 and option 2 here.

Are you naming your triggers? The drop down should reflect the names for easy identification.
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X