This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
    Amazon require independent skill approval for both US and UK sites. Due to changes in their skill API requirements last year, the existing Homeseer Home Automation skill on the US site would never get certification in the UK and if HST made any changes to this skill for US, it would lose its certification there too.

Therefore for UK accounts, the only option is to create your own dev skill which has been modified to work in a similar fashion to the US Homeseer Home Automation skill.
    Thanks for the insight, I hope they get it sorted out and we can all enjoy the HS skills in each country

Creating a dev skill is not hard and details can be found in the thread I posted earlier.
    I looked at the thread you provided but you comment "Some people have had difficulty getting this working recently....." and the latest replies scared me away I'll keep monitoring it and as soon as it seems to be working again I'll try for myself.

Comment

If you don't try it yourself, you will never know!

I know a few people follow this thread. How many of you have tried to create your own dev skill? Did you get this working or not?
      Jon

Comment

Isolate a portion of the [alexatext] string?

Is it possible to isolate the variable portion of the AlexaText string WITHOUT the actual trigger words.

For example, for the request "Open garage door" or "Close garage door", I'd like to isolate the "open" or "close" to pass as parameters. In other words, the [alexatext] string without the actual trigger words "garage door"

As another example, I'd like to set a virtual device to a string. For request "Note to self, pick up bread" and using "Note to self" as trigger, I'd like to isolate just the "pick up bread".

It seems this variable portion could be implemented as a separate Replacement String or have just the actual matching terms as a Replacement String and use the [replace] capability to remove the matching terms from the whole string.

Thoughts?

Comment

You can do all that with simple scripts.

Setting the Script parameter field with just a * will pass the Alexa Text string to the script. Therefore you could run a script something like:

Code:
              Sub Main(ByVal Data As String)

If Data.ToLower.Contains("open") Then
                      ' do something with open
                  ElseIf Data.ToLower.Contains("closed") Then
                      'do something with close
                  End If

End Sub
          Similarly you could parse out the note...something like:

Code:
              Sub Main(ByVal Data As String)

Dim NoteToSelf As String = ""
                  If Data.ToLower.Contains("note to self") Then
                      NoteToSelf = Data.Substring(Data.IndexOf("note to self", StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) + 12).Trim
                      hs.SetDeviceString(1234, NoteToSelf, True)
                  End If
              End Sub
          Jon

Comment

If you don't try it yourself, you will never know!

I know a few people follow this thread. How many of you have tried to create your own dev skill? Did you get this working or not?
            I did and I'm living in the Netherlands as wel but unfortunately still stuck on "Tel Homeseer to...." from Alexa; "Sorry, I am having trouble accessing your skill right now" see post #729.

Edit: working now thanks to Jon (see post #816).
            Last edited by Broes; May 10, 2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Re: Isolate a portion of the [alexatext] string?

Thank you for the quick reply and examples!

I was hoping, however, to have Alexa confirm (via response trigger) the variable info before calling a script. So it looks like I would need a script to parse the initial request, then I don't know what.

For instance, in my initial example of "Open/Close garage door", being able to isolate the variable part would allow me to directly use a Response Trigger to confirm the Open/Close request.

Also, with script example you provided, I still need to know what the trigger words were to remove them, instead of passing them to the script.

I appreciate your time as I work through this. Ideally, having access to and being able to apply a RegEx match/replace to the text string would solve all issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Broes View Post
                I did and I'm living in the Netherlands as wel but unfortunately still stuck on "Tel Homeseer to...." from Alexa; "Sorry, I am having trouble accessing your skill right now" see post #729.
                Would you please email me screenshots of all the dev setup pages and I'll see if I can spot something.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by wcross View Post
                  Thank you for the quick reply and examples!

I was hoping, however, to have Alexa confirm (via response trigger) the variable info before calling a script. So it looks like I would need a script to parse the initial request, then I don't know what.

For instance, in my initial example of "Open/Close garage door", being able to isolate the variable part would allow me to directly use a Response Trigger to confirm the Open/Close request.

Also, with script example you provided, I still need to know what the trigger words were to remove them, instead of passing them to the script.

I appreciate your time as I work through this. Ideally, having access to and being able to apply a RegEx match/replace to the text string would solve all issues.
                  Would you please give me an actual example of your conversation with Alexa and actions. Maybe I'm misunderstand but you seem to be complicating things when this could be achieved by several triggers/response triggers.
                  Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jimbrandon View Post
                    Do you think you will develop this for Google Home?

I like the Echo but I feel in the long run Google Home will fit better into my family's way of life.

I know Google Home is fairly new and not available world wide but the release date for the UK is second quarter of 2017.
                    I see you now have Google Home working with Homeseer's action under service. Have you tried it with this Helper yet? If not, can you give it a try as GH uses the same script hook as the Echo.
                    Jon

Comment

I am aware that some people have had trouble getting Chrome to work properly to read the Alexa history.
                      I saw this and @Jon wondered if something similar might help; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYO6...ature=youtu.be

Comment

I'm not sure there is an issue with reading the history; it is Chrome that has a problem with remembering credentials! I've added a couple of Chrome plugins to my setup which assist.

Using my Remote Computer Control & Network Monitor with the helper, you can easily replicate much of what is shown on the video.
                        Jon

Comment

I'm not sure there is an issue with reading the history; it is Chrome that has a problem with remembering credentials! I've added a couple of Chrome plugins to my setup which assist.

Using my Remote Computer Control & Network Monitor with the helper, you can easily replicate much of what is shown on the video.
                          I'm managing with Chrome OK - just thought it might be an interesting avenue!

Comment

When I went to look at the actual website for that application, my web advisor stopped it. Interesting that the video also mentioned Anti Virus issues.
                            Jon

Comment

Loaded for me fine. (Malwarebytes was happy)
                              Didn't work when first loaded but did following restart.

Comment

Would you please give me an actual example of your conversation with Alexa and actions. Maybe I'm misunderstand but you seem to be complicating things when this could be achieved by several triggers/response triggers.

Comment

Working...
                                X